https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229862-how_to_add_a_translated_excel_file_into_a_sdl_tm.html

How to add a translated Excel file into a SDL TM?
Thread poster: pjg111
pjg111
pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
English to French
Jul 29, 2012

Hi,

I'm having an Excel file which has been translated outside of SDL TM.
I would like to add it to my existing SDL TM.
When I import it into Trados Studio 2011, each cell is a different segment. In other words, there is no alignment.

Can someone give me a sound advice about how to do?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers.

PG

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Use WinAlign, Jul 29, 2012

part of Trados 2007.

Start -> All programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> Trados -> WinAlign.

A.

Tntranslations
Tntranslations
Local time: 13:57
Probably no need to align Jul 30, 2012

Edit: Never mind, just realized that your problem is probably exactly the coarse alignment. You might want to try the SDLX Align application as well, I seem to recall it's easier to use than WinAlign.

The Excel data is already aligned (although the alignment might be too coarse), so alignment is probably unnecessary. There's a faster way to import the Excel TM, but it's a bit convoluted. As you have Studio, you should also have SDLX. In SDLX there's a Maintain application, which can
... See more
Edit: Never mind, just realized that your problem is probably exactly the coarse alignment. You might want to try the SDLX Align application as well, I seem to recall it's easier to use than WinAlign.

The Excel data is already aligned (although the alignment might be too coarse), so alignment is probably unnecessary. There's a faster way to import the Excel TM, but it's a bit convoluted. As you have Studio, you should also have SDLX. In SDLX there's a Maintain application, which can be used to import delimited files into a TM. This TM can then be converted to an itd file, which can be imported into the Studio TM. The steps are as follows:

1. Highlight the columns containing source and target translations in Excel (if the columns are not adjacent, hide the intervening columns. Press Ctrl-C.

2. Open Notepad, and copy the columns from Excel by pressing Ctrl-V.

3. Save the file in Notepad.

4. Open SDLX Maintain application and create a new TM.

5. Select TM-> Import -> Delimited Files option in SDLX Maintain.

6. Select Add -> Add Selection and select the file you saved in Notepad. Press OK.

7. Press Next and select languages and encodings.

8. Press Next and select Tabs as delimiters.

9. Press Next and move Source and Target items to the list on the right (in the order that the columns appear in the Excel file, i.e. if source is first, Source should be on top of the list).

10. Press Next and select either of the options.

11. Press Finish.

12. Select TM -> Export -> SDLX translation file (.itd).

13. Press Next twice.

14. Select the name of the exported file (adjust the amount of segments to be exported if the Excel file contains more lines than indicated).

15. Press Finish.

16. Move to Studio and select Translation Memories. Right-click on the TM you want to import the Excel translations into and select Import.

17. Select Add Files and then select the itd file you exported from SDLX maintain.

18. Select the Draft checkbox.

19. Select Finish, and the translations should be imported into the TM.

This is of course an insanely complicated way to do such a basic function, but SDL have for some reason removed the Import Delimited option from Studio.

-Tommi

[Edited at 2012-07-30 09:01 GMT]
Collapse

pjg111
pjg111  Identity Verified
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
WinAlign not necessary. Thanks, Tommi. Jul 30, 2012

Thanks Tommy for your time and detailed explanations that make sense.
I should have specified in my original query that I was in search of a more direct route than using WinAlign.

Cheers.

PG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add a translated Excel file into a SDL TM?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »