https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229606-problem_with_japanese_style_name_in_word.html

Problem with Japanese style name in Word
Thread poster: leekmg
leekmg
leekmg
Local time: 23:42
Jul 25, 2012

Hi,

When I select Open/Get Translation for a Japanese to English segment in Word, whose style is named in Japanese, a new style which is the same as the latter style will be added but the style name shown in the Word menu at the top is displayed as question marks. Is there a way to preserve the Japanese style names?

... See more
Hi,

When I select Open/Get Translation for a Japanese to English segment in Word, whose style is named in Japanese, a new style which is the same as the latter style will be added but the style name shown in the Word menu at the top is displayed as question marks. Is there a way to preserve the Japanese style names?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks for reading.

Best Regards

Environment:
Windows XP Pro SP3
Trados 2007
Word 2000
Collapse

Matthew Olson
Matthew Olson
Japan
Local time: 00:42
Japanese to English
Maybe this idea will help, maybe not Jul 26, 2012

Hi there.

I've never used Trados, but since no one else has answered, perhaps my hunch will help. I'm guessing your operating system is set to English. My hunch is that either those Japanese style names are stored using some format other than Unicode or that Trados 2007 is simply incapable, for some reason, of displaying them. If you set your OS to Japanese or at least your location to Japan, that may fix the problem (at the cost of changing the operating language and/or location in
... See more
Hi there.

I've never used Trados, but since no one else has answered, perhaps my hunch will help. I'm guessing your operating system is set to English. My hunch is that either those Japanese style names are stored using some format other than Unicode or that Trados 2007 is simply incapable, for some reason, of displaying them. If you set your OS to Japanese or at least your location to Japan, that may fix the problem (at the cost of changing the operating language and/or location in order to solve a small problem). I run into a similar problem on occasion when attempting to open zipped files with Japanese file names when the location of my OS (Windows 7, in this case) is set to the United States - opening up the files with my un-zipper, all the file names get garbled, but by switching my location to Japan and un-zipping the files again, suddenly they're all properly displayed in Japanese.

The above is probably a long shot, but, again, since no one else has replied yet, I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

Good luck!
Collapse

leekmg
leekmg
Local time: 23:42
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't solve the problem Jul 26, 2012

Matthew Olson wrote:

Hi there.

I've never used Trados, but since no one else has answered, perhaps my hunch will help. I'm guessing your operating system is set to English. My hunch is that either those Japanese style names are stored using some format other than Unicode or that Trados 2007 is simply incapable, for some reason, of displaying them. If you set your OS to Japanese or at least your location to Japan, that may fix the problem (at the cost of changing the operating language and/or location in order to solve a small problem). I run into a similar problem on occasion when attempting to open zipped files with Japanese file names when the location of my OS (Windows 7, in this case) is set to the United States - opening up the files with my un-zipper, all the file names get garbled, but by switching my location to Japan and un-zipping the files again, suddenly they're all properly displayed in Japanese.

The above is probably a long shot, but, again, since no one else has replied yet, I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

Good luck!

Matthew,

I have set the locale of my OS and the default editing language of Word to Japanese but it didn't help. When I click the drop-down menu of Style, I can see in the list the original style with the Japanese name displayed correctly below the newly created one with the question marks. Nevertheless, thanks for your input.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Japanese style name in Word

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »