Thread poster: matt robinson
matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:07
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Jul 28, 2012

Is there an easy way to produce a .txt TM in Studio 2009? Is there a long and complicated way?

Thanks in advance

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:07
Finnish to French
Use TMX Jul 29, 2012

Why would you want to export as .TXT? Use .TMX instead, it will work just as well on the other end (which I assume is legacy Trados).

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Client request Jul 29, 2012

They have requested that format

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:07
Finnish to French
Even SDL recommends TMX Jul 29, 2012

matt robinson wrote:
They have requested that format

This probably indicates they are using legacy Trados (eg. SDL Trados 2007). Even SDL Support recommands TMX as the way to exchange a TM between Studio and the old Trados:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/222035-how_to_convert_tm_of_trados_studio_2009_into_trados_7.html

I seem to remember SDL had a utility for handling Trados TXT memories (not sure whether it was for conversions to or from that format), but I couldn't locate it. The easiest way to produce such a TM would be with Trados 2007. If you have no access to it, you're out of luck. It's a waste of time IMO, as TMX would do exactly the same for your client, even if they requested something else.

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 29, 2012

Thanks Dominique. I have access to 2007 so it is an option if they insist.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.txt TM from sdlxliff in studio 2009

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »