Thread poster: Stefan Blommaert

Stefan Blommaert  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:45
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 9, 2012

I am using the starter edition of 2011. I have received a bilingual .txt file (I suppose that it was some kind of export) that I want to import in my (now still) empty TM. Can anyone explain me how that should be done? Creating a new TM with the relevant languages and trying to import the file doesn't give me an error message, but nothing has been imported (Read 0; Imported 0: Error 0).

I am puzzled and help would be more than welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

EGolubtsova
Local time: 06:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Ona way that looks harder than it is Jul 11, 2012

If the TXT sent to you is tab-delimited file, you could download free TM management tool Olifant (http://okapi.sourceforge.net/), create new TM in it and import your TXT. Then you could export TMX from Olifant and import it in Trados TM.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Ekaterina

ZeoBIT
Another way Jul 11, 2012

I just realized, that if you need to import just one file, you can do it in Trados Studio itself. Just create a new project, select Project Setings - > File Types -> Tab Delimited Text, click Format and check the corresponding delimiter and select the columns for Source and Target. After that you can add the TXT file to the project and populate the TM with translations from it.

Best regards,
Ekaterina

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
.txt = Tm exported from Trados Workbench Jul 11, 2012

Stefan Blommaert wrote:
I have received a bilingual .txt file (I suppose that it was some kind of export) that I want to import in my (now still) empty TM. Can anyone explain me how that should be done?

You should first convert that TM into the TMX format. You can do it with ApSIC Xbench, as explained here.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:45
English
Or just upgrade it directly in Studio... Jul 11, 2012

... no conversion required.

Regards

paul

Stefan Blommaert  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:45
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Way to do that? Jul 11, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Regards

paul

And how can I do that? I have played around with the program but didn't find what I was looking for...I probably am not experienced enough. Help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Didn't know that! Jul 11, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

I didn't know Studio could convert .txt TM's on-the-fly. Was it a new feature in 2011, or could 2009 do it as well?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:45
English
2009 could do it as well... Jul 11, 2012

So you have two ways to go.

1. When you open your file for translation, or create a Project, just select the legacy filetype when you add your filebased TM:

It says winalign but the format is the same... try it and see.

2. Upgrade the TXT first. So go Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories... and then select the legacy as the image above.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import bilingual file in Studio 2011

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search