How to specify target files encoding for a batch of files in Trados Studio 2011?
Thread poster: ZeoBIT

ZeoBIT
Local time: 11:18
Jul 11, 2012

Dear All,

I need to specify UTF-8 encoding for a batch of target files for several target languages.

The only option I found as yet is to specify target encoding manually for each file separately in File -> Active Document Settings (or File -> Save Target As, which is all the same, as I can select encoding for active file only).

This is very frustrating and ineffective, as I have to save several target files for 16 languages in UTF-8, and have to do it manually for each file instead of using Finalize function for all the files. When I use Finalize, Trados selects encoding automatically and some symbols get corrupted for many target languages, so this is not an option.

In Trados help they say that "If your selected filter for the file specifies the type of encoding, it will be displayed in this box instead.", however in File Types I found no option to select encoding neither for HTML, nor for CSV, nor TXT, which are my working formats. Am I looking in the wrong place? What is meant by "If your selected filter for the file specifies the type of encoding" and what filter is meant? If I was right and File Types were meant, so there is no option to change encoding and Trados help is completely useless.

I would very appreciate any ideas how to make this cumbersome process of specifying target files encoding quicker and more effective!

Trados Support, help!

Best regards,
Kate

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to specify target files encoding for a batch of files in Trados Studio 2011?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search