Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP 2 - unable to ascribe quicktag buttons?
Thread poster: Daniel Isaacs
Daniel Isaacs
Local time: 08:04
Hebrew to English
Jul 19, 2012

Hello!

Just upgraded to SP 2, lost my quicktag settings. Can't get rid of the useless"BR" at CTRL+7 (where my smartquotes used to be) and cannot, for the life of me, get the curly apostrophe back to CTRL+9. Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Daniel

[Edited at 2012-07-19 11:26 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:04
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
My personalized QuickInserts are gone too Jul 19, 2012

Hi Daniel,

Sorry I can't offer any help but I can confirm that my personalized QuickInserts are gone from the toolbar too although they do appear in the "Select a QuickInsert item from a list of those available" on the toolbar. I even tried removing them and adding "new" ones to no avail.

Lets hope someone can offer a solution.

Cheers!

Rich

Daniel Isaacs
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
I too tried removing them and adding them again ... Jul 21, 2012

It didn't help either. They appear on the QuickInsert list, but that is terribly cumbersome when all you want to do is type an apostrophe in the middle of a word.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one though. Thanks for your reply, Rich.

Hopefully someone on the Mother Ship will hear our cry and instruct us as to what we can do, and if they will be able to fix it.

Cheers

Daniel

Daniel Isaacs
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still waiting for an answer Jul 24, 2012

Anyone at SDL Support able to help out here? This is a frustrating, albeit little, problem.

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:04
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Me too! Jul 24, 2012

help requested seconded!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:04
English
Quick Inserts Jul 25, 2012

Hi,

It seems we have indeed broken the ability to set keyboard shortcuts for QuickInserts with the final build of SP2. The addition of more built-in Quick Inserts for BiDi users and highlighting has also "pushed" any existing ones you had off the list. This will be fixed in a future cumulative update to SP2. Many apologies for this inconvenience.

In the meantime you can add your Quick Inserts to the available list for each filetype in here for example:

These are then available from the Quick Insert toolbar here:

However, this is clumsy and requires the mouse as you have stated. So another alternatgive, that might actually lend you even more flexibility once you get used to using it is AutoHotkey:

http://www.autohotkey.com/

There are some ready made scripts available somewhere... so if anyone knows of them perhaps they can post here... otherwise I'll add the link when I find them again.

Regards

Paul

Daniel Isaacs
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reply Jul 25, 2012

I guess we'll just have to wait for the update. Glad I drew your attention to it at least.

By the way, I work with BiDi, (HE>EN) but I'm not sure I understand what the new tags you introduced do, and how they can enhance my use of Studio. Is there an explanation of these somewhere?

Thanks

Daniel

United Kingdom
English
If you use these controls then you would know... Jul 25, 2012

Hi Daniel,

I think the most commonly used are the implicit Left to Right and Right to Left markers, so these two:

Left to Right Mark - LRM - U+200E
Right to Left Mark - RLM - U+200F

But there are more explicit controls:

Left to Right Embedding - LRE - U+202A
Right to Left Embedding - RLE - U+202B
Pop Directional Formatting - PDF - U+202C
Left to Right Override - LRO - U+202D
Right to Left Override - RLO - U+202E

I'm no expert in this which is why I said if you used these unicode characters for your own work then you'd know immediately where the benefits were. You can read more on this here:

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/

I think, on reading this myself, that the two implicit controls are used for most scenarios, but it may be that when translating software strings for example it may be preferable to use different codes. So having the ability to create keyboard shortcuts for these is a plus for translators who use them

Regards

Paul

Daniel Isaacs
Hebrew to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 26, 2012

Ok, looked at that and realized why it doesn't apply to me, but why it is nevertheless important for those who do need it. Thanks for the clarification.

Daniel

Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
This doesn't appear to have been fixed in the new version (3046) of Service Pack 2 (18/09/2012) Sep 19, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

It seems we have indeed broken the ability to set keyboard shortcuts for QuickInserts with the final build of SP2. The addition of more built-in Quick Inserts for BiDi users and highlighting has also "pushed" any existing ones you had off the list. This will be fixed in a future cumulative update to SP2. Many apologies for this inconvenience. (...)

Paul

Hi Paul

I downloaded the new version (3046) of SP2 on 18 Sept (2012) and I was hoping that the QuickInsert issue would be fixed. However, it doesn't seem to be the case (at least not in the project I am currently working on).

Could you update us as to when/how it will fixed? Massimo told me (on 31 July) that this would be addressed in a cumulative patch.

Thank you for your help.

Alexa

United Kingdom
English
QuickInsert updates Sep 19, 2012

Hi Alexa,

Unfortunately this didn't make it into this release. I'm hoping we'll see this in the next cumulative update which won't be too far away, and I'll update you when I'm sure of the dates.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards

Paul

Sandor Juhasz
English to Hungarian
+ ...
An inconvenience, indeed Oct 5, 2012

Hi Paul,

It really is an inconvenience, so we are eagerly looking forward to the fix.

Best regards

Sandor

United Kingdom
English
Just an update... Dec 12, 2012

... this issue was resolved in CU7 which was provided last week as an automatic update. If you don;t have it yet you can find it here: http://kb.sdl.com/kb/article?ArticleId=4536&source=Article&c=12&cid=23

Please note you must have Studio 2011 SP2R installed before you can apply this update, it is not going to work for an earlier version.

Regards

Paul

Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Any news on this? Dec 13, 2012

I appear to have the latest patch mentioned above (the numbers etc. mentioned in the linked article match with what mine says) but I'm still missing my shortcut keys to remove bold print/underlining/italics.... any news? Thanks!

United Kingdom
English
Can't you use... Dec 15, 2012

... Ctrl+b, Ctr;+i and Ctrl+u ? You can also find them in the Keyboard Shortcuts under Tools -> Options -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Editor -> QuickInsert Toolbar

These all work for me. What is the file format you are translating... perhaps these formatting marks are not supported in the file you are working on?

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP 2 - unable to ascribe quicktag buttons?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search