Clare Swann
Clare Swann
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:42
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 18, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Studio and finding it all quite confusing! I have question which is probably really basic but I would very much appreciate your help. I've been given a TM from a client which is a TMX file and cannot work out how to upload it to Studio. I've tried both adding and creating a TM but Studio just doesn't seem to detect the file at all so I can't upload it into Studio.
Am I missing something really obvious here?!

Thank you.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Tools, Upgrade TMs Jul 18, 2012

Hi Clare,

This came up the other day under a slightly different heading. This is what I suggested then, though there are probably other ways of doing it too:

I have a client who regularly sends me 2007 memories. You should be able to upgrade the memory, under Tools (I think). I usually save the TM in my usual folder, then click on Add file-based TMs under Upgrade translation memories. It should then guide you through the process - quite straightforward! It can take some
... See more
Hi Clare,

This came up the other day under a slightly different heading. This is what I suggested then, though there are probably other ways of doing it too:

I have a client who regularly sends me 2007 memories. You should be able to upgrade the memory, under Tools (I think). I usually save the TM in my usual folder, then click on Add file-based TMs under Upgrade translation memories. It should then guide you through the process - quite straightforward! It can take some time depending on the size of the memory; my original client advised me to go and make a cup of tea whilst it was doing its stuff!

Good luck,

Claire

[Edited at 2012-07-18 15:49 GMT]
Collapse

Clare Swann
Clare Swann
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it worked! Jul 18, 2012

Hi, thank you Claire, I did what you suggested and it worked! I knew there must be a way but not having used the program before I'm still learning about basic features! It's good to know there's a way to use 2007 TMs.

Thanks again!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:42
English to Czech
+ ...
Not "Upgrade" with TMX Jul 18, 2012

Claire Cox wrote:

Hi Clare,

I have a client who regularly sends me 2007 memories. You should be able to upgrade the memory, under Tools (I think).

This is for T2007 memories. With TMX files, you simply create a new TM and import the TMX file there.

Clare Swann
Clare Swann
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would recommend upgrading the TM in this situation Jul 18, 2012

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your reply. I tried what you suggested before posting but it didn't work, the TMX file was just not detected at all by Studio. Claire's method worked so I'd suggest that to people if they've tried creating a TM and having the same problem with not being able to detect the TMX file.

Cheers.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 10:42
English to Chinese
another option: create a new translation memory and import the tmx file Jul 18, 2012

Hi Clare,

If the client's TM is in tmx format, you can create a new TM (File>New>Translation Memory), making sure the correct languages are selected, and then import the tmx file to the empty TM by using the import icon in the toolbar when you are in the translation memory view.

Chun-yi

Clare_H wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Studio and finding it all quite confusing! I have question which is probably really basic but I would very much appreciate your help. I've been given a TM from a client which is a TMX file and cannot work out how to upload it to Studio. I've tried both adding and creating a TM but Studio just doesn't seem to detect the file at all so I can't upload it into Studio.
Am I missing something really obvious here?!

Thank you.

Clare Swann
Clare Swann
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 18, 2012

[quote]Chun-yi Chen wrote:

Hi Clare,

If the client's TM is in tmx format, you can create a new TM (File>New>Translation Memory), making sure the correct languages are selected, and then import the tmx file to the empty TM by using the import icon in the toolbar when you are in the translation memory view.

Chun-yi

[quote]

Hi Chun-yi, thank you for the advice! I will try that first off next time.

Also Claire I did reply to you but the post is still not approved for some reason - just to say thank you and that upgrading the TM worked!

Thanks everyone for your help.

*EDIT never mind, it's shown up now!

[Edited at 2012-07-18 16:23 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
What was not working? Jul 18, 2012

Clare_H wrote:

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for your reply. I tried what you suggested before posting but it didn't work, the TMX file was just not detected at all by Studio. Claire's method worked so I'd suggest that to people if they've tried creating a TM and having the same problem with not being able to detect the TMX file.

Cheers.

Hi Clare,
I'm really wondering what was not working. If you create the TM and press Import, you get the following dialog box:

There you can select the TMX file for import. I really can't see what could go wrong here.

Clare Swann
Clare Swann
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 18, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Clare,
I'm really wondering what was not working. If you create the TM and press Import, you get the following dialog box:

There you can select the TMX file for import. I really can't see what could go wrong here.

Hi,

My apologies, you are absolutely right, I've just tried it. I am not much of a computer whizz and I guess I just didn't notice the option, could have sworn I'd looked but obviously not! Bit embarrassing. Anyway thank you for posting the screenshot, I will know for next time!

Clare

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Good for others to know Jul 18, 2012

Clare_H wrote:
My apologies, you are absolutely right, I've just tried it. I am not much of a computer whizz and I guess I just didn't notice the option, could have sworn I'd looked but obviously not! Bit embarrassing. Anyway thank you for posting the screenshot, I will know for next time!

Thank you for confirming this, Clare; I just thought there were some problems with the import.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Uploading a TMX file to Studio 2011

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »