Aligning IDML files with Studio 2011
Thread poster: Daniel McCosh

Daniel McCosh
Germany
Local time: 02:43
German to English
Jul 23, 2012

Hi Everyone,

At first glance it doesn't seem possible to align IDML files in Studio 2011 as in MemoQ 5.
WinAlign only seems to support INX. I guess one clunky way of aligning is just exporting the text from the InDesign documents or aligning INX files.

Has anyone gone any smart ideas how I can get round this for the highest leverage of the existing documents as I have an IDML source document (CS5) and downgrading/messing about with dodgy INX files is a considerable waste of time.

(Hello SDL Support, is WinAlign being actively developed to support new file formats?)

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Mondayicon_wink.gif

Kind regards,
Daniel

Direct link Reply with quote

Wish I knew Aug 16, 2012

I'm in the same boat as you! Let me know if you find a solution!

Daniel McCosh
Germany
Local time: 02:43
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Try MemoQ/Stingray Aligner/Aligning text files Aug 16, 2012

Hi there,

If somebody knowledgable could correct me if I'm wrong, I'd appreciate it.

You can't align IDML files using Studio 2011.

As far as I know, you can align IDML files with MemoQ or Stingray Aligner. I used MemoQ once with a document that was formatted properly and it worked well.

Alignment is extremely time consuming if you have a long document that is formatted badly and I think a lot of hours are wasted in the translation industry by aligning documents that aren't really useful. If you don't have a long document with lots of terminology in it (you may ask why you'd use InDesign for such projects) you may be better off simply translating the file again and referring to an existing translation on paper. Most of the InDesign documents that roll across my desk are marketing texts that don't really benefit from using translation memory.

However, I did need to align some IDML files recently. I exported the text from InDesign CS6 using a plugin and aligned the text files using Studio. I exported the TMX file from the Alignment module in Studio and imported it back into the translation memory in Studio. It worked for me.

As much as I moan about translating IDML files, I'm really glad that the days of INX and TagEditor are gone.

If you need more help, you can contact me privately with your IDML files: daniel@mccosh.de and I'll help you as much as/as soon as I can.

Kind regards,
Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aligning IDML files with Studio 2011

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search