Thread poster: Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Jul 26, 2012

Dear Sdl I have a question, there are offers in the session exchange for studio 2009, 2011 etc, and I am interested but my problem is: is it really possible to sell a licence?

Thanks for your reply

[Edited at 2012-07-27 08:07 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:26
Finnish to French
I don't think you can Jul 27, 2012

Angie Garbarino wrote:
Dear Sdl I have a question, there are offers in the session exchange for studio 2009, 2011 etc, and I am interested but my problem is: is it really possible to sell a licence?

Here are some excerpts from the License Terms (the underlined bits are by me):

1. Installation and Use Rights
In consideration of you agreeing to abide by these terms and for payment in full of the license fee, SDL grants to you with effect from the date of installation by you of the software a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the software on these terms

5. Scope of License
This software is licensed, not sold. Any use of the software except as expressly permitted by this agreement requires the prior written consent of SDL in its sole and absolute discretion. SDL reserves all rights not expressly granted to you in this agreement.

6. Ownership
SDL retains all right, title and interest in and to the software including all intellectual property rights therein. Therefore you may not use, copy or distribute the software without SDL's authorization, except that you may make one (1) copy of the software solely for backup or archival purposes. You may not copy the printed materials accompanying the software.

Based on the above, I'd say you can't resell a license, or at the very least you would have to ask SDL for the permission to do so.

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
German to English
New legal situation in EU Jul 27, 2012

On 3 July 2012, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) published a ruling that says that, as a general rule, a software manufacturer can't stop a licensee from reselling a software licence. Equally, the software manufacturer cannot prevent a third party from buying licences and reselling them. The original user must uninstall the software. This ECJ ruling extends the existing law allowing the resale of software on physical media such as CD-ROMs or DVDs to downloaded software.

Here's th
... See more
On 3 July 2012, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) published a ruling that says that, as a general rule, a software manufacturer can't stop a licensee from reselling a software licence. Equally, the software manufacturer cannot prevent a third party from buying licences and reselling them. The original user must uninstall the software. This ECJ ruling extends the existing law allowing the resale of software on physical media such as CD-ROMs or DVDs to downloaded software.

Here's the link:

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=124564&pageIndex\=0&doclang=EN&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=2562339

(you can switch to the other official EU languages on this page)

[link added]

[Edited at 2012-07-27 07:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-27 07:25 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Jul 27, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Based on the above, I'd say you can't resell a license, or at the very least you would have to ask SDL for the permission to do so.

I was interested in buying NOT selling, your information is much appreciated.

[Edited at 2012-07-27 09:41 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Robin Jul 27, 2012

Thanks for that very interesting bit of information Robin.

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'd need to know if it is possible to sell a license

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »