Urgent, Studio 2009: cannot write the target file!
Thread poster: Madeleine Chevassus

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:04
Member (2010)
English to French
Jul 15, 2012

hello

I just started a translation for tomorrow.

I use Studio 2009 SP3 freelance and Office 2010. My input Word file was probably translated by Word from a previous version, there was a warning. Windows7.

I started using Studio 2009 as usual and when trying to save, no problem for the SDLXLIFF, but it is impossible to save the target file. I get a blocking error message:

'Echec de l'enregistrement du contenu cible. Le prefixe 'mc' is not defined', which means:

"Failure while writing target file content. The 'mc' prefix is not defined" !

Idem when I try to generate the preview.

I don't understand what this mc prefix is about, there is no 'mc' string in the file name;

I tried to save the output file again with a shorter file name, it doesn't make any difference..

Do you have an idea about how to extract my output file?

Thanks a lot, have a good day

Marie

Ali M. Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:04
English to Arabic
Not exactly sure but... Jul 15, 2012

if you want, send me the file via email and I will try.

France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but I can't send it to you Jul 15, 2012

Ali, thanks for this proposal, but I can't send the file for confidentiality reasons.

May be I should restart from the beginning that is to say with the Office 2007 file and choose other options at conversion time..

Marie

Hector Aires
Local time: 08:04
English to Spanish
Try deleting new tags Jul 15, 2012

Marie Chevassus wrote:

Ali, thanks for this proposal, but I can't send the file for confidentiality reasons.

May be I should restart from the beginning that is to say with the Office 2007 file and choose other options at conversion time..

Marie

If you have added new tags, for instance, superscripts or subscripts, the reason may be there and you cannot get a clean file. Delete them on Trados and add them on the target file.
In closing, DO NOT add any tag in Trados Studio and see what happens.

All the best
El Étor

France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I probably solved the problem Jul 15, 2012

Thanks, Hector, I'll be careful with the tags;

how I solved the pb:

On my old PC XP, I restarted from scratch importing the english file again from yahoo, then I red it with Office 2002 and wrote it on my USB key. The file was initially probably an Office 2007.

Then, back to my laptop/Windows7, I moved the input file from my USB key into a directory without using Office 2010.

I started again Studio 2009 with this input file.

I traslated a few lines and could write the output in French in a .docx file (via Studio 2009)

I could then open this output file normally with Word 2010.

I didn't need to remove tags.

Strange, isn't it?

I am glad I kept the old PC!

Thanks for your help and have a good day

Marie

Yael Ramon  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:04
German to Hebrew
+ ...
File Types in "project settings" Jul 15, 2012

it is very probable that the file type for microsoft was absent so it did not recognize it for creating the final file. next time - before you do the long way try going to "Project" > "project settings" > "file types", check if the microsoft version of the original files is in the list - if it is, there might be something wrong elsewhere, but if it doesn't - all you need to do is click on "new" and import it to the project from the dropdown list that opens...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent, Studio 2009: cannot write the target file!

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search