Handling excel files converted into word bilingual files with TagEditor or Studio - help needed
Thread poster: Luca Cremonini

Luca Cremonini  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:53
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 26, 2012

hello I am working for an agency which provides me with excel files. These files have a source and a target column. Sometimes the target column contains a translation, sometimes not. My employer asks me to covert these excel files into bilingual word files following the following procedure:

search and replace ^t with
search and replace ^p with

what you get is a bilingual file that can be translated with trados workbench but there is no way of working upon it with TagEditor or Studio. This really slows down work. Usually I get an error like "heading is missing" when trying to convert. Do you know how I could convert these files into a format that TagEditor or Studio recognizes?

Thanks in advance

Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
Similar problem Jul 26, 2012

I have a similar problem, although I am using Wordfast Classic, which is nominally able to translate directly from within excel. However, for various reasons this doesn't work too well for me, so I have adopted an alternative workflow:

1) Select and copy the required cells from the XLS (note: if there are any mlerged cells, you will need to un-lerge these first!)

2) Paste this into a new Word DOC (tip: get the page setup right first!)

3) Perform the search-&-replace (as described) to replace manual line breaks

4) Translate using your favourite CAT tool

5) If necessary, select all and copy back into place in the XLS.

Note that if you have two columns to start with, I usually just delete the 'empty' (target language column) as the CAT tool will simply translate the source column, and it is then easy enough after translation to re-copy just the original source column back alongside the new target column.

If your target column is not empty, but has occasional entries, it's a bit more of a pain! Depending on the exact number of entries, I would be tempted (if there aren't too many) to simply re-copy the original empty target column after your translation alongside the new target column, and copy across the existing translations; a more elegant way would be to get those into your TM before you start! You could create a pre-translate document by using the XLS functions to select ONLY those rows in your columns containing an existing translation, then copy into a DOC and align to create a preliminary TM before you start the main translation.

[Edited at 2012-07-26 08:26 GMT]

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Easy Jul 26, 2012

luca_cremonini wrote:

hello I am working for an agency which provides me with excel files. These files have a source and a target column. Sometimes the target column contains a translation, sometimes not. My employer asks me to covert these excel files into bilingual word files following the following procedure:

search and replace ^t with
search and replace ^p with

what you get is a bilingual file that can be translated with trados workbench but there is no way of working upon it with TagEditor or Studio. This really slows down work. Usually I get an error like "heading is missing" when trying to convert. Do you know how I could convert these files into a format that TagEditor or Studio recognizes?

Thanks in advance

If you only have text and no formatting, then the easiest way is to import the file as a tab separated or comma separated text file. I tend to use tab separated.
- Save as a tab separated file: open Notepad, copy-paste both columns and save.
- Open the txt file with Studio as a tab separated text file (pick the relevant entry from the dropdown list in the "Open as" window.
- Translate as usual. Preexisting translations will show up automatically on the target side. You can update your TM when you start work to import them all into your TM.
- Generate the target txt file, then copy-paste it back to Excel, Word or whatever the client desires.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling excel files converted into word bilingual files with TagEditor or Studio - help needed

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search