I can only see already translated text
Thread poster: Eric Lixey

Eric Lixey  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 31, 2012

I am new to Trados and I assume this is going to be a stupid question. I have the yearly subscription version and I loaded a word document that is about half translated using wordfast. Only the already translated part loads, and it loads perfectly with the target and source properly separated. How can I see the rest so I can translate what's not translated? I have been searching around but I can't seem to find an answer. Please help.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is the rest of the text segmented? Jul 31, 2012

I'm assuming you mean that you've loaded the file to Studio. When a partially bilingual file is opened in Studio, only the parts that are segmented will be visible. You would need to first process the file in Trados 2007 Workbench to segment the rest of the segments before they become visible in Studio.

See here how to handle bilingual files in Studio:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2012/07/handling-bilingual-unclean-word-files.html

[Edited at 2012-07-31 04:03 GMT]

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where do I get workbench? Jul 31, 2012

How can I get work bench? DO I need to buy trados 2007? I only have the starter edition for Trados.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not sure, but... Jul 31, 2012

If it was included in your purchase, you should be able to download it from My Account-Downloads in the SDL website, but it's not called Workbench, it's called Trados 2007.

I'm not sure about the limitations of the starter edition, but from the product comparison in the link below it looks like it may not be able to handle bilingual Word files:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/translator-products/sdl-trados-studio-starter/#tab2

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Jul 31, 2012

Thanks for the info on it not being segmented. The starter edition doesn't have workbench but I found another way in case anyone else reads this.

If in Word you open a segment to be translated and then you just hit F10 to leave the segment open you can shoot through the whole document "segmenting it". Then when you open it in Trados it all shows up.

Thanks for the help again!

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:45
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
F10? Jul 31, 2012

Eric Lixey wrote:

If in Word you open a segment to be translated and then you just hit F10 to leave the segment open you can shoot through the whole document "segmenting it".

It's great you've found a solution and are sharing it.

Can you give us a few more details? I don't quite understand what you mean about opening a segment (if you don't have Workbench installed) and also, what does F10 do in this context? (In my 2010 version of Word, F10 shows me the keyboard shortcut letters for each tab).

Thanks,
Emma

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In wordfast demo edition Jul 31, 2012

Sorry, I was talking about the free demo version of wordfast. While translating hitting F10 leaves the segment open to review it later. This way you can form blank segments for the whole document so they load in Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can only see already translated text

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search