New to studio 2009: how to preview
Thread poster: Olly Pekelharing

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Jul 5, 2012

Hi, I'm using Studio 2009 for the first time today, and the first issue I've encountered is that I can't get preview to work. I'm translating a simple Word file (2010) I have saved in the same directory as the sdlxliff. This is something I've never been able to do with Excel files and the Trados' tag editior either. Am I missing something simple?

[Edited at 2012-07-05 09:59 GMT]

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Preview tab Jul 5, 2012

When your document is open for translation do you not have a small grey tab that appears in the top right-hand corner of your screen?

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
No Jul 5, 2012

I have the preview window opened. It says 'No preview available' and clicking on troubleshooting produces: 'The Word document cannot be previewed.'

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Can you export the target file? Jul 5, 2012

Hi Olly,
can you export the target file? If yes, it seems like the Office interoperatibility assemblies have not been installed properly.
This is just a shot in the dark, but have you installed Office prior to Studio, or vice versa?

XXXphxxx  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:13
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No idea then Jul 5, 2012

But does this help: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/179618-preview_function_in_studio_ms_office_2010.html ?

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Exports fine Jul 5, 2012

Yes I can export. I installed Office before Studio.

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Click-to-run Jul 5, 2012

Thanks Lisa, I didn't check the forums thoroughly enough. Looks like click-to-run may be the problem.

...and it was! Now lets see what else this Studio can do.

[Edited at 2012-07-05 12:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to studio 2009: how to preview

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search