Thread poster: Mariebzh

Mariebzh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:32
English to French
+ ...
Jul 16, 2012

Hello,

This is only the 2nd time I use Trados, I usually work with Wordfast Pro, so my client sent me a Word bilingual file, actually I'm not even sure if this is how it's called, well this is a Word file with two columns, the left with the source text in English and the right column where I guess the target text, my translation in French, should appear.
So I open Workbench, create my project and I open my client's TM (TM was actually in TMX format and not TMW So what I've done is create a new TM and import the client's TM as I found in this forum), the TM opens up, so far so good, but when I open my Word file to be translated and I began to translate, the target text is found below the source text in the left column and not in the right one as I thought.
Is this normal?
What will happen when I finish to translate my document?
Will the translation be found automatically in the right column or do I have to make some adjustments ?
thank you in advance because I don't want to start working on a translation of more than 9000 words and have to start all over again ...

Otherwise can I translate with Wordfast Pro? (since the TM is TMX, the Wordfast Pro format) but would my client be able to open it with Trados?
Sorry to bother you with my beginner questions, but I'm already getting stressed about this and I haven't even started yet,
thank you for your help,

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My suggestion Jul 17, 2012

It seems that you are translating from scratch. It seems that the easiest way to do it is:

Name two source files as A and B. Translate the text in the left column of file A until you finish, and then copy and paste the whole translation in the right column of file B.

It is normal that the text appear below each translated segment as you say.

HTH

Elías

Mariebzh  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:32
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jul 17, 2012

Thanks a lot Elias !

I'm going to try that.

Marie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007/Word 2007 and bilingual word file

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search