Neil Ashby
Spain
Local time: 10:54
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2012

Hi all,

I upgraded to SP2 last week. This week was the first time I used and as it was reading the source files and pre-translating etc. I got the same error message for every single file, something along the lines of "cannot open source file (Word.doc) becuase tracking changes are active".
Ho - hum no major problem just had to open all 21 files and turn off tracking changes and then save them again, and restart the pre-translation....it worked.
However, I did laugh out loud with great irony when this afternoon I received a publicity email from ProZ promoting SDL's Trados 2011 with the all new flashing lights of SP2. "....open Microsoft Word documents with active tracked changes in the source..." it claims.....

Ha ha ha ha SDL do it again.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Just read the manual to make sure you are doing everything correctly Jul 24, 2012

Dr Neil Ashby wrote:
"cannot open source file (Word.doc) becuase tracking changes are active".

Your files need to be in the DOCX format - this is clearly written in the manual:

Studio only supports working with tracked changes in the source for Microsoft Word 2007-2010 documents (.docx). To view source tracked changes in Studio, change the Track changes extraction mode setting to Display pending changes in the file type settings for Word 2007-2010 Settings.

Dr Neil Ashby wrote:

Just one more user ignored reading the manual...

[Edited at 2012-07-24 19:43 GMT]

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Like It Jul 24, 2012

Known as RTFM

Bernard

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No reason to laugh really Jul 25, 2012

Dr Neil Ashby wrote:
However, I did laugh out loud with great irony when this afternoon I received a publicity email from ProZ promoting SDL's Trados 2011 with the all new flashing lights of SP2. "....open Microsoft Word documents with active tracked changes in the source..." it claims.....

This feature concerns the possibility not only to translate documents containing tracked changes, but to translate the tracked changes inside the documents so they appear as tracked changes in the translated document too. It is a feature intended for regulated environments, such as many applications in the pharma industry. Thus, no real reason to LOL.

[Upraveno: 2012-07-25 00:28 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Just add some clarification to this Jul 25, 2012

Dr Neil Ashby wrote:

.... I got the same error message for every single file, something along the lines of "cannot open source file (Word.doc) becuase tracking changes are active".

Hi Neil,

As mentioned this is a feature only supported for docx. The options for this are on the filetype here:

So there are three options depending on how you wish to handle the files. So if you really want to be able to handle the track changes in the documents by translating the changes and sending the target file back to your client with the changes still marked as tracked changes, but translated, then you would need to save the files as docx first.

Regards

Paul

Neil Ashby
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help all Jul 25, 2012

@ Natalie,

Thank you for pointing out my ignorance due to laziness. When I spend 100's of euros on software I like it to work for me, not the other way round....I'm too busy translating to read the whole manual

A question: If the moderator is involved in the forum, who moderates what the moderator writes?

@ Bernard

I wonder what the 'F' may stand for? 'Fat'? Fabulous? Fluidly-written? Fascinating?

@ SDL

Thank you, from your screen-shot I can see that with a couple of changes it would be simple to preserve the track changes (as long as nothing is lost whilst changing from 2003 to 2007 and back to 2003 for delivery to the client).

@ Stanislav,

You make a very good point. I translate a lot of SmPCs and PILs, and it's true it may be a very useful function in such cases....

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Software is never intelligent Jul 25, 2012

When I spend 100's of euros on software I like it to work for me, not the other way round....I'm too busy translating to read the whole manual

Neil, if you buy any other complex software, you will have to read at least the basics to perform the basic tasks. I'm not talking about Microsoft Office, but about e.g. Adobe products. Sure, you can do some things without reading the manual there, but if you want to perform some more complicated tasks, such as working with DITA XML or automating documents, you will have to read something about those features.

Anyway, you don't have to read the whole manual: just press F1 and search for a keyword, which would be in your case "tracked changes".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 SP2 --> New features, unfortunately for me they don't work

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search