Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Should I upgrade from Studio 2009 to 2011?
Thread poster: Olly Pekelharing

Olly Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:53
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
Jul 5, 2012

I just noticed that I can upgrade from Studio 2009 to 2011 for 191 euros, which I consider affordable. Would it be money well spent? I've only just started out with Studio 2009 (though I bought it about a year ago), the main reason being that one major client has decided to use it (and wants their translators to too) and a new and potentially interesting client uses it as well. Can anyone sum up the main advantages of 2011 above 2009 for me? And any disadvantages? And if I upgrade from 2009 to 2011 do I get to keep the workbench? I'm aware that a lot of translators have issues with Studio so I really just want to compare 2009 and 2011, not discuss the merits of the program in general.

Thanks for your comments.

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
English to Italian
Info Jul 5, 2012

Hello
i am from SDL - so this is probably too 'commercial' but perhaps you might find it useful.

This is a list of features.
http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-freelance/#tab3

We are also very close to release a free Service Pack (Later in July) which will add some additional features such as the ability to edit source (within reason) as well as the ability to open documents (Word) with track changes on.

In regards to Workbench with Studio 2011 you retain SDL Trados 2007 Suite.

Regards
Massi

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Great news! Jul 5, 2012

ghislandi wrote:
We are also very close to release a free Service Pack (Later in July) which will add some additional features such as the ability to edit source (within reason) as well as the ability to open documents (Word) with track changes on.

Hi Massi,
this is very good news! Thanks for the info!

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
English to Macedonian
+ ...
For sure Jul 5, 2012

Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
2009 Jul 5, 2012

Hi Massimo
but by upgrading would you then retain Studio 2009 and have both versions (2009 + 2011) or just 2011?

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Workflow Jul 5, 2012

One thing I noticed, although it is a general Studio question and not related to this comparison:

My client sent me the TM as a tmx. Is this the standard exchange format with Studio? If so, why would a client insist on you using Studio, as most CAT tools can generate a tmx? Is that purely to circumvent any potential problems with importing a tmx into a Studio TM?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Both versions, unless... Jul 5, 2012

Claudia Cherici wrote:

Hi Massimo
but by upgrading would you then retain Studio 2009 and have both versions (2009 + 2011) or just 2011?

Hi Claudia,
you will be able to keep both versions, unless you uninstall TS2009. Once this is gone, you will not be able to restore its license.

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
English to Italian
Info on TMX Jul 5, 2012

Dear Olly,

the TMX is a standard format for the TM, however the client might also want the bilingual files back.

I think it is fair to say that bilingual files are a better way to update the TMs as they contain a lot more information:
- context
- formatting etc.

So perhaps the client might ask for bilingual files back at any point which would give them a better way to update.

I think other people on this forum might be able to further comment on this.

Sometimes the ways of the clients are mysterious...icon_smile.gif

Regards
Massi

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
context, formatting? Jul 5, 2012

I think it is fair to say that bilingual files are a better way to update the TMs as they contain a lot more information:
- context
- formatting etc.

Hi Massi,

context? In what way would you get more context out of a bilingual file than a TM?
formatting? Does Studio keep formatting in the TM? I thought a tmx kept only plain text (but I am by no means an expert).

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
yes and no Jul 5, 2012

Claudia Cherici wrote:

Hi Massimo

You can keep both versions, but bear in mind that if you change computer (e.g. after a hard drive failure), you cannot have both 2009 and 2011 licensed and installed on your new computer.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Context and formatting Jul 5, 2012

Olly Pekelharing wrote:
Hi Massi,
context? In what way would you get more context out of a bilingual file than a TM?
formatting? Does Studio keep formatting in the TM? I thought a tmx kept only plain text (but I am by no means an expert).

Hi Olly,
formatting is implemented over tags. Many of them are retained in the TMX format, while others are not. So, although TMX is an exchange format, 100% compatibility is not always guaranteed.

The native bilingual Studio format (SDLXLIFF) keeps, among other things, information on preceeding segments or structural information where the segment occurs (paragraph, heading, table cell etc.). This is what's understood under context.

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
information on preceding segments Jul 5, 2012

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for the info. So some formatting that can be kept using the native format may be lost in the tmx. But, assuming all jobs for client x are sent to a freelancer to translate, accompanied by the TM in tmx format, then I don't see how the agency gains from this. The benefit of the native format is lost to the tmx somewhere along the way anyway. Right? Also curious as to how information on preceding segments is stored in a segment. Or do I need to get some training!

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Jul 5, 2012

Hi Olly,
some replies for you:

Olly Pekelharing wrote:
So some formatting that can be kept using the native format may be lost in the tmx. But, assuming all jobs for client x are sent to a freelancer to translate, accompanied by the TM in tmx format, then I don't see how the agency gains from this.

That would be a question for the project manager. If they use Studio too, I cannot see any benefits for them from TMX.

Also curious as to how information on preceding segments is stored in a segment.

It's not stored in the segment; it's stored in the SDLXLIFF file, outside of the segments themselves. A sort of metainformation.

Netherlands
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
tmx wrong format Jul 5, 2012

So, if a client wants to send me a TM, then they shouldn't actually export to tmx at all, but send me the native TM?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes Jul 5, 2012

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

So, if a client wants to send me a TM, then they shouldn't actually export to tmx at all, but send me the native TM?

If they use Studio, yes.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I upgrade from Studio 2009 to 2011?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search