Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 18, 2012

I'd like to work with STudio 2009 because the editor is better than in WFP, but the system seems too difficult for me.
Yesterday I had created a project US-EN to DE and opened a file successfully in it. TM and MT working great. But now I noticed I have to make changes to the source doc (it is a scanned text from a book). So I closed all and tried to open the edited doc in my project, but cannot do it. If I open the doc also a new project is open and has not TM and the language combination
... See more
I'd like to work with STudio 2009 because the editor is better than in WFP, but the system seems too difficult for me.
Yesterday I had created a project US-EN to DE and opened a file successfully in it. TM and MT working great. But now I noticed I have to make changes to the source doc (it is a scanned text from a book). So I closed all and tried to open the edited doc in my project, but cannot do it. If I open the doc also a new project is open and has not TM and the language combination is wrong.

I will translate this book one chapter at a time. So I need to add files to the project when needed.

Is it possible in Studio?
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 19:14
English to Chinese
I am not an expert, but here are some tips Jul 18, 2012

Hi Heinrich,

If you have already created a project, then you should try to open the project instead of opening the file.
Click on the Blue Project bin icon (should be the second icon beneath the Home icon on your left), double-click the project you created, then you should be seeing a file with a magnet icon beneath the blue bin. If you click on that icon (called Files View in Studio 2011), you should be able to see the file you were working on. Right click on that file
... See more
Hi Heinrich,

If you have already created a project, then you should try to open the project instead of opening the file.
Click on the Blue Project bin icon (should be the second icon beneath the Home icon on your left), double-click the project you created, then you should be seeing a file with a magnet icon beneath the blue bin. If you click on that icon (called Files View in Studio 2011), you should be able to see the file you were working on. Right click on that file and select Open for translation option to open the file in the Editor. This way you will not create a project each time you open your working file.

To Add a file, you can use the "Add files to the current project" icon on your toolbar, but you need to switch the Files view to the source language. This part is somewhat confusing and I was actually thinking about asking SDL Support this question so that I could perform this task more efficiently.

I hope this helps. I also hope other more advanced Studio users will provide you with more information that I could benefit from, too.

Chun-yi

PS. I don't know what you meant by "make changes to the source doc", but if you meant what you meant, I am afraid Studio 2009 will not allow you to modify your source text.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Yesterday I had created a project US-EN to DE and opened a file successfully in it. TM and MT working great. But now I noticed I have to make changes to the source doc (it is a scanned text from a book). So I closed all and tried to open the edited doc in my project, but cannot do it. If I open the doc also a new project is open and has not TM and the language combination is wrong.

I will translate this book one chapter at a time. So I need to add files to the project when needed.

[Edited at 2012-07-18 04:18 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, I'll try this next time Jul 18, 2012

I need to open new files in my project, either files I have re-edited in Word or newly created.
For the time being I'll continue on WFP, where the setup is easy, but the editor somewhat inferior to STudio's.

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Look in the help files Jul 18, 2012

under Creating and Managing Projects>How to Manage a Project>Managing Project Files> Add Files to an Existing Project

In a nutshell:
1. Select any existing file in the current project.
2. In the left Pane change the language to Source Language
3. Select the icon "Add Files to the current project" (in the file view it will be the first active icon from the left, it looks like a page of a document with an orange star in the upper left corner).
4. Browsing thro
... See more
under Creating and Managing Projects>How to Manage a Project>Managing Project Files> Add Files to an Existing Project

In a nutshell:
1. Select any existing file in the current project.
2. In the left Pane change the language to Source Language
3. Select the icon "Add Files to the current project" (in the file view it will be the first active icon from the left, it looks like a page of a document with an orange star in the upper left corner).
4. Browsing through the files select the source file you want to add.

Now you have to prepare the file for translation for which you must:
5. Select the newly imported file
6. Go to the top menu and select File>Batch Tasks>Prepare.

Now the file is nearly ready. The last step will be:
7. Change the language of the selected new file back to target language.

If you have done everything correctlly, you will see the old files and the newly added one in the right pane of your translation window.
If the new file is an updated version of the new file and you don't need the old file, select the old file and using the icon "Remove the selected file...." (it looks like a document page with a small red cross in the lower left corner) delete the old file. Actually, if you hover the cursor over any of the icons you can see the pop-up windows with the icon name.
I would advise you either to take a course on Studio, or study it when you have time by yourself, trying every function on actual files. Studio is a very good tool, but there are many tricks which you have to learn to operate it to its full capacity.
Best of luck,
Alex
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice Jul 19, 2012

It seems to me Studio was built more from the agency point of view, not really for translators. Perhaps I'll wait till they allow me to open a project, which stays active as long as I do not select any other project, and let my simply open files with settings unchanged. This is possible in SDLX, so why should it not be possible in newer version of the software?

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Local time: 04:14
Italian to English
yes, new files can be added to projects at any time; yes, project remains active until changed Jul 19, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Yes. I use Studio 2011, but before that used Studio 2009, and I belive it is the same.

To add files to the project when needed (which I do all the time), with the project open, go to Files, switch to the source language and click the 'add files to the current project' button in the toolbar. Then 'prepare' the file, switch to the target language and you are ready to translate the file.

Unless I am mistaken, if you need to edit the source document, the updated source document will need to be added to the project and prepared before you can resume translating. In this case any segments translated using the previous version of the source file would be filled in from the project TM. Again, unless there is an advanced way of handling changes to source files that I do not know about (I am not an advanced user of Studio, but I am a daily user!), that is how it works...

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Perhaps I'll wait till they allow me to open a project, which stays active as long as I do not select any other project, and let my simply open files with settings unchanged. This is possible in SDLX, so why should it not be possible in newer version of the software?

In Studio 2011, and I believe this was also true in Studio 2009, the last project open is always the one that opens whenever I launch Studio, with all of the settings intact. That is, the last project that was active is the project that is active when Studio is launched. And that project remains active until another project is selected.

Is it possible that the files you are referring to are not part of the project you wish to be working within?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add files to existing project?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »