Why have SDL taken back my license for SDL Trados Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2012

When I purchased Trados about 2 years ago, I received licenses for SDL Trados 2007 Freelance Suite, SDL Trados Studio 2009, and SDL Trados Studio 2011. I had these licenses in my login area (my SDL Account). And I used both Studio 2009 and Studio 2011 on my old laptop.

After I bought I new laptop and installed everything on that, I discovered that the license for SDL Trados Studio 2009 was gone from my SDL Account! So I can't use version 2009 any longer, only version 2011.

This is a problem because my last customer that I submitted a job for tonight wanted me to use version 2009 as they use it and had experienced problems when translators have used version 2011. And I received a new request tonight from another customer that required me to use version 2009 for a job.

So I wonder what to do now? Of course I will submit a support request to SDL, but what should I do if they won't give the license back to me? How much does it cost to purchase version 2009 if I have version 2011 of Studio? But still, if they included version 2009 in my package when I bought it 2 years ago, do they have any legal rights to take it back later?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:31
English to Czech
+ ...
Studio 2009 license Jul 18, 2012

Hi Fredrik,
with the release of Studio 2011 (about one year ago), SDL announced that upgraders from Studio 2009 would be able to use both the 2009 and the 2011 versions side by side, as long as they don't uninstall Studio 2009.

Which means, once you uninstall Studio 2009 or lose your license, it cannot be retrieved. This is due to the fact that Studio 2011 uses a different licensing system (Nalpeiron) than T2009 and earlier.

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No other option than to buy version 2009? Jul 18, 2012

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for quick reply. So that's the reason why the license suddenly disappeared from my SDL account. There seems to be no other option for me than to buy version 2009 then. Because there are still many customers who want me to use version 2009 and not 2011. SDL Support told me I could open the project package in Studio 2011, but that option was greyed out (not selectable), and I still think they are not compatible with each other (as my customer said: they have had problems with processing files from Studio 2011 in their Studio 2009).

Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
They are perfectly compatible Jul 18, 2012

In my experience they are compatible. I had the same problem but I still have customers who send me packages in 2009 and I open, translate and return using 2011 with no problem. You certainly do not need to buy the old program.
Eileen

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Of course they are Jul 18, 2012

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

In my experience they are compatible.

Of course they are fully compatible, or at least I've never had any problems. In my experience, what leads to such absurd statements and requirements is the fact that some PMs are simply afraid that something might possibly and perhaps go wrong.

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
There is a compatibility issue Jul 19, 2012

This has been discussed before. Packages work fine between both versions. However, someone using 2009 cannot open an sdlxliff file translated in 2011, which is a compatibility issue, and there is nothing 'absurd' about pointing it out. I received the same advice as Frederik on another thread, namely to use packages. However, like Frederik, I found the option greyed out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search