Trados Studio 2009 + Trados 2007 TM - Help needed!
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:56
English to German
Jul 10, 2012

Dear all,

I have just received a new translation job consisting of several files which have already been partially translated. I received .xml-files for translation as well as a .tmw (TM).

I have created a new project in Studio 2009 and imported the files for translation without problems. But Studio 2009 does not recognize the TM (I suppose).

Is there any way to "convert" this Trados 2007 TM or is there a special way to import it into that project?

As this is an urgent job, I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you very much in advance.

Annett

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:56
French to English
+ ...
Upgrade translation memories (under Tools) Jul 10, 2012

Hi Annett,

I have a client who regularly sends me 2007 memories. You should be able to upgrade the memory, under Tools (I think). I usually save the TM in my usual folder, then click on Add file-based TMs under Upgrade translation memories. It should then guide you through the process - quite straightforward!

Good luck,

Claire

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Upgrade it or just look it up Jul 10, 2012

Hi Annett,

You can use the Upgrade TM wizard to upgrade the TMW before you start, or upgrade this when you create the Project on the fly just by selecting the legacy type:

Or you can download and try a new app on the open exchange that lets you look up these older TMs directly without upgrading:

You can get the app here:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=261

Regards

Paul

pjg111  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to French
Have you been able to open tmw TM using Translator's Workbench? Jul 10, 2012

Annett Hieber wrote:

Dear all,

I have just received a new translation job consisting of several files which have already been partially translated. I received .xml-files for translation as well as a .tmw (TM).

I have created a new project in Studio 2009 and imported the files for translation without problems. But Studio 2009 does not recognize the TM (I suppose).

Is there any way to "convert" this Trados 2007 TM or is there a special way to import it into that project?

As this is an urgent job, I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you very much in advance.

Annett

Hi Annett,

First of all, make sure you have the complete TM. The main file is the one with tmw extension but it must come with its satellites that are *.mwf, *.mtf, *.mdf, and *.iix.
Did you try to open your tmw file using Translator's Workbench? If you can open the file, then the TM is complete. From Translator's Workbench, you can export the tmw TM to a tmx file which you will be able to import into Trados Studio 2009.

Feel free to let us know the outcome.

Actually this method is the longer method which basically gives the same results as the upgrade method suggested by my fellow translators. But it explains what you need to know about the components of tmw TMs. Hope that helps!

Cheers.

[Edited at 2012-07-10 15:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-10 15:01 GMT]

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it worked! Jul 10, 2012

Hello Claire,

Thank you for your post - it did work, but took very long (due to the volume of the TM).

Again, I've learned something about Trados!

Have a nice evening,

Annett

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:56
French to English
+ ...
Teatime! Jul 10, 2012

Good; I should perhaps have said that one of my clients had said, the first time she explained how to do this, "Go and put the kettle on whilst it upgrades - it might take some time!"

Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2009 + Trados 2007 TM - Help needed!

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search