Pablo Ramos  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2012

Hi there,

File type: TMX
Software: Studio SP2

I would like to know if anyone is having the same problem than me when importing TM from different languages variants (i.e. EN-GB TMs to EN-US TMs). I have been able to do this without problem with SP1, but now that I have upgraded to SP2, I keep getting the following message:

The language language [sic] pair of the import file [en-GB>es-ES] does not match the language pair of the Translation Memory [en-US>es-ES]

I hope there is a easy solution for this. I tried to open the file and change to "en-GB", but I must be doing something wrong, because it still doesn't work.

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:13
English to French
+ ...
Importing TMX Jul 24, 2012

Hi Pablo,

The procedure is quite simple:

1) Open your tmx in Wordpad
2 Replace "EN-US" with "EN-GB" --> Replace All - Save your tmx
3) Create a new TM in Studio 2011 SP2 language pairs: US and Spanish
4) Import your TMX

Works perfectly, I've done it x number of times with French variants.

Good luck,

Bernard

Pablo Ramos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 24, 2012

Thank you Bernard!

Barbara Rhoton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:13
English to German
+ ...
Same problem Aug 9, 2012

Since SP 2, I have the same problem and while the workaround works, I am a bit peeved that I have to add yet another step to my work flow.

Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:13
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Same Problem Here Aug 12, 2012

I'm having the same very frustrating problem when trying to upgrade old TMs that had several target language variants (US and UK English), and it has also developed since I upgraded to SP2 (it was never a problem in SP1). I thought SP2 was supposed to improve Studio 2011, but it certainly hasn't improved this particular function! Instead, it has added a serious bug that wasn't there before! I do hope the TRADOS people can provide a patch to fix this.

Scriptor  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Same problem here Aug 20, 2012

We've had the same problems, even when the "ignore sub-languages" option is checked. It all started after the supposed "upgrade". Really a giant headache if we have to manually change the sublanguage in the TTX/TMX files using a text editor.

I wish trados could fix this or just roll-back to when it was working !

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
fix Aug 21, 2012

Hi all,

We will fix this one in the next update which is out very soon.

Cheers,
Luis

Fong-chyi Wen  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
Problem with a multilingual TMX file Sep 10, 2012

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, but my TMX file contains multiple languages, and the workaround cited doesn't apply to me. I tried to use Xbench to export the language pair I want (EN-Us to ZH-TW), but Xbench failed me by recognizing Italian as ZH-TW. Maybe it's because Italian is the first language below English. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Wen

Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
For the SDL guys Sep 18, 2012

My issue is that I would like to be able to have as reference even TMs from other language pairs.
I translate "English into Spanish" and "Swedish into Spanish" but many of my clients are European, so they use GB and US sources indistinctively. Moreover, I have Swedish clients sending me mixed files with segments in both English and Swedish!

In Trados Studio 2011 SP2, I cannot use as reference any other language pairs than strictly the one declared for this file, which stinks because the source language shouldn't matter that much!
Technically, that the target language has the right spellcheck is vitally important, but the source language should be flexible! Please see to allow that for a future SP3!

LAB2004  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:13
Dutch to English
+ ...
Can't upgrade legacy SDLX TMs Jan 17, 2013

I'm having the same problem when trying to upgrade old TMs that have several target language variants (US and UK English).

Product: Studio SP2
Legacy TMs: SDLX 2007

Can someone take me through what I need to do step by step as I'm still trying to get to grips with Studio 2011 and I really need access to these TMs!

Many thanks.

Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:13
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Still Not Fixed Jun 18, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi all,

We will fix this one in the next update which is out very soon.

Cheers,
Luis

Well it's still not fixed. Even though I have the very latest patch, I cannot upgrade old TMs that were created for more than one target language dialect. With SP1, it all worked beautifully, but with SP2, you have managed to break something that didn't need fixing in the first place! I just can't use old TMs any more, and it's utterly maddening, especially when some of them were quite large (although at least the one I was trying to upgrade today was fairly small, so not a massive loss).

Here's a log file of my failed TM upgrade. I made several attempts at it, trying different things, with the same result. Sorry for all the code, but maybe an SDL person might be able to figure out exactly what's going wrong with this:

------------------------------------------------------------
Translation memory upgrade started (18/06/2013 1:47:21 p.m.)

Working folder: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Upgrade Translation Memories\Upgrade 2013-06-18 13-46-17

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Export C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw (18/06/2013 1:47:21 p.m.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Input TM : C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw
Target TMX file : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Upgrade Translation Memories\Upgrade 2013-06-18 13-46-17\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmx
Translation units: 532
Export completed (18/06/2013 1:47:23 p.m.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create translation memory Spanish Pharmaceutical_es-ES_en-NZ (18/06/2013 1:47:23 p.m.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type : File
TM location : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Translation Memories\Spanish Pharmaceutical_es-ES_en-NZ.sdltm
Copyright :
Description :
ExpirationDate :
Create character-based indexes: no
Recognize acronyms : no
Recognize dates : yes
Recognize measurements : yes
Recognize numbers : yes
Recognize times : yes
Recognize variables : no
Language pairs :
: es-ES -> en-NZ
Language resources :
es-ES : (Default Language Resources)
Fields :
: Status (MultiplePicklist: New,Approved,Read Only,)
: Text Field (MultipleString)
Creation completed (18/06/2013 1:47:33 p.m.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Import 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw' into 'C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Translation Memories' (18/06/2013 1:47:33 p.m.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Import as plain text: False
Translation units : -1
Import failed (18/06/2013 1:47:39 p.m.)
System.Exception: The language pair of the import file [es-ES->en-GB] does not match the language pair of the Translation Memory [es-ES->en-NZ]
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.CheckLanguageDirections(CultureInfo sourceLang, CultureInfo targetLang)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.ImportTranslationUnit(TranslationUnit translationUnit, ImportStatistics stats)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.ImportTMXFile(TMXReader reader)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.ImportTMXFile(String fileName)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.Import(String fileName)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryMigrationApi.Implementation.OutputTranslationMemory.Import(IInputLanguageDirectionData inputLanguageDirection, EventHandler`1 progressEventHandler)
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryMigration.UI.InputLanguagePairImportJobRequest.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Translation memory upgrade finished (18/06/2013 1:47:41 p.m.)

Create translation memory Spanish Pharmaceutical_es-ES_en-GB (18/06/2013 1:47:41 p.m.)

TM location : C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical_es-ES_en-GB.sdltm
Copyright :
Description :
ExpirationDate :
Language pairs :
: es-ES -> en-GB
Language resources :
Fields :
Creation completed (18/06/2013 1:47:41 p.m.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Import 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw' into 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT' (18/06/2013 1:47:41 p.m.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Import failed (18/06/2013 1:47:41 p.m.)
System.Exception: The language pair of the import file [es-ES->en-NZ] does not match the language pair of the Translation Memory [es-ES->en-GB]
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.CheckLanguageDirections(CultureInfo sourceLang, CultureInfo targetLang)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.ImportTranslationUnit(TranslationUnit translationUnit, ImportStatistics stats)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.ImportTMXFile(TMXReader reader)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.ImportTMXFile(String fileName)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryApi.TranslationMemoryImporter.Import(String fileName)
at Sdl.LanguagePlatform.TranslationMemoryMigrationApi.Implementation.OutputTranslationMemory.Import(IInputLanguageDirectionData inputLanguageDirection, EventHandler`1 progressEventHandler)
at Sdl.TranslationStudio.TranslationMemoryMigration.UI.InputLanguagePairImportJobRequest.Execute(IJobExecutionContext context)

Translation memory upgrade finished (18/06/2013 1:47:41 p.m.)

Translation memory upgrade started (18/06/2013 1:48:03 p.m.)

Working folder: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Upgrade Translation Memories\Upgrade 2013-06-18 13-46-17

Import 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw' into 'C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Translation Memories' (18/06/2013 1:48:03 p.m.)

Import failed (18/06/2013 1:48:03 p.m.)
System.Exception: The language pair of the import file [es-ES->en-GB] does not match the language pair of the Translation Memory [es-ES->en-NZ]

Translation memory upgrade finished (18/06/2013 1:48:03 p.m.)

Import 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw' into 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT' (18/06/2013 1:48:03 p.m.)

Import failed (18/06/2013 1:48:03 p.m.)
System.Exception: The language pair of the import file [es-ES->en-NZ] does not match the language pair of the Translation Memory [es-ES->en-GB]

Translation memory upgrade finished (18/06/2013 1:48:03 p.m.)

Translation memory upgrade started (18/06/2013 1:48:08 p.m.)

Import 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw' into 'C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Translation Memories' (18/06/2013 1:48:08 p.m.)

Import failed (18/06/2013 1:48:08 p.m.)

Translation memory upgrade finished (18/06/2013 1:48:08 p.m.)

Import 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw' into 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT' (18/06/2013 1:48:08 p.m.)

Import failed (18/06/2013 1:48:08 p.m.)

Translation memory upgrade finished (18/06/2013 1:48:08 p.m.)

Translation memory upgrade started (18/06/2013 2:18:12 p.m.)

Working folder: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Upgrade Translation Memories\Upgrade 2013-06-18 14-15-11

Export C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw (18/06/2013 2:18:12 p.m.)

Input TM : C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw
Target TMX file : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Upgrade Translation Memories\Upgrade 2013-06-18 14-15-11\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmx
Translation units: 532
Export completed (18/06/2013 2:18:17 p.m.)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Create translation memory es-ES_en-NZ (18/06/2013 2:18:17 p.m.)

TM location : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Translation Memories\es-ES_en-NZ.sdltm
Copyright :
Description :
ExpirationDate :
Language pairs :
: es-ES -> en-NZ
Language resources :
Fields :
Creation completed (18/06/2013 2:18:17 p.m.)

Import 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw' into 'C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Translation Memories' (18/06/2013 2:18:17 p.m.)

Import failed (18/06/2013 2:18:17 p.m.)

Translation memory upgrade finished (18/06/2013 2:18:17 p.m.)

Create translation memory es-ES_en-GB (18/06/2013 2:18:17 p.m.)

TM location : C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Translation Memories\es-ES_en-GB.sdltm
Copyright :
Description :
ExpirationDate :
Language pairs :
: es-ES -> en-GB
Language resources :
Fields :
Creation completed (18/06/2013 2:18:18 p.m.)

Import 'C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T65_FL\TT\Spanish Pharmaceutical.tmw' into 'C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\Studio 2011\Translation Memories' (18/06/2013 2:18:18 p.m.)

Import failed (18/06/2013 2:18:18 p.m.)

Translation memory upgrade finished (18/06/2013 2:18:18 p.m.)

[Edited at 2013-06-18 02:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade to Studio SP2: Error when importing EN-GB TM to EN-US TM

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search