Translating XML documents with HTML codes in Trados Studio
Thread poster: Tatj
Jul 17, 2012

We have several 1000 XML documents to translate. They contain plaintext as wells as HTML codes.

In XML the codes for ä, ö, ü etc. are ä, ö and ü, i.e. “zählt” = zählt
But with the HTML codes this becomes zählt since the code for “&” ist &.

Trados Studio can read the XML codes correctly but not the HTML codes.
We do not want to enter all these segments in our TM, since when searching for “zählt” with F3 the segment will not be found (in the segment: zählt or z&hlt).

We were in contact with the SDL support team in Germany during weeks but they seemed not really interested in finding a solution.

They only told us that our customer has to delete all & in the source documents. But this is not a solution because when uploading our translated files on their system the HTML text is not shown correctly since the HTML code for the “&” is missing.

Does anyone know this problem and might have a solution for us?

Since we will get some 1000 of these documents with repetitions it is important for us to do the translation in Trados Studio.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Tatjana

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 07:37
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Use a tool with nested filter Jul 17, 2012

Hi Tatjana,

You can use Déjà Vu X2 for such files. Even the Professional version can do it though Workgroup version is better for agencies. http://www.atril.com/

1. Automatically process embedded HTML markup in your XML, Office 2007 and 2010 documents.

To do so, simply check the option “Process Embedded HTML” in the File Properties window before importing your file.

After preparing a project with Déjà Vu X2, you can use Studio or Trados 2007 to translate your project. Déjà Vu X2 can export External View files in Trados 2007 Bilingual RTF or Xliff formats.

Selcuk

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Declare right language code Jul 17, 2012

When I was doing html-coding ten years ago I always wrote "zählen" etc., not zählen. The browser will display these right if the language code of the page is set right, e.g. German:
META NAME="LANGUAGE" CONTENT="deutsch, de"

See here an example with ä and ö and Ü etc.:
http://schneeland.com/demokratie.html

[Bearbeitet am 2012-07-17 18:36 GMT]

Tatj
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 19, 2012

@ Selcuk:
Thank you for your comment. I do not know Déjà Vu X2 yet. So I will look for more information and test this.
But what is very important: after all these processes when I save the target files, will they still have all the codes the source xlm files initially had?

@ Heinrich Pesch:
Since the xml files are note for a simple website but for a web based software tool it is not possible to ask the customer to change their files, scripts etc.

Well I will try Déjà Vu and come back to you if it does'n't workicon_wink.gif

Kind regards,
Tatjana

Tatj
TOPIC STARTER
Could not import XML in Déjà Vu Jul 19, 2012

Dear Selcuk,

I downloaded a test version of Déjà Vu X2.
I could choose the option “Process Embedded HTML” when I added the xml file. But then I cannot "Import".

When I convert it to HTM I can import, but then the words with codes are shown like this: "Möglichkeit", in the XML the code is: "Möglichkeit"

Do you know what is wrong?

And can you explain how I can convert the file in XLIFF for Trados Studio 2011?
And how can we import the translated XLIFF in Déjà Vu?

Would that mean that we have to prepare each file in Déjà Vu, then translate with Trados Studio 2011 and then import them in Déjà Vu to get the target files in XML?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!icon_smile.gif

Kind regards,
Tatjana

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Filter definition file Jul 19, 2012

Tatj wrote:

I could choose the option “Process Embedded HTML” when I added the xml file. But then I cannot "Import".

Hi Tatjana,

You need to select a Filter Definition File. For most xml files the OpenOffice filter located in Filters folder works, but you can create your own filter as well. In DVX2 open File>New>SGML/XML Filter...

And can you explain how I can convert the file in XLIFF for Trados Studio 2011?
And how can we import the translated XLIFF in Déjà Vu?

Would that mean that we have to prepare each file in Déjà Vu, then translate with Trados Studio 2011 and then import them in Déjà Vu to get the target files in XML?

Possibly you are testing the Professional version but Xliff files are created by the WorkGroup version only. Just ask Atril for a trial version of the WorkGroup version.

After you create a SGML/XML filter and used it to import your files you can create an Xliff External View file for translation with external tools (e.g. Studio). I don't use Studio but Studio (your tool) should be able to translate xliff files. After translation in Studio just reimport those Xliff External View files into DVX2 and create your final translated files. But in a project with thousands of files I would prefer to work directly in DVX2.

Selcuk

Tatj
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 20, 2012

Thank you Selcuk !

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
English
If you do want to use Studio... Jul 21, 2012

Tatj wrote:

Trados Studio can read the XML codes correctly but not the HTML codes.
We do not want to enter all these segments in our TM, since when searching for “zählt” with F3 the segment will not be found (in the segment: zählt or z&hlt).

Hi Tatjana,

If you haven't given up on Studio already in favour of DVX then perhaps you can try enabling the entity conversion for your xml filetype? If you can share one of your xml files I'll happily show you how to do this... I hopeicon_smile.gif

Regards

Paul

Tatj
TOPIC STARTER
Working with Trados Studio would be great Jul 23, 2012

Dear Paul

I have not given up Studio already...icon_wink.gif

I tried already in several support sessions with SDL Germany to set the entity converisions in order to have a correct conversion in Studio. But unfortunately they could not help us.

How can I send you a test file? Do you have an e-mail address?
Or can you test it when I put the text in here?

Kind regards,
Tatjana

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
English
Just send... Jul 23, 2012

... the file to me at pfilkin@sdl.com

Regards

Paul

Tatj
TOPIC STARTER
Could you find out something Aug 13, 2012

Dear Paul,

Did you get my e-mail and could you find out something?
Thanks for your update.

Regards,
Tatjana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating XML documents with HTML codes in Trados Studio

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search