How to define QuickInsert in Trados 2011
Thread poster: Peter Mueller

Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:51
Member (2008)
English to German
Jul 17, 2012

A not urgend, but very pesky problem in Trados 2011: There is a - in theory - nifty feature called "QuickInsert" which would allow me to insert frequently used things like typographic quotation marks etc. in my translations.

Now, sometimes this is actually activated, sometimes not. Why this is so, I have not the faintest idea. But who cares, if only I could define my own QuickInserts. Shouldn't be too hard with a 500 Euro software, right? Well, read on ...

The obvious thing is to try and right-click on the QuickInsert symbols. Does not work. I found something in the menu bar: Format --> QuickInsert Settings. Yet, when I click that, I get a Window with my Project Settings, not with QuickInsert Settings (would have been too easy otherwise, I guess).

I don't know. Do the guys at Trados ever test their software before they ship it? Usability? Intuitiveness? Hello?

Anyhow, if anyone knows the trick, I would be very thankful for any hints!

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Quickinsert Jul 17, 2012

Tools > Options > File Types > select the respective file type and open it in the tree structure > QuickInsert > click the Add button in the bottom part of the dialog box.

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not working so far Jul 17, 2012

Thank you Stanislav for your help.

I tried to do it, but it does not seem to work.

I have a project with Word files (docx, i. e. 2007-2010), which I received as ttx files from my customer. Now, both in project settings and in Tools --> Options I created a QuickInsert item with typographic quotation marks and checked the "Show on Symbol bar" checkbox.

Yet, when I go back to the editor, I see nothing in the symbol bar. I also tried opening the "Choose a QuickInsert item from the list" button, but I do not see my item there, either.

Any ideas?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Not working Jul 17, 2012

Hi Peter,
if you have a TTX, you need to define the QuickInsert entry for the TTX filetype. However, in my case (new laptop machine, clean installation) no QuickInsert entries can be defined for TTX files: the QuickInsert item is missing under the TTX filetype.

So if I receive a TTX, which is not that often, I type the necessary characters (such as quotation marks) in MS Word and copy-paste them from there. Not very elegant, I admit, but it's working.

Another possibility is, of course, typing the ALT+number shortcuts, but who remembers them all anyway?

pjg111  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to French
Using a 3rd party utility software for QuickInserts Jul 17, 2012

Hi Peter, hi Stanislav, hi everybody.

Personally I use PhraseExpress which is a utility to define sorts of system-wide or application-wide QuickInserts. PhraseExpress comes as a freeware even though you are prompted to purchase a commercial version.

http://www.phraseexpress.com/

I have no interest whatsover in this utility.

I hope that helps and does not infringe this forum's policy and rules.

Cheers.

PG

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Looks promising Jul 17, 2012

This looks very promising; will test it as soon as I have a little more time.

Ah, yes, because there's a freeware version, I am almost sure there's no conflict with the Forum rules.

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Trados, if you ever read this ... Jul 17, 2012

Thank you, PG and Stanislav! I'll test the utility. The "past from another document" solution is actually what I am using now and what I try to get rid of.

Seriously, SDL Trados, if you ever read this thread: Shouldn't the leading translation suite on the market allow their users to achieve a core task, i. e. delivering correct language output, without jumping through hoops and struggling with severe headaches? This is terrible.

Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 04:51
English to Chinese
I gave up on Quickinserts long time ago Jul 17, 2012

As awkward as it might be, I am also using the Word file approach where I saved some special characters/punctuation symbols that are not readily available on my keyboard. After all, with Quickinserts you would need to define them in each file type, and if I remember it correctly, most of the quickinserts buttons in the toolbar are pre-defined and you are only left with F9 (or something similar) for one quickinsert. With the rest of the quickinserts, you would need to find the one you want in the list of available symbols you defined. To me, this is more awkward than the copy-and-paste-from the-Word-file workaround.

Chun-yi

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Tools > Options > File Types > select the respective file type and open it in the tree structure > QuickInsert > click the Add button in the bottom part of the dialog box.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to define QuickInsert in Trados 2011

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search