SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 - Slow
Thread poster: Nicolas LEFEVRE
Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 05:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
other issues with Studio 2011 SP2 Aug 1, 2012

I haven't noticed that my application has slowed down. I use Panda antivirus.

what happens to me, both on an old XP laptop and a brand new Windows 7 laptop, is that SP2 tends to skip and "jump over" segments when pretranslating and when pressing Ctrl+Shift. it tends to leave segments blank during work. has anyone experienced this anoying issue also?

Francisco Paredes Maldonado
Francisco Paredes Maldonado  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Comments also a source of slowdown in SP2 Aug 2, 2012

Hi all,

Had to roll back to SP1 here as well. Switching from Microsoft Security Essentials to AVG Free seemed to reduce the saving and loading times somewhat, but the straw that broke the camel's back for me was a serious issue with comments.

Basically, whenever I am editing a commented segment, the whole interface grinds to a near halt - to the point that each keystroke takes about one second to register. I use comments fairly often and this issue made working on SP2 a
... See more
Hi all,

Had to roll back to SP1 here as well. Switching from Microsoft Security Essentials to AVG Free seemed to reduce the saving and loading times somewhat, but the straw that broke the camel's back for me was a serious issue with comments.

Basically, whenever I am editing a commented segment, the whole interface grinds to a near halt - to the point that each keystroke takes about one second to register. I use comments fairly often and this issue made working on SP2 absolutely miserable.

Uninstalled SP2 and went back to an old copy of SP1, and the problem disappeared (same config otherwise). I'm not sure what the SDL dev team has tinkered with exactly on SP2, but it's clearly broken far more things than it has fixed. As much as I like Studio and think it has come a long way, I have to echo Mike's sentiment that SP2 was not tested thoroughly enough before release and this reflects poorly on the company's image.

@Paul: Any idea when we can expect a fix for SP2? Whatever the source of the problem is, the fact that SP1 works fine on the same config really seems to point to an issue with the update itself, rather than a software conflict.
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Adding new terms is terribly slow Aug 3, 2012

Hi everybody,
I experience a frustrating slowness in adding new terms to the termbase in Trados Studio.
It can take up to 20 seconds to add a new term...
For the rest, it is working fine for me.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I can't reproduce this Aug 6, 2012

Francisco Paredes Maldonado wrote:

Basically, whenever I am editing a commented segment, the whole interface grinds to a near halt - to the point that each keystroke takes about one second to register. I use comments fairly often and this issue made working on SP2 absolutely miserable.

@Paul: Any idea when we can expect a fix for SP2? Whatever the source of the problem is, the fact that SP1 works fine on the same config really seems to point to an issue with the update itself, rather than a software conflict.

Hi Francisco,

I have tried to reproduce this today, and I also passed this comment onto our Product Manager last week when I was on leave and he couldn't either. Perhaps you can provide a little more information here, or even let me have a copy of the project that behaves in this way?

So what sort of file are you translating, does this happen with every file you translate, how many segments, how many comments, are the comments full segment comments or sub-segment comments, how many TMs are you using, are you using MT, are you using a termbase (or several) are you in review mode or translation etc. A copy of your project would be best but I understand if this is trick.

But the more information you can provide the better... certainly I can't tell you when we'll fix it when we don't know what to fix

Thanks

Paul

Francisco Paredes Maldonado
Francisco Paredes Maldonado  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I may actually be able to send you a copy Aug 6, 2012

Hi Paul,

Project is a package file from Worldserver (original source was XLS, I think). File is 33000 words, about 4000 segments in total. Happens with both full and sub-segment comments. Two TMs, one (smallish) termbase, no MT, and in the translation stage. This is on a fairly decent PC (Windows 7, 2.40 Ghz, quad-core, 6GB RAM).

Did not have a chance to try this on other projects as SP2 only lasted about one day on my machine before I lost patience with it....
See more
Hi Paul,

Project is a package file from Worldserver (original source was XLS, I think). File is 33000 words, about 4000 segments in total. Happens with both full and sub-segment comments. Two TMs, one (smallish) termbase, no MT, and in the translation stage. This is on a fairly decent PC (Windows 7, 2.40 Ghz, quad-core, 6GB RAM).

Did not have a chance to try this on other projects as SP2 only lasted about one day on my machine before I lost patience with it.

The project PM is a colleague of yours from Granada, so if you can send me your SDL address by private e-mail I can ask him to forward you a copy. That might make it easier to reproduce the issue.

Cheers,

Fran
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Sending the package Aug 6, 2012

Hi Fran,

You can send this to [email protected]

Regards

Paul

Takeshi Suda
Takeshi Suda
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
MS Security Essentials is the Blocker Aug 15, 2012

Yes I have followed all the steps on the SDL Knowledge Base that still left the same snail slow performance with MS Security Essential and took some six hours to prepare a project with about 40k words, and one hour every time I save a file included in the project.

It looks like that nothing but MS Security Essentials is the blocker as AVG Free worked no problem as found in Francisco's case. I somewhat disappointed about SP2 to find that it left such a big spot before its launch.
... See more
Yes I have followed all the steps on the SDL Knowledge Base that still left the same snail slow performance with MS Security Essential and took some six hours to prepare a project with about 40k words, and one hour every time I save a file included in the project.

It looks like that nothing but MS Security Essentials is the blocker as AVG Free worked no problem as found in Francisco's case. I somewhat disappointed about SP2 to find that it left such a big spot before its launch.

I appreciate Francisco's comment that hopefully saves any further damage on my schedule after losing three full days during the second busiest time of the year.

Further in this regard, is there any other known Antivirus that works good with Studio2011 SP2?

I do not need any "overkill" software as I use a router and I almost never open ports to play games or to use Skype, and just like everybody else, love freebies.
Collapse

Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 15:55
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Not Slower, But Definitely Buggier Aug 16, 2012

For me, SP2 has not been noticeably slower than SP1, but nor has it been any faster. However, it is noticeably buggier than SP1. For example, when I'm setting up projects, I frequently get an error message when trying to prepare files saying that the file could not be converted because of a "write-protected memory" or some such (although this is usually fixable by simply going back a screen or two and then clicking "Finish" again - still annoying though). I occasionally get the same message when... See more
For me, SP2 has not been noticeably slower than SP1, but nor has it been any faster. However, it is noticeably buggier than SP1. For example, when I'm setting up projects, I frequently get an error message when trying to prepare files saying that the file could not be converted because of a "write-protected memory" or some such (although this is usually fixable by simply going back a screen or two and then clicking "Finish" again - still annoying though). I occasionally get the same message when I'm trying to "save as target", but it's usually fine when I close Studio and reopen it. Sometimes, the program "encounters a problem and needs to close", which again, I never experienced in SP1. Or it doesn't even give that message, but just closes out of the blue. On the plus side, it usually seems more stable when I start it back up.

The most aggravating and frustrating bug, however, has developed with regard to upgrading old translation memories. It affects memories that have multiple types of target language (US English, UK English, NZ English ...). In SP1, I had absolutely no problem in creating SDL memories for each target language type (German-US English, German-UK English etc.) and importing the contents of the old TMs into the new ones. But in SP2, Studio will no longer do this. It absurdly and inexplicably claims that the wrong language pair is specified in every case (so if you're trying to create a German-US English TM, it will claim that the language pair in the old TM is German-UK English). The specific error message I get (which itself has a mistake in it, repeating the word "language"!) is as follows:

"The language language [sic] pair of the import file [de-DE>en-US] does not match the language pair of the Translation Memory [de-DE>en-GB]"

Yet I'm using the exact same settings as I did in SP1, and had no problems with it then. It's absolutely maddening. So I really hope SDL can get a patch together for this bug in particular. SP2 has created a serious bug where there wasn't one before.

[Edited at 2012-08-16 06:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-16 06:50 GMT]
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Really Slower Aug 16, 2012

I'm translating a 25,000 word ttx file and it takes ages to save (Windows Vista Pro French - Quad processor 4GB of RAM - Defender disabled) up to 4 minutes - moved the sdlxliff file to my laptop (i7 Windows 7 64-bit - 8GB of RAM) and only takes a few seconds!

Takeshi Suda
Takeshi Suda
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
Try save ttx direct Aug 17, 2012

Hi Bernard,

Yes, that's exactly what I had on my i7 HT/Quadcore with 4GB memory machine. Have you tried to stop your antivirus (you may be using MS Security Essentials)? If no, it's worth trying at your own risk right now with disconnected Internet; stop the security and set up the project, analyze or save, then put the security back.

There is, however, a walk-around I found if you have the second Plus license installed on another PC, and if you do not want to take any
... See more
Hi Bernard,

Yes, that's exactly what I had on my i7 HT/Quadcore with 4GB memory machine. Have you tried to stop your antivirus (you may be using MS Security Essentials)? If no, it's worth trying at your own risk right now with disconnected Internet; stop the security and set up the project, analyze or save, then put the security back.

There is, however, a walk-around I found if you have the second Plus license installed on another PC, and if you do not want to take any chance by shutting down your security:

Open and Save ttx directly from the menu, that is to say, open the ttx from "File" menu: Open, then Document, and then save it back to ttx after working on it from the "File" menu: Save target as then select ttx. By doing this, you can circumvent the worst case scenario: losing your progress due to any possible crash.

As for your second PC, you can copy the entire project folder to the second PC with a USB flash and auto translate while working with your main i7 machine, then save it taking couple of hours or so. Once you set up the duplicate to your second PC, you can just copy the TM file to update the TM on your second PC as you progress, and likewise you can auto-translate and save with the sluggish performance without having to wait.

Actually this is what I did before I found that the Microsoft Security Essentials was the root cause in my case.

As in my previous post, AVG worked no problem.

Good Luck,

[Edited at 2012-08-18 08:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-18 08:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-18 08:11 GMT]
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
MacAfee Aug 18, 2012

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your input. I've got McAfee Antivirus Plus on my Vista PC and when disabling it, it takes less than a minute to save, so it's definitely the antivirus that is causing the problem but was not an issue with SP1.

Trend Micro on my laptop doesn't seem to cause any problem but it's a much faster machine.

Bernard

Matti Peteri
Matti Peteri
Mexico
Local time: 20:55
English to Finnish
MSE fix for SP2 Sep 4, 2012

Hi all,

Some others might benefit from this, too...

By adding SDL Trados Studio 201 SP2 studio to MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) excluded processes, saving a project went from 60+ minutes (plus application crash every single time) to less than 15 seconds...

Cheers
Matti

[Edited at 2012-09-04 07:43 GMT]

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Same problem but with packages Sep 4, 2012

I have this problem with packages in particular - any action such as saving the document, typing text, even moving between segments, causes the application to grind to a halt. It took me three hours to prepare a return package, a process that usually takes a few minutes. I also have frequent error messages saying the TM cannot be accessed, along with the famous 'object reference not set to a reference of an object'.

I have AVG (full version). I've added Studio 2011 to the list of e
... See more
I have this problem with packages in particular - any action such as saving the document, typing text, even moving between segments, causes the application to grind to a halt. It took me three hours to prepare a return package, a process that usually takes a few minutes. I also have frequent error messages saying the TM cannot be accessed, along with the famous 'object reference not set to a reference of an object'.

I have AVG (full version). I've added Studio 2011 to the list of exceptions but I'm not really sure it's this that's to blame.
Collapse

Constance Mannshardt
Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Save and analyse TOO slow Sep 23, 2012

I'm having huge problems in analysing and saving files or projects since I am working with Studio 2011 (updated to SP 2R today). I haven't been able at all to have one single file analysed, not to mention a huge project I am working on. Saving files is also a issue, it took me about half an hour to save a 2.1 MB ttx-file (sdlxiff).
I had to save a TM for Trados 2007 in order to have the project files analysed!
I work on a Mac (Sophos, anti/virus) with Parallels. The files I am worki
... See more
I'm having huge problems in analysing and saving files or projects since I am working with Studio 2011 (updated to SP 2R today). I haven't been able at all to have one single file analysed, not to mention a huge project I am working on. Saving files is also a issue, it took me about half an hour to save a 2.1 MB ttx-file (sdlxiff).
I had to save a TM for Trados 2007 in order to have the project files analysed!
I work on a Mac (Sophos, anti/virus) with Parallels. The files I am working right now are ttx-files.

Support told me time for analysing and saving would be file dependent, the bigger the file, the slower the process. But the way it is working (or not) doesn't seem normal to me.

Any solution or input?
Collapse

Pavel Janoušek
Pavel Janoušek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
Microsoft Security Essentials Sep 25, 2012

My big thank you to all of you who suggested that the performance may be slowed down due to Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have uninstalled it and replaced it with AVG 2013. Studio now works as it should, quickly and reliably

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 - Slow

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »