Trados (Studio 2009) - Folder Structure
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:45
English to German
Jul 12, 2012

Dear All,

Over the last months I have been working more and more with Trados Studio 2009 - and it's mostly a pleasure and a help (I mostly translate technical texts for recurring projects/customers). I also have learned a lot about how to use Trados by "learning by doing" during this time as well as by the forum here whose support is vary valuable to me.

Lately, I'm facing increasingly the problem of the structure of my folders, i.e. the more projects I have for a customer, the longer the "chain" to my folders. Once, the file name even got too long for Trados, so I had to change the position of the folder.

Usually, I have the following structure:
Own files - divided into business files and private files. Business files - divided into the different customer files. Customer files divided into the different areas/projects and so on.

It's getting more and more chaotic now (also because Trados requests a separate folder for its project files) and I'm not sure how to organize that in a more regular way.

How do you manage your files and folders? What's your experience here? Do you delete whole folders containing projects that are completed (after a certain time)?

Thanks for sharing!

Annett

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Folders Jul 12, 2012

I have:

- Work
--- Client_X
--- Client_Y
----- date1_projectname
----- date2_projectname
------- admin
------- source_files
------- target_files
------- reference_material
------- trados_project
--- Client_Z

For some jobs, I don't make a separate trados project. Umbrella trados projects for those are in the client folder or the work folder.
I don't delete anything unless the file size is obscenely large and the file is useless to me. Generally, I just shove this stuff away into folders where it doesn't get in the way.

[Edited at 2012-07-12 08:33 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Long paths Jul 12, 2012

Hello Annett,
the file path length is actually not a limitation of Trados, but one of Windows: 64-bit systems can handle longer paths than 32-bit ones.

I use Projetex to organize my projects. Each time I create a new project, Projetex will create three folders automatically. The folder path is as follows:

- Drive name
--Business
---Project Name
----Incoming
----Work
----Outgoing

I save my Studio project files under the Work folder and this is fully enough.

Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
By date Jul 12, 2012

Hello Annett,

Unfortunately you might have quite a few problems if you rearrange your files and try to refer to them through Studio afterwards, just so you know.

Personally I have always organised by date, and I am a stickler for organisation. Here is how the structure breaks down for an order received in July:

Translations
Translations 2012
July 2012
Client name
Project X
This file contains: Project X (Trados files) / PO / invoice / informational documents, etc.

I store my TMs and termbases together in their respective folders at the same level as Translations, to be able to access them quickly and from year to year.

All the best!

Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
I just… Jul 12, 2012

keep the project folder of all current projects on the desktop, than move the completed files to the structured archives

[Módosítva: 2012-07-12 14:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados (Studio 2009) - Folder Structure

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search