saving in studio 2011
Thread poster: STUARTSMELLIE

STUARTSMELLIE  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:31
Jul 5, 2012

Can anyone help. I am a bit of a Trados toddler and I am trying to deliver a bilingual file in Studio 2011 Starter.
My only save option for the bilingual fileseems to be in .sdlxliff format and I need to deliver in ttx rtf or doc(x).
I tried saving as word for source and target but that gives two distinct files and I cant create a bilingual by segment.

Is this an intrinsic feature of Trados or is there something I can do?


 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:31
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
legacy converter Jul 5, 2012

Ideally, you should convert your source file to ttx and then translate that in Studio. Then you can save as ttx.

However, if you've already done the translation, there's a great app at SDL OpenExchange called SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter that will do just what you are looking for:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194
Import your translated SDLXLIFF and convert it to TTX or bilingual doc.

HTH!


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
English
SDLXLIFF Jul 5, 2012

Hi,

SDLXLIFF is the native bilingual format for Studio. So if you want to return a TTX or Bilingual Doc and you are only using the Starter Edition then you have one option yourself:

Create the old bilingual file first (TTX or Bilingual Doc) using Workbench, and then translate the TTX or Bilingual Doc so that the file you get when you save target is in the same format.

The other option you have now is to ask a colleague who has the Freelance or Professional version of Studio to convert the SDLXLIFF for you to a TTX or Bilingual Doc using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter. This may not be appropriate for all customers as it depends what bthey want to do with the files they receive.

If you like I can do the conversion for you and you can ask your customer is this is acceptable? If it isn't then you need to convert the file before you translate it and then retranlsate the file in the appropriate format. I can do this conversion for you as well if necessary?

Regards

Paul


 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:31
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Starter version Jul 5, 2012

STUARTSMELLIE wrote:

I am trying to deliver a bilingual file in Studio 2011 Starter.



Sorry, I overlooked the fact that you're using the Starter version, so my advice doesn't apply. Paul is spot on, as always.


 

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:31
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Workbench and Studio 2011 Jul 5, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

SDLXLIFF is the native bilingual format for Studio. So if you want to return a TTX or Bilingual Doc and you are only using the Starter Edition then you have one option yourself:

Create the old bilingual file first (TTX or Bilingual Doc) using Workbench, and then translate the TTX or Bilingual Doc so that the file you get when you save target is in the same format.

The other option you have now is to ask a colleague who has the Freelance or Professional version of Studio to convert the SDLXLIFF for you to a TTX or Bilingual Doc using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter. This may not be appropriate for all customers as it depends what bthey want to do with the files they receive.

If you like I can do the conversion for you and you can ask your customer is this is acceptable? If it isn't then you need to convert the file before you translate it and then retranlsate the file in the appropriate format. I can do this conversion for you as well if necessary?

Regards
----------------------------

Interesting. I purchased Studio 2011, freelancer. They made me return my 2007 license, and I do not have it anymore. What am I supposed to do?
Sorry, I wrote within Paul's quote.


Paul


[Edited at 2012-07-05 23:31 GMT]


 

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
English
You should have 2007 Freelance Suite Jul 6, 2012

Luisa Ramos, CT wrote:

Interesting. I purchased Studio 2011, freelancer. They made me return my 2007 license, and I do not have it anymore. What am I supposed to do?



Hi Luisa,

You would have returned your license so we could generate a new one for the latest 2007 Freelance Suite version in addition to Studio 2011.

I can find two accounts with your name, one with no licenses at all and one with 2011 and 2007... which is also activated. Drop me an email so I can check this for you with the correct address and I'm sure we will resolve this question for you.

Regards

Paul


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

saving in studio 2011

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search