Nested tags in Trados Studio 2011
Thread poster: bungholio

bungholio
German to English
Jul 10, 2012

Hi!

Translating XML can be a nightmare, and right now we are having problems with footnote (and other) tags that are embedded in the middle of sentences, e.g.:

The xxxx standard XXXX defines the blah blah blah. has been in use for 15 years.

The above is what it looks like in Trados after we have defined the footnote tag as inline, etc. Honestly, this sentence is pretty harmless.

Unfortunately, not all are. We have one unit that starts on Line 7 in Trados, resumes on lines 8, 9, 46, 47, 107, 108, 743 and 744 before finally ending on line 929. Everything in between is information referenced by the links on the aforementioned lines. Instead of them being placed somewhere else in the file, they are right in the middle of a 900-line sentence.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed in Studio?

P.S. Opened this particular file in OmegaT and it worked fine: Footnote on a separate line, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:53
English
I don't follow this... Jul 10, 2012

Hi,

If the same reference applies throughout the file then why do you need to see it so often? Surely it's enough to tranlsate it the first time?

If you have an example file we can take a look at it?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
What I meant was... Jul 11, 2012

The forum swallowing my Tag didn't make it any clearer, I'm afraid. This is what I see in Trados Studio 2009/2011:

The YIPPEE standard OPENFOOTNOTETAG YIPPEE defines the blah blah blah. It has been blah blah blah.CLOSEFOOTNOTETAG has been in use for 15 years.

Was the original sentence(s). So basically what I would like is to have three complete units. This would make sense, especially if this footnote were to come up in a different document in a different context (i.e. different TU).

Desired result:

The YIPPEE standard has been in use for 15 years.
YIPPEE defines the blah blah blah.
It has been blah blah blah.

Because of how Trados parses the XML file in question, I am unable to get the desired result. Basically, I want to *extract* the footnote tag and text and put them in separate units.

OmegaT allows for the definition of "OutOfTurn" tags that seem to handle this situation.

As I stated, this example isn't *that* bad (although it would still be better to separate the footnote sentences into completely separate units in case they crop up elsewhere where "has been in use for 15 years" etc. doesn't).

The real kicker involves the unit described in the first post (starts on Line 7, etc.). Here, there are SO MANY tags embedded/nested that even if we *were* able to figure out all the parser rules settings, we would wind up having a unit that would normally comprise nearly 900 Lines in Trados.

I don't know if I can send you the file, will have to check with my boss (NDA and all that).

Note: This XML is from a block-based CMS that relies on XML to generate all sorts of different output documents like PDF, HTML, INDD, DOC, etc. The 900-line "unit" in Trados is so because there are three hyperlinks to different blocks that also need to be translated. When someone exports this particular page to translate, all of the references included (the other 899 lines, for example) also get exported.

The original sentence:

...It comprises compact drives, single-axis systems and drive components with IP65 protection for especially harsh environmental conditions.

("compact drives", "single-axis systems" and "IP65 protection" are all hyperlinked to other pages -> this is what is causing the problem.)

Here's how it looks in OmegaT:

...It comprises TAG, TAG and drive components with TAG for especially harsh environmental conditions.

(the tags themselves *apparently* don't have to be translated as this will be handled by the CMS once the referenced documents are translated and given titles. The blocks/pages/lines in those referenced documents are handled elsewhere in the translation document.)

In Trados:

It comprises (Line 7)
compact drives (Line 8)
, (Line 46)
single-axis systems (Line 47)
, (Line 107)
multi-axis systems (Line 108)
and drive components with (Line 743)
IP65 protection (Line 744)
for especially harsh environmental conditions (Line 929)

Hopefully that's a bit clearer...

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:53
English
Clearer.... Jul 11, 2012

... but this is exactly how Studio should handle this too. Can you send me the xml file in question and I'll take a look? Or a mock up of this bit mirroring the exact tags in use in the xml:

The YIPPEE standard OPENFOOTNOTETAG YIPPEE defines the blah blah blah. It has been blah blah blah.CLOSEFOOTNOTETAG has been in use for 15 years.

Thanks

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

bungholio
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for looking! Jul 12, 2012

Hi Paul,

I passed on the XML with the 900-line "unit" to your email address. I can also send you the one with the footnote in question, but it's pretty straightforward as shown above:

MainSentence :FOOTNOTETAGOPEN: FootnoteText :FOOTNOTETAGCLOSED: RemainderOfMainSentence

We can at least get everything on one line, which is sufficient, though perhaps not ideal.

Thanks again for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nested tags in Trados Studio 2011

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search