Claudia Schreiner  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 12:11
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 21, 2012

Dear Trados-users,

I know how you actually have to proceed if you want to merge segments. The only problem is that it doesn't work. I did what's said below:

"In the Editor window, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the segment number column to select rows you want to merge.

Right-click in the segment number column of the last selected row and select Merge Segments from the shortcut menu. If there are any translations for the merged segments, those translations are merged."

But "Merge Segments" is light grey (not activated), so I can not select it. It might have to do with the source text, but I cannot edit the source text in my editor, can I?

Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2012-07-21 16:25 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Merging over paragraph breaks not possible Jul 21, 2012

Claudia Schreiner wrote:
But "Merge Segments" is light grey (not activated), so I can not select it. It might have to do with the source text, but I cannot edit the source text in my editor, can I?

Hi Claudia,
you are probably trying to merge two segments that are sparated with a paragraph break from each other. In this case, merging segments is not possible.

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Speaks Jul 21, 2012

Once again, Trados functionality speaks for itself.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
Finnish to French
Kind of possible Jul 21, 2012

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
you are probably trying to merge two segments that are sparated with a paragraph break from each other. In this case, merging segments is not possible.

It is in fact kind of possible, via a workaround described by Emma Goldsmith in a recent thread. Cumbersome compared to what you can do with other tools such as memoQ.

Rosa Grau (X)
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Paragraph Jul 21, 2012

Yes, I agree that it can only be used within paragraphs, you cannot merge segments belonging to different paragraphs. It is explained somewhere in the help. And it is a nonsense limitation.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
It's a technical limitation Jul 21, 2012

Rosa Grau wrote:
Yes, I agree that it can only be used within paragraphs, you cannot merge segments belonging to different paragraphs. It is explained somewhere in the help. And it is a nonsense limitation.

Hi Rosa,

I too would love to see this capability in Studio, but until the development team make this possible without causing problems because of the way Studio, and Trados, segments files it won't be made available.

Studio and Trados have the concept of a paragraph allowing both sentence or paragraph based segmentation. This is beneficial for many users, but it does bring with it limitations as we all know.

You can be sure the Studio Product Management are well aware of the desire for this from both internal and external sources and if it could be done without risk we would have seen it by now. It's taken a long time to get edit source for a similar reason, and during the Beta Phase we actually had builds that allowed this for every file format. But the development team had some concerns over the potential problems that merging some file types posed over others so the final few builds restricted this to Word and Powerpoint. The intention is to extend this to more filetypes with future builds as adequate testing is completed to ensure robustness.

So it may be nonsense to you... but we don't restrict this just for fun. Reading threads like these is no fun!

Regards

Paul

Austria
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies Jul 21, 2012

Thank you very much everyone for answering me!

It's really frustrating when you get a huge file from a customer, work with Trados and then still have to correct afterwards again a lot in the word-file. This is very time-consuming.

And thank you Dominique for the link to Emma's blog. I tried that, but still it didn't work. I can see no paragraph break in my Editor, so there is nothing I can remove.

Anyway, thanks all for your replies!

Claudia

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
A couple of checks Jul 22, 2012

Claudia Schreiner wrote:

I can see no paragraph break in my Editor, so there is nothing I can remove.

Claudia

If you display "all content" in the Editor window you may see more content that is preventing you from merging these segments. Also, if you go back to your source document you can see if there is a paragraph mark in the original that isn't displayed in Editor under display "All segments".

Emma

Austria
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It seems not that easy Jul 22, 2012

Thank you for your info, Emma. I am glad I always learn something.

I tried what you told me, but then I have another problem: I can see tags because there is a key of a machine. The source text in German says: "Um zu ... DRÜCKEN SIE DIE – TASTE", in English: "In order to... PRESS THE KEY –." which finishes with a fullstop. So if I copy the structure from the source segment into my target segment and just overwrite the German into English, the sentence structure is different. So then I only have a fullstop in the second segment in English which also looks stupid in the word-file then, if there is just a fullstop at the beginning of the next line. So I've just decided I keep the formatting the way the customer sent me the file.

Thank you for your help!
Claudia

Jan Ramza
Slovakia
Member (2013)
English to Slovak
+ ...
Is one of the segments you want to merge an active segment? Jan 26, 2014

Claudia Schreiner wrote:

And thank you Dominique for the link to Emma's blog. I tried that, but still it didn't work. I can see no paragraph break in my Editor, so there is nothing I can remove.

The reason you see the merge segments option greyed out after right-clicking in the segment number column may be that none of the neighbouring segments you want to merge is an active segment, in other words it does not have light blue background colour. If you click in the segment status column or target text column and then follow all the other steps for merging segments, the merge segments option after right-clicking in the number segment column should appear normal colour.
Good luck!

Alekos Psimikakis  Identity Verified
English to Greek
+ ...
Can't merge segments! Dec 9, 2014

Jan Ramza wrote:

Claudia Schreiner wrote:

The reason you see the merge segments option greyed out after right-clicking in the segment number column may be that none of the neighbouring segments you want to merge is an active segment, in other words it does not have light blue background colour. If you click in the segment status column or target text column and then follow all the other steps for merging segments, the merge segments option after right-clicking in the number segment column should appear normal colour.
Good luck!

Hi!

Unfortunately, this doesn't work either. I went one step further and changed the status of the marked segs as "Not translated" just to try my luck. But With Trados, as with Microsoft, you are very seldom lucky! When they decide to grey out something, it has been decided. You can't do anything! (Except maybe if you are a relative of Bill Gates). They are of the same breed of developers.

Alekos

Alekos Psimikakis  Identity Verified
English to Greek
+ ...
Can't merge segments! Dec 9, 2014

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Claudia Schreiner wrote:

Hi Claudia,

Hi!

Of course the segs are marked with paragraph breaks! Which are *wrongly placed paragraph breaks*, and that's why you need to merge the segments! Otherwise, why merging them?

The problem here, as elsewhere, is only a problem of low programming IQ, lack of imagination and/or anticipation or care about user needs.

Alekos
(Freelance programmer and translator)

Matthew Paines  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
welcome to Japanese > English segmenting Feb 15, 2015

Studio 2014 on Windoze laptop here, and we see this segmenting issue a lot in my language pair.
The Japanese spend many years learning beautiful traditional calligraphy. So when it comes to producing documentation, they are justly proud of their handwriting and less interested in word-processing skills.

Like wordwrap...

The laptop becomes a typewrit-
er and they put in a hard carri-
age return where they think a
sentence ought to end, rather
like this. Looks a bit like a haik-
u, don't you think?

So a poorly-formatted doc file (or handwriting) is turned into a non-machine readable pdf.
When the translator hassles the agency to hassle the client for the original, it's like- why?

If I can get a clean doc file I can run a 'search & destroy' on all carriage returns - carefully.
But I guess this is why 'merge segments' isn't working on the file I'm translating right nowicon_frown.gif

m@

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2011: "Merge segments" doesn't work

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search