Java Update 7 U5, deinstall v6 U24: Issues with Studio 2011 SP1?
Thread poster: Claudia Dylakiewicz

Claudia Dylakiewicz  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:36
English to German
Jul 12, 2012

Dear all,

When I tried to update Java version 7 to U5 the update notification tool informed me that all older Java versions will be deinstalled by this update.

Is that really true? If yes, do Studio 2011 and MultiTerm run on the new version without problems, or do they still require the older version 6 U24? Since I am not sure if this update can produce any issues, I do not have the nerve to execute it. And, unfortunately, I could not find any information on the compatibility with the new Java version so far.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Claudia

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 11:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
use Jave v6 U24 Jul 21, 2012

hi Clauda, I encountered the same issue.
in fact, if you install Java 7, the older version is not uninstalled. but Studio will not acknowledge Java 7. the Java engine just doesn't start ehen you open Studio.
so there is no point to updating Java.
hope this resolves your query.
kind regards.

Lorenzo

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
Finnish to French
Uninstalled v 6 update 24, no adverse effects so far Jul 21, 2012

Before I installed SP2, I had Java 6 Update 31 and Java 7 Update 5. After SP2, I also had Java 6 Update 24, as shown here:

2012-07-21_0932.png

Here is what Oracle has to say about old versions of Java:

Should I unistall older versions of Java?
We highly recommend users uninstall all older versions of Java from your system.
Keeping old and unsupported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk.
Uninstalling older versions of Java from your system ensures that Java applications will run with the most up-to-date security and performance improvements on your system

Do I need older versions of Java?
The latest available version is compatible with the older versions. However, some Java applications (or applets) can indicate that they are dependent on a particular version, and may not run if you do not have that version installed. If an application or web page you access requires an older version of Java, you should report this to the provider/developer and request that they update the application to be compatible with all Java versions.

I uninstalled Update 24 and Studio 2011 SP2 hasn't complained so far. SP1 didn't complain either when I had Update 31.
IMO SDL should only check the installed version, and only install their required version if it's newer than the installed version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Java Update 7 U5, deinstall v6 U24: Issues with Studio 2011 SP1?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search