Mercedes Sánchez-Marco  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:35
Member (2009)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 31, 2012

Hello!

I need some help with some Indesign files I don't know how to manage. I'm usually working with Trados 2009 and I've just installed Indesign CS6 in my computer, but I'm not an expert!.
I got some Indesign exchange format files (.idml) from my client, and I noticed Trados wouldn't let me translate them, I converted them into CS4, but still, I had the same problem. What shall I do?

Thank you for helping me.

Mercedes

Direct link Reply with quote

Lorenzo Cordini
English
Export IDCS4 to IDML Jul 31, 2012

Hi Mercedes,

you should export the *.indd files you created in CS4 to IDML to open them in Studio 2009.
Studio 2009 SP3 supports IDML files up to CS5.

Regards,

Lorenzo

Spain
Member (2009)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Export IDCS4 to IDML Jul 31, 2012

Thank you Lorenzo. I've done it, and the files are charged in Trados, but I cannot "open for translation".

What was wrong in the process? I did it twice, and cheked I saved them as CS4 instead of CS6 .idml, but it didn't work. Shall I try a different format?

Thank you!

Mercedes

Maria Folque  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:35
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Use Memo Q Jul 31, 2012

Dear Mercedes,

InDesign files are always a big problem. (Either with Trados or InDesign)

The last time I've worked with inx files I've used Memo Q (you can download it from MemoQ site)

It is the only CAT tool I know that does not give you problems with inx. files.

You just have to pay attention to tags.

Good luck!

Maria

Spain
Member (2009)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Maria Jul 31, 2012

Many thanks, Maria, I'm going to try with MemoQ.

Mercedes

Spain
Member (2009)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Converting IDML into ZIP files Jul 31, 2012

Before trying MemoQ, I've seen this:
" Keeping up with version changes in content applications can be quite a challenge for localization professionals. When InDesign CS5 was released it supported IDML but not INX (INX was the previous interchange format for InDesign). The good news is you can translate these IDML files using XML as the translation format for your tool, it may not be elegant, but with a few scripts it can be automated fairly well.

Lets walk through how it works using InDesign CS5.5, SDL WorldServer and your favorite zip application.

First, you need to have the document as an IDML file. Native InDesign (.indd) files are not generally used for localization projects, our initial task will be to open InDesign and Export an IDML version of the file, navigate to File > Export… and select InDesign Markup (IDML).

The resulting IDML file is a compressed archive containing a number of .xml files, our next task is to simply rename the exported file to .zip instead of .idml, and then open the zip file.

All the content of the InDesign file can be found in the Stories folder in XML format. All the text in the text frames of the source InDesign file will be present, 1 story flow = 1 xml file.

I’m going to pull these out and upload them to WorldServer and start a project with them. The even better news is that the default XML (NT) filter for WorldServer processes this XML without any changes to the filter or the XML. After these go through the translation process, the .xml files go back into the exported archive." by Ben Cornelius,

But the problem is that you just get few words in every file, and loose the sense of the whole translation. Also, the xml files' order is not necessary the same than in the .idml files....

I'll keep trying.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Compatibility? Jul 31, 2012

I could be wrong, but I think IMDL files may not be supported in Studio 2009. Have you tried using INX files instead? (You would need InDesign CS3 for that, I think).

Lorenzo Cordini
English
Both INX and IDML are supported Aug 1, 2012

Hello,

both INX and IDML are supported in Studio.
Studio 2009 SP3 supports IDML CS4-CS5 and Studio 2011 supports IDML CS4-CS6

I would not recommend to work with the INX format A) because it has proved to be a faulty format B) you may lose some CS4-CS6 features which are not supported in INX.

@Mercedes
you write "the files are charged in Trados, but I cannot "open for translation" but I am not sure I understand what actually happens. Once the files are imported / loaded into Studio, you cannot open them in the Studio editor?

Regards,

Lorenzo

[Edited at 2012-08-01 10:14 GMT]

Spain
Member (2009)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IDML Files loaded on Trados Studio Aug 1, 2012

Thank you again, Lorenzo.

I meant files were loaded after I converted them from CS6 into CS4. I cannot "open for translation" the files. I've downloaded MemoQ and it's working fine. But I'd rather use Trados as I usually do.

Thanks again for your help!

Mercedes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Indesign files

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search