Thread poster: FD Gabler

FD Gabler  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:38
English to German
+ ...
Jul 5, 2012

Hallo, liebe Übersetzer da drausse,

ich bin seit neuestem Trados Studio 2011-Benutzer und soll mehrspaltige Tabellen übersetzen. Dabei habe ich das Problem, dass ich nur in eine Spalte hineinübersetzen kann. Wie kann ich Trados dazu bringen, in mehrere Spalten hineinzuübersetzen (der Editor hat ja nur 2 Spalten, 1 Ausgangstextspalte und 1 Zieltextspalte). Ich konnte das Problem auch nicht über die "Vorschau" lösen, hier kann ich die verschiedenen Spalten zwar mit dem Cursor anwählen, aber trotzdem nicht über den Editor passend hineinübersetzen. Natürlich kann ich über den Tag-Editor nicht zu übersetzende Texte markieren und somit aussen vor lassen, aber mein eigentliches Problem ist: wie bekomme ich den im Editor übersetzten Text in die passende Spalte wenn ich mehrer Spalten horizontal nebeneinander zu bearbeiten habe?

Mit Dank im Voraus,

Markus

Hello translators out there,

recently I have bought Trados Studio 2011 and try to get aquainted with it. My first problem is:
I have to translate a Word-spreadsheet with four columns.
The first column is the German source language column.
The second is the English target language column.
The third column is the French target language column.
The fourth column is the Spanish target language column.

Now, how can I translate the different languages into the right columns according to the supposed languages?
Actually, I have only one target language column in the editor.
So, is there a way?

Thank you in before,

Markus

[Bearbeitet am 2012-07-05 15:07 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Correct forum Jul 5, 2012

Hi Markus,
I apologize for replying in English, but that's the language of this forum.

First of all, I suggest that you ask the moderators of this forum to move this thread to the SDL Trados Support forum.

Anyways, if I understand correctly, you are seeking to translate from column A to column B in Studio. Is that right? If so, there is currently no way you can do this in Studio natively. All you can do is generate the target file and copy-paste your translation to the appropriate columns in the original source file.

A similar problem was discussed in this thread. Perhaps it contains some information you might find useful?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stanislav Jul 5, 2012

Well, actually I have a word doc.-file and have to translate it in 3 different languages. So I have 1 column with the original text in German, and three other columns to be in French, English and Spanish. But I have only two columns in the Trados editor, so how can I put the translations in the editor to the columns of the 3 different languages?

As I understand, this is not possible?

Thanks again.

Markus

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not possible as you would like it, but there is a way Jul 5, 2012

If you want to keep the source column in German, you could prepare the document as in the following picture:

Note that the German source uses the hidden text attribute. Do that for all of the target languages.

Alternatively, you can use the "tw4win.External" Workbench style for the source text.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My problem is different Jul 5, 2012

Hello Stanislav,
thanks for your efforts.
But look, I have the problem of having 4 different vertical columns:
1 for German (source)
1 for English (target)
1 for French (target)
1 for Spanish (target)

How can I translate into this 3 different vertical target columns, using the Trados editor's two columns?

Thanks again

Markus

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
One question Jul 5, 2012

Hi Markus,
my question would be: how many translators are going to work on this job?

BTW, the two columns in Studio have nothing to do with the number of columns in the source file.

[Upraveno: 2012-07-05 16:56 GMT]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Number of translaters Jul 5, 2012

Only me, I do all languages.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Prepare a project with three target languages Jul 5, 2012

Then use a file prepared as advised and prepare a project with three target languages.

That is, use only two columns. Once you're done with the translation, open e.g. the German/English file and copy the French and Spanish columns from the other files to the German/English file.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Easier in Wordfast Pro Jul 6, 2012

For such tasks I always fire up WFP and use the advanced way for Excel-files. But also there you have to do it three times if you translate into three languages. But you get the translations automatically into the selected column.
Strange that SDL has not yet this feature, but that's the way it is.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Word-doc.-spreadsheets

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search