how to reactivate SDL Trados Studio using "force return" when "max extra acts exceeded"
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:18
English to German
+ ...
Jul 28, 2012

Hi,

I am trying to reactivate the product I bought in 2009 but it gives me the following message:

The activation of the fulfillment is denied by the activation policy because max extra acts exceeded # 8035-7332428 (Error code 50040)
You can imagine how I feel after getting that message!

I only downloaded SDL Trados Studio 2007/2009 to my 2 computers that I bought about 2 years ago. I never downloaded the product to any other computers.
I need to download and reactivate the product again because I restored my computers to their factory condition - which means I have to re-install the software on both these laptops.

I have downloaded and used SDL Trados only a few times since I bought it.
I contacted SDL Trados through their main contact page but I don't expect a quick reply - which is needed.

Add-on:

Solution

Thanks to Lorenzo's quick information, I was able to reactivate the software on one of my computers using a command in my SDL account (within the license(s) window) that is called "force return".
Go to the licenses window and follow the link "Return Licenses". If you have used up all your activations, meaning "the number of maximum extra activations has been exceeded", you will see a message saying "if you cannot activate or reactivate due to accidental reformatting or purchase of a new computer" you may try to "force return" and free up one activation code that way.
That's what I did and one activation code was freed up within a minute or two. I will wait to hear from SDL about what to do for my second computer and then update the thread.

B

[Edited at 2012-07-29 19:51 GMT]

Lorenzo Bermejo
Local time: 00:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
did you deactivate the software before reinstalling? Jul 28, 2012

did you deactivate the software before reinstalling?
or hadn't you activated at all during the last two years?

Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 should be deactivated before uninstalling them.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Videos Jul 28, 2012

Hi Bernhard,

Please refer to the sticky thread http://www.proz.com/topic/192416 with the videos.

Please login to your profile at the SDL website and check how many copies of the software are activated.

Natalia

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
did not deactivate Jul 28, 2012

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

did you deactivate the software before reinstalling?
or hadn't you activated at all during the last two years?

Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 should be deactivated before uninstalling them.

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for pointing out the possible problem.

I did not deactivate the software.
I simply restored the computers to their initial factory condition. I then reinstalled all my software (incl. Microsoft Suite) but had held off reinstalling Trados until today because I didn't need it.

So what you are saying is if I had deactivated it (following the directions in my account) I wouldn't have the problem I am having now?! Unfortunately, that option is not available to me after reformatting my computers.

Update: see Solution at top of thread

Bernhard

[Edited at 2012-07-29 16:32 GMT]

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no videos needed Jul 28, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Hi Bernhard,

Please refer to the sticky thread http://www.proz.com/topic/192416 with the videos.

Please login to your profile at the SDL website and check how many copies of the software are activated.

Natalia

Hi Natalie,

Thank you. But I believe Lorenzo explained the problem.

What I need is a SDL Trados rep to reset my activation right.
I will have to wait for them to respond. I don't think watching any videos will help me.
From now on I guess I have to first deactivate before I try to reinstall.
But the fact is I paid lots of money and I have a right to use the products I bought.

Maybe there could be a ready-made solution for such cases.

Update: There is a solution available. You don't need a rep to free up one activation code for each license. See Solution at top of thread

B

[Edited at 2012-07-29 20:25 GMT]

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
videos are helpful in other cases Jul 28, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Hi Bernhard,

Natalia

Hi Natalie,

I checked out the video about returning licenses. Because I basically reformatted my computers before attempting to reactivate, that option is not available to me.
In the future I'll be sure to follow the guidelines.

Update: see Solution at top of thread

B

[Edited at 2012-07-29 16:33 GMT]

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
how to solve the problem Jul 29, 2012

hi Bernhard,
I've read about the same problem you encountered in other threads.

what you should do now is get your licence codes reset.

what SDL Support says in those other threads I've read is that you should go to the SDL On-Line Help and check out the Licensing Issues. at the end of the query procedure, you should get to a form that you should fill in to get your licence codes reset.

good luck! don't worry!

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
another remark Jul 29, 2012

Bernhard, before reinstalling and activating Studio 2009, download from My Downloads of your My Account area, Studio 2009 SP3. (if you've got a SP1 or SP2 version.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to reactivate SDL Trados Studio using "force return" when "max extra acts exceeded"

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search