Cannot save target text - late on three deadlines now
Thread poster: Lisa Ritchie

Lisa Ritchie  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:36
German to English
+ ...
Jul 18, 2012

Help! I have a problem with Trados Studio 2009. I've spent the whole morning trying to solve it but to not avail. Not only am I now late on this job, but the deadlines of my next jobs are now being jeapordised. I've followed the advice given on the forum already, but nothing is working.

When I try to save the target file, I get the following message:

The exact error message is:

Failed to save target content: Missing tag'bookmarkend id="0"/>' in segment. Please run the Tag Verification to see details.

When I verify tags, it indicates one error. When I click on it, it takes me to a segment but there is no error marked there (or tag). When I just copy the source to the target and save as, I get the same message.

My translation is very large but, nevertheless, I returned to the source file and saved it as .doc instead of .docx. The problem is still there. I even removed the offending text from the source and retranslated (which took ages because the pre-tranlsate files function didn't work, so I had to sit and watch it translate segment-by-segment), but the error is still there - on a different part of the text now.

I really am starting to despair.

Can someone please help?

Arlete Moraes  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Contact the project manager Jul 18, 2012

Hi Lisa,
Why don't you tell the project manager what's happening? Is your client an agency? They should be able to help you out.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The quick solution Jul 18, 2012

Hello Lisa,
try one of the following:
1. Open & repair + retranslate using your TM
- Open MS Word
- Click on "Open"
- Browse to the source Word file, but don't open it by double-clicking; instead just select it and then click on the small arrow in the "Open" button and select "Open & Repair"
- Re-save the Word file under a different name
- Load this new file into your Studio project and use your current TM to pretranslate it
- See if the problem persists

2. Word > RTF + retranslate using your TM, then RTF > Word
- Open the source Word file and save it as RTF
- Load the RTF file into your Studio project and use your current TM to pretranslate it
- Generate the target file (SHIFT+F12 from within the editor)
- Open the target RTF and save it as Word again

I hope either of them will work for you.

Lisa Ritchie  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contact the project manager Jul 18, 2012

Hi Arlene,

Thanks, normally I would do that, but it's for a direct client. :-/

Not only am I late on this deadline, but my next deadline is in two hours, and I doubt I'm going to make that, which will then throw the deadline after that in jeapordy. I'm really unimpressed to say the least.

I'm trying again with the doc file.

Thanks again for your reply.

Lisa

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Agree with Stanislav Jul 18, 2012

Particularly the RTF solution - I have used that a few times in similar situations.

Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Maybe a problem of tag display? Jul 18, 2012

Dear Lisa,
maybe you don't see the error because you have chosen to display only partial tag text?
You should go to "format -> tag display mode -> full tag text.
Hope this help

jimshanks
Local time: 19:36
Dutch to English
Handy Tip? Jul 18, 2012

I have mentioned this before, but I always make sure that I can save the target as soon as I start the job (e.g. after translating the first segment).
If it saves at this stage it will save at the end unless you do something to prevent this. If it does not save at this stage you have the opportunity to sort it out before you start translating.
I also save a target at regular intervals to confirm that it will still save. I know that this is a bit of a pain, but I then know that the problem lies in a segment I translated since the last save and this makes it easier to localise the error.

I know this will not solve your current problem, but it will make it easier to solve problems in future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot save target text - late on three deadlines now

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search