Is there a way to exclude certain codes in an Excel file from translation in SDL Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Jonathan Fray

Jonathan Fray
United States
Local time: 02:22
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2012

Hi!

I would like to know if anyone knows if there is a way to customize SDL Trados Studio's file settings to treat certain codes in an Excel file as tags or non-translatable.

For example in an Excel file there is: two 35@DG@ helix flutes and two 37@DG@ helix flutes
and
@TAB@The unique radius geometry of the solid FEEDMILL

Is there a way to configure SDL Trados Studio to either not import the text around @...@ as translatable or teat them as tags?

In the excel file these codes are actually enclosed by greater than and lesser than signals however i haven't put these in here becuase they dissapear in this post.

The text is full of these and I would like to know if would be a way to do this so that it would be easier to work and not dirty up the TM.

Thanks!
Jon

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:22
English
using Studio 2011 SP2... Jul 23, 2012

... yes there is. What version do you have?

Regards

Paul

Jonathan Fray
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Studio 2011 SP2 Jul 23, 2012

Thank you very much for your time Paul... It would be in Studio 2011 SP2. I tried for quite awhile under Embedded Content in the file types settings in Studio but couldn't get it to work.
I don't know really how to set all those tag definition rules and haven't really found any material that explains this well even though I'm SDL certified...

Once again, I appreciate very much your time!

United Kingdom
English
Great... Jul 23, 2012

... in this case if your files are exactly as shown in your first post then do the following based on this sheet (my guess at what you meant):

In the embedded content settings:

1. Enable it
2. Select Cell
3. Add a couple of placeholders as shown

Save it and open your file. Looks like this for me with the TAB now being moved out of view as it was at the start, and the inline <DG> showing as tags:

Is this what you meant?

Regards

Paul

ps. You do the angle brackets in here with & l t ; for the left and & g t ; for the right... without the spaces

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
> Jul 24, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

ps. You do the angle brackets in here with & l t ; for the left and & g t ; for the right... without the spaces

This is hardly of any importance, but when you want to show people how to use character entities, you can just type &amp;lt;, which will show up as &lt;.
(Now, in order to show you that, I had to type &amp;amp;lt; ... this loop is never gonna end.)

[Edited at 2012-07-24 09:13 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
&lt;b&gt;:-)&lt;\b&gt; Jul 24, 2012

FarkasAndras wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

This is hardly of any importance, but when you want to show people how to use character entities, you can just type &lt;, which will show up as <.
(Now, in order to show you that, I had to type &amp;lt; ... this loop is never gonna end.)

[Edited at 2012-07-24 09:13 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Quote Jul 24, 2012

You see, when you quote a post like you did there with mine, character entities get translated into characters again, so you have to add another amp; to my to &amp;amp;lt;

I told you this is never gonna end.

Jonathan Fray
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! It worked... Jul 24, 2012

Thanks Paul for your detailed explanation. I was able to do it.

Actually the codes were <@TAB@>, ect.

[Edited at 2012-07-24 15:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to exclude certain codes in an Excel file from translation in SDL Trados Studio?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search