Thread poster: carrick16

carrick16  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 16, 2012

Hi all,

I'm getting this error when trying to save the target of a translated Word file: Failed to save target content: Il tag di inizio "cf" sulla riga 14 non corrisponde al tag di fine "P". Riga 18, posizione 134.

George Cook
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:07
French to English
+ ...
Run verification Jul 16, 2012

Looks like a tag issue (start tag doesn't match the end tag). Run the tag verification (F8), and fix the relevant tag(s), then try again.

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
incomplete post Jul 16, 2012

Hi George,
Thank you so much for your reply.
My post got broken somehow and only the first part got published here, so I'll try again as it's more complicated than that:

The error reads: "Failed to save target content: Start "cf" tag on string 14 does not match end "P" tag. String 18, position 134." Thing is, when I double-click on the error message to go to the supposedly wrong segment, this segment shows no visible or hidden tags, so I can't fix it. I tried to run the tag verification but it seems fine until I try to save the target file (it's only then that the error appears).
I processed a Word2007 file with Studio 2009.

Hope you have all the info now and thanks for any help or thoughts you can give!

George Cook
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Possibly a docx issue Jul 17, 2012

I've encountered this myself with Word 2007 documents; their file structure occasionally upsets Trados Studio.

What I would suggest is to update the TM you are using from the translated file, then re-save the source document as *.doc (Word 97-2003), and run a pretranslation batch task on it using the updated TM. You may then find that the problem miraculously disappears...

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:07
Member (2008)
French to English
Same problem Jul 18, 2012

I am having the same problem. I don't understand why Studio gives such irrelevant and incomprehensible error messages. When trying to create the target file, I get:

"The 'P' start tag on line 1 does not match the end tag of 'cf'. Line 33, position 77"

Natuarlly, there are no tags visible at all on lines 1 or 33. Even when I copied the source to target on those lines, just to make sure nothing extraneous was being introduced, it doesn't help. Double clicking on the error messages causes line 51 to be highlighted, which has no evident relevance to the problem.

If there's a tag error, why can't Studio explain what and where the tag error is - even a free tool such as OmegaT has a better tag check than this.

If anyone has a solution to this problem it would be much appreciated.

[Edited at 2012-07-18 11:08 GMT]

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem unsolved Jul 24, 2012

Hello,

Just to let you know, I couldn't find a solution to that problem. It might have been a Word 2007 issue, but neither the client nor I could fix the file structure. I tried to update the TM and pretranslate a converted file, as you suggested George, but it didn't work.
I tried everything I could think of, even changing the text layout and format. Nothing helped, couldn't fix that error coming up just before saving the target content.

I finally gave up and settled for a more time consuming solution: export the TM and use another CAT. Thankfully WordFast didn't complain, everything went smoothly, even though the tags were all out of place, obviously. Once sorted them out, I was able to clean the file no problem and deliver my translation.

Luckily, my client could wait a couple of days for final delivery, but my patience was out the window!!!
Oh yes, some free tools, considering they're free, deal much better with tags. I wonder why...

Michael Watson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Problem solved/resolved in studio 2011 SP2 Jul 29, 2012

I had a similar problem (and have had similar problems before). I have found the problem can be resloved by creating a new copy of the source file with a new name and reprocessing it ready for translation in Studio. (Obviously most of the file will be pre-translated as the translation is already in the TM.)

Then clean the file/generate target translation immediately. At least then if subsequent changes cause the same error there is a working copy that with a little extra work is ready for the customer.

I also find that sometimes it is best to force updating of the TM in case this has not occurred during translation using the update main/project tm command, whichever is relevant.

Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
My own invention Feb 7, 2014

I have just had the same nasty surprise.
Nothing worked, even when I did a new project I got the same error message.
I could leave the segment empty, copy source, whatever, still the same error.

So I suppose that means the tag was corrupted in the source file...?

But in the end what I did - I removed the text from the source file.... and it worked!
I thought I would then just write the translation manually to the exported Word file but the text was apparently some fancy I-don't-know-what... It wasn't just a visible text but by a normal view it was somewhere hidden... I found it with with "find" option and it opened in a separate window down the screen... a bit like footnotes do, except it wasn't a footnote... some secret Word option apparently (I guess it said something about "header" but there was no header text in the document whatsoever).
Anyway, I sent it as it was to the client - an agency, with the missing text in the email, so that they can insert it if they can... not very elegant but I doubt a normal person (meaning non-magician) could do anything more about it :///

So that's my advice: don't loose time with creating new projects, changing the segment status or what else comes to your mind - just cut this **** away!icon_biggrin.gif

Though if someone could explain why it occurred and how it can be prevented, I'd appreciate.

Phu Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 05:07
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
It works indeed! May 9, 2014

Katarzyna Slowikova wrote:

I have just had the same nasty surprise.
Nothing worked, even when I did a new project I got the same error message.
I could leave the segment empty, copy source, whatever, still the same error.

So I suppose that means the tag was corrupted in the source file...?

But in the end what I did - I removed the text from the source file.... and it worked!
I thought I would then just write the translation manually to the exported Word file but the text was apparently some fancy I-don't-know-what... It wasn't just a visible text but by a normal view it was somewhere hidden... I found it with with "find" option and it opened in a separate window down the screen... a bit like footnotes do, except it wasn't a footnote... some secret Word option apparently (I guess it said something about "header" but there was no header text in the document whatsoever).
Anyway, I sent it as it was to the client - an agency, with the missing text in the email, so that they can insert it if they can... not very elegant but I doubt a normal person (meaning non-magician) could do anything more about it :///

So that's my advice: don't loose time with creating new projects, changing the segment status or what else comes to your mind - just cut this **** away!icon_biggrin.gif

Though if someone could explain why it occurred and how it can be prevented, I'd appreciate.

Hi Katarzyna Slowikova,
Confirmed! It worked after I deleted the first line in source text. Thank you so much for your advice!
Richard

Simone Giovannini  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
With a pdf May 21, 2014

Hi,
I have the same problem but...with a pdf.
I cannot delete the text in a pdf file...
Has someone a solution for this kind of problem?

S.

Jean NICOLET  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Automatic table of contents? May 25, 2014

I had the same problem yesterday.
In my case, my source file was an automatically-generated .docx and the aumotatic table of contents was causing the issue. Simply deleting it did the job!

All I had to do then is re-populate the new bilingual file (like other translators), generate the target file and recreate the table of contents.

Good luck to everybody facing these Trados' caprices!

Ian Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 07:07
Japanese to English
+ ...
Track changes May 28, 2014

I had the same problem (cf and P tag error) today when I was tracking changes. I was able to create the target file by accepting all changes.

Incidentally, I also made another file rejecting all changes and then used the compare feature of Word to indicate the changes I made.

An Ismanto  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 05:07
English to Indonesian
Save target as unable in SDL Trados Studio 2014 Starter Edition Jun 2, 2014

George Cook wrote:

I've encountered this myself with Word 2007 documents; their file structure occasionally upsets Trados Studio.

What I would suggest is to update the TM you are using from the translated file, then re-save the source document as *.doc (Word 97-2003), and run a pretranslation batch task on it using the updated TM. You may then find that the problem miraculously disappears...

Almost similar to mine. I recently installed the SDL Trados Studio 2014 Starter Edition and this is my first experience. I installed it on a Windows 8.1-based computer running Office 2013. When I tried to save the target, the SDL refused.

The message: "Failed to save target content: The context list is null. Could not get the last child."

Help me, please.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Did you attempt... Jun 2, 2014

... the advice already given? Always good to be a little more explanatory, especially if you quote a resolution at the same time.

To troubleshoot files try these articles:

How to troubleshoot issues with generating your target file in SDL Trados Studio : http://goo.gl/gW6X6

How to troubleshoot problematic files : http://goo.gl/Mlodc

More often, the solution to these problems is resolved like this:

1. Open the source file again using the "Translate Single Document" process
  2. Save it to create a single file project
  3. Try to save target now before you do anything. If it works go onto the next step, but if it doesn't then you need to consider the more advanced trouble shooting steps in the KB article as it may be a problem with the source file
  4. Pretranslate the file using your Translation Memory
  5. Save the target file

If none of that helps, and if you are allowed to share the file you can send me the fully translated sdlxliff and the original source file and I'll happily take a look.

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Mariana Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2012)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
To Paul Jun 13, 2014

Hi Paul,

I'm getting the same error and none of the solutions above worked.

How can I contact you? I can't reach you via the e-mail you provided.

Thank you,

Mariana Carmo

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio failed to save target content

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search