Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 3, 2012

When updating projects I have translated previously I usually analyse in Trados 2007 and save the less than 99% matches as rtf. Then I translate this file, proofread and update the tm and finally translate the original files by Translate to fuzzy (in one go). If the customer does not pay for checking the 100% matches.
How would I proceed in Studio? I can analyse files, but do not see any possibility to extract the fuzzy matches. Do I miss something?

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:51
English to Hungarian
you don't need that hassle Jul 3, 2012

as you can hide the 100% or pretranslated matches (Studio skips them automatically anyway with default settings)

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
But if you still want the hassle... Jul 4, 2012

... you have a few options. Look under Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Translation Memory and Automated Translation - Batch Processing - Analyze Files

In here you can set options to export two kinds of files for translation as Heinrich describes.

1. Export Frequent segments
2. Export unknown segments

The first creates an sdlxliff file containing segments that are repeated throughout the project more than a number of times you specify. So this helps to deal with consistency for example through a Project where the files have not been merged first. You translate this file, then pretranslate the project again.

The second is what Heinrich is looking for. You can create an sdlxliff that is based on segments that have a fuzzy value less than a value you can set. So in this case you would set this at 99% then work as Heinrich described.

But you are correct in that the display filter does away with this practice to some extent, as does the automated skipping of these segments as you work. I suppose the benefit is again that when you have multiple files and forgot to merge them you can create a single file for translation instead of having to work through multiple files, although you do lose some of the context.

Regards

Paul

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And proofreading in Word? Jul 4, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

... you have a few options. Look under Language Pairs - All Language Pairs - Translation Memory and Automated Translation - Batch Processing - Analyze Files

In here you can set options to export two kinds of files for translation as Heinrich describes.

1. Export Frequent segments
2. Export unknown segments

The first creates an sdlxliff file containing segments that are repeated throughout the project more than a number of times you specify. So this helps to deal with consistency for example through a Project where the files have not been merged first. You translate this file, then pretranslate the project again.

The second is what Heinrich is looking for. You can create an sdlxliff that is based on segments that have a fuzzy value less than a value you can set. So in this case you would set this at 99% then work as Heinrich described.

But you are correct in that the display filter does away with this practice to some extent, as does the automated skipping of these segments as you work. I suppose the benefit is again that when you have multiple files and forgot to merge them you can create a single file for translation instead of having to work through multiple files, although you do lose some of the context.

Regards

Paul

I understand now. I would have to make the settings in advance. But I prefer to proofread in Word, and proofreaders generally do not have Studio and do not want to use it. Will Studio show only the translations of the fuzzy matches when I generate the Word-file?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Sort of... Jul 4, 2012

Hi Heinrich,

You probably won;t be able to save this to target as a word file, in the same way you won;t be able to preview the file. There is no context and no embedded information to help restore the file to it's original state.

However, you could use the SDLXLIFF Converter. here you have two options.

1. Export the whole file including 100% matches and use the automated colour coding so they know to ignore green segments for exmple as these are 100% matches. This is the better option in my opionion as the reviewer has context for the overall translation as they read though the document.

2. Export the "Exported unknown segments" only using the SDLXLIFF Converter

You can then import the changes back into Studio to update your translation and save the final target document.

You could also use the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter if you wanted Bilingual Doc format to match the process you used to use a little more closely and then if your reviewers are using their own resources in another CAT that supports Bilingual Doc then that may be better? You can import this back in to update your translation in Studio too.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I save an extract in Studio?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search