Moving a project to another computer
Thread poster: robroy

robroy
Local time: 19:06
German to English
Jul 8, 2012

Hello,
With my Freelance licence I have installed Studio 2009 on my desktop and on my notebook. Lately the situation has arisen whereby I have to move an existing project from my desktop to my notebook. Unfortunately, the Freelance version does not seem to be able to create packages (which, considering the option of installing on 2 computers, I find extremely odd, to put it mildly). If I wish to migrate an existing project to another computer, can anyone tell me which files I have to copy? Of course the source and target texts, the xliff, presumably the project files, but what about the memories and TBs?

Please excuse me if this topic has already been dealt with, but I have been unable to find it.

Thank you for your tips.

Rob Roy

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
--- Jul 8, 2012

You need to copy the whole project folder with all subfolders, as well as TM(s) and TB(s) used for this project, in case you keep them in another folder (otherwise you will be clearly unable to use them).

At opening the project in the new computer for the first time go to the project settings to check (and change) the locations of the TM and TB.

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Natalie ... Jul 8, 2012

... I'll give it a try and let you know!

Rob Roy

Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 20:06
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
synchronization Jul 12, 2012

Hi,

I use Trados in two different PCs.

I do synchronize both folders with an application (SynkronPortable from Portablapps.com) via USB. ViceVersa is best. But, I did not spare budget for that.

I keep the drive letter and location same (D:\trados\). Projects, TMs and TBs are all under this folder. I synchronize my USB with the office pc and synchronize at home before I start working. Because the root drive letter and folder have the same structure in the other PC, I don't need to relocate TMS and TBs.

Only two complications:
- If I start using Trados before synchronizing my USB, sync software gets confused and keeps asking me which version to keep for each and everyfile.
- Once a new project file is created, it needs to be clicked open from the menu in the other PC. Otherwise, new project does not appear in the project list of other computer.

Hope it contributes,

Regards

Hakan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving a project to another computer

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search