Trados 2011: SDL XLIFF Converter is not loading project file
Thread poster: Anne Baardvik

Anne Baardvik
Local time: 19:00
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 12, 2012

Hi all,

I have edited a file, generated from SDL XLIFF Converter, in Word. I want to convert it back to Trados 2011 because I have to deliver an updated Trados TM. There is no Track changes in the updated file.
However, the SDL XLIFF Converter will not load the project file.

Any suggestions for this?

Best regards

Anne

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Did you load both files? Jul 12, 2012

In the converter, you need to load both the source SDLXLIFF file and the generated Word file, before you hit Convert, but I guess you already did this?

Did you change the file name for either the SDLXLIFF file or the Word file after converting SDLXLIFF to Word?

Just some suggestions off hand.

Anne Baardvik
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 12, 2012

Thanks a lot for your reply. No, I don't get to the convert stage (or the load microsoft-file stage), because the project file doesn't load.icon_frown.gif

Thanks again for answering.

Anne

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
What exactly happens? Jul 12, 2012

When I open the OpenExchange App 'SDLXLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office', I can go directly to the tab saying 'Import from MS Word', where I can load the source SDLXLIFF file and the generated Word file.

This of course only is true if you have already converted the original SDLXLIFF file to Word in the first place. Did you? Or is this the step that does not work?

Anne Baardvik
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have no idea Jul 12, 2012

The project file (.sdlproj) just doesn't load. I get the "rotating-I'm working"-arrow" for a bit, and then nothing happens.

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Try this Jul 12, 2012

Open the project in Studio, and save the target file in a folder you can easily find again (or skip this part if you know exactly where to find the translated SDLXLIFF file already).

Then open the converter and click 'Add...', browse to your SDLXLIFF file, and hopefully this will load, when the project didn'ticon_wink.gif

Best of luck.

Anne Baardvik
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Jul 12, 2012

Thanks. Will tryicon_smile.gif

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: ------

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just some clarification Jul 12, 2012

Hi,

You can add a Project file (*.sdlproj) to this application and it will cause all the sdlxliff files for every target language in your Project to be loaded automatically. Then the reverse is true... so you can import using the Project file as well.

So maybe just check you are using the correct version first. So Studio 2011 comes with a different build of this tool already installed. You will find it in the programmes folder for Studio 2011 under the start menu.

The older version for 2009 was downloadable from the OpenExchange website and this will not work with 2011.

Maybe this is the issue?

Regards

Paul

Anne Baardvik
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Jul 12, 2012

Thanks Natalie, but I know positively you can load projects. See also here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBG536whw7E

The folder I kept the generated docx's file in, contained TWO generated files, and the converter got somehow confused, i think. After removing one of the files, the project loaded.

Guess it's very important to leave the project folders in Trados alone.

Thanks for all your help!

Anne

Anne Baardvik
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still something wrong Jul 12, 2012

Thanks Paul.

I have know opened the file in Trados, and when I go through the file in Editing, I notice that some of the changes I made in Word have not changed in the file? What am I doing wrong?

Best

Anne

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 10:00
English to Chinese
Take a look at your settings in the Converter Jul 12, 2012

In Settings (the fourth tab)>Segment update>Update segment content, do you have "Update content of all segments" checked?

I had the same problem with my last project, where I made some edits myself on the bilingual file (converted from the Converter) before I sent it to the editor. Then I had my setting at "Update content of segments with tracked changes only" instead of Update contents of all segments, thus the changes I had made (which were not tracked) did not get updated.

Does this make sense? Maybe Paul can explain this better:)

Chun-yi

Anne Baardvik wrote:

Thanks Paul.

I have know opened the file in Trados, and when I go through the file in Editing, I notice that some of the changes I made in Word have not changed in the file? What am I doing wrong?

Best

Anne

Anne Baardvik
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have checked settings - negative result Jul 12, 2012

It made perfectly sense, I have set the preferences "Update of all segments", but it still doesn't work.
I have imported the project with the file within - no changes.
I've also imported just the converted file (and not the project) - no changes.
I've chekced when the file was saved, to see if it's the correct version, and it was saved just now, so it is the correct file.

Thanks Chun-yi!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011: SDL XLIFF Converter is not loading project file

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search