Using single language XLIF to update translation memory?
Thread poster: wo2001
Jul 13, 2012

Hi,

I'm working on a project for which Trados is only used for its translation memory function, the main work is done on another platform which now that the project is finalised contains the approved translations. I can export an XLIF file from this other platform, but the "source" tags are empty and only the "target" tags have contents. Now I'm wondering if there is any straight forward way to use this XLIF file to update the translation memory?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
English
Probably a silly question.... Jul 13, 2012

.... but is there a usecase for updating a TM without the source language segments?

Regards

Paul

wo2001
TOPIC STARTER
Yes unfortunately there is: Jul 13, 2012

We have to use Trados for the TM in there, but all the other work has to be done on another platform.
Therefore export XLIF files from Trados and export them into the other platform.
Simplified the tags inthe file look like this:
[group id="123" resname="Copy_1-FRA"][group id="1"][trans-unit id="1"][source]Original text[/source][target/][/trans-unit][/group][/group]

The file I can export from the other platform looks like this:

[group id="123" resname="Copy_1-FRA"][group id="1"][trans-unit id="1"][source]Translated text[/source][target/][/trans-unit][/group][/group]

(Which is incorrect, it's not the source) or hopefully we'll be able to export something that looks like this:

[group id="123" resname="Copy_1-FRA"][group id="1"][trans-unit id="1"][source/][target]Translated text[/target]/][/trans-unit][/group][/group]

So I hope to find a way to merge these, it should possible to identify the texts as the group ids for the source and the target tags are the same right? We're just not able to generate a document containing both.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-07-13 09:12 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2012-07-13 09:13 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2012-07-13 09:17 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
English
I see... perhaps a simple idea... Jul 13, 2012

... would be this, assuming you are using Studio?

Step 1
Open the first xliff with the source in Studio.
Copy source to target.
Use the SDLXLIFF Converter to export to Excel

Step 2
Open the second xliff with the target in Studio
Copy source to target.
Use the SDLXLIFF Converter to export to Excel

Step 3
Open the Excel containing the source text, this will be in two identical columns
Copy the target column from the other Excel file to the second column of the Excel file containing the source
Save it as a csv
Open the CSV in Studio with the filetype options set to put coumn one as source, column two as target
Attach and update your Studio TM with a batch task

It sounds a little long winded but this would work... in the absence of a better idea? If you want more details on how to use this filetype there is a blog article here:

http://goo.gl/JT8n9

Regards

Paul

wo2001
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 13, 2012

That should at least make it possible to fill he translation memory - if there is no possible way to use the xlif files we'll have to do thaticon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using single language XLIF to update translation memory?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search