Is there a way to change the source language in a project or database ?
Thread poster: Pablo Dal Monte

Pablo Dal Monte
Local time: 06:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 27, 2012

Hello all

I am working in SDL TRADOS STUDIO 2011 on a project with a colleague who just sent me a .SDLXLIFF file.

Problem is she created the database with the wrong source language (English). I am trying to edit using my database (FRE-SPA). Is there any way around this?
Could she send me an export of her database that I can then import or something?
What is the right way of going about this?

Also, is there any way for her to correct the initial mistake of creating the database with the wrong source language?

Many thanks !

FarkasAndras
Local time: 06:28
English to Hungarian
+ ...
the what? Jul 28, 2012

It's a little difficult to decipher your post as you keep referring to something as "database", and this term doesn't exist in SDL's terminology. There are projects, translatable sdlxliff files, translation memories (.sdltm) and termbases (.sdltb).

So, what did she send you that has the wrong language setup? If it's a TM, you can export it to TMX, edit the language code in a text editor, create a new TM with the correct languages and import the fixed TMX. If it's an sdlxliff, I'm not sure. You could of course edit your own TM to fit the bad sdlxliff, but that's hardly ideal. You could edit the sdlxliff in a text editor, but that might be risky.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to change the source language in a project or database ?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search