Translating xml file using tag settings file that does not match?
Thread poster: Regi2006

Regi2006
Indonesia
Local time: 01:06
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jul 11, 2012

Hello all,

I received xml files from a client to translate. She specified that the files must be translated using Trados. The problem is, when I opened the files using Trados 2007, I was prompted by this message:

This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element "course". A tag settings file has not yet been defined for this document type. Would you like to specify the settings file now.

So, I contacted her to send me the required tag settings file, but she does not have it. Instead, she asked me to download Notepad++ and use it to open the xml file for translation.

My question, can I translate the xml files using a different tag settings file (which does not match)?

Many thanks.

Regi

Remy Blaettler
Local time: 20:06
German to English
+ ...
Upgrade? Jul 11, 2012

I assume an upgrade to 2011 is not an option?

Don't have much experience with 2007, but 2009 and 2011 work pretty well with XML.

David Terhart  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It depends Jul 12, 2012

Regi2006 wrote:
My question, can I translate the xml files using a different tag settings file (which does not match)?

Hi Regi,

That depends on how that XML file is structured. If it does not have too many elements and attributes, and you know which ones are to be translated or not (for example the attribute "scr" of the HTML element "img src=""" will not be translated, but "title" has to be translated). Then you could go ahead and try to make your own tag settings file using the tag settings wizard in the Workbench. Refer to the help file of the Workbench for details (the documentation is quite good in fact, in my eyes).

Using an existing settings file will most probably not work, I guess.

Good luck!
David

Regi2006
Indonesia
Local time: 01:06
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2009 would solve the problem? Jul 12, 2012

Remy Blaettler wrote:

I assume an upgrade to 2011 is not an option?

Don't have much experience with 2007, but 2009 and 2011 work pretty well with XML.

Hi Remy,

Thank you for your response. Yeah, I am thinking about upgrading my Trados.

So, Trados 2011 would allow me to translate the xml files even though I don't have the required tag settings file?

Many thanks.

Regi

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You may always need a "tag settings file" Jul 12, 2012

Regi2006 wrote:

So, Trados 2011 would allow me to translate the xml files even though I don't have the required tag settings file?

Hi,

The default xml filetypes are sometimes good enough, but more often than not you really need to create a custom filetype for Studio (Tag Settings file for 2007). It is very simple to do at it's basic level (you simply create new filetype and import the xml file you wish to translate so Studio creates rules based on what's in the xml) and then you can either use it as is or tweak it to improve the way the information is presented.

But certainly the xml filetype in Studio is easier and more flexible to use than in 2007.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating xml file using tag settings file that does not match?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search