Can I save a pdf-file as .docx document?
Thread poster: Lara Van der Zee

Lara Van der Zee  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:02
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 31, 2012

Hi,
I just downloaded the trial version of Trados Studio because I thought Trados is able to handle PDF-files well. Now my client has sent me a pdf-file as source, but wants it back as a clean MS-Word file, without any formatting, just the text. Does anyone know whether that is possible with Trados? And if so, how would I go about doing that?
I've tried first converting the pdf to a .docx file, but than the order of the text gets all mixed up.
I really appreciate any help.
Lara

Annelise Brincker  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
pdf-->docx Jul 31, 2012

You can try with Save source/targe as, but it is always difficult to do this, and if you cannot do it succesfully in Acrobat, I would not try it.

[Edited at 2012-07-31 14:42 GMT]

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:02
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That's actually Studio's output for a PDF file Jul 31, 2012

Hi Lara,

You can just open the PDF in Studio (no need for prior conversion) and translate it. When you're done translating, the target file that is created is a Word doc.

Studio does a decent job of handling the conversion, but if the PDF has some complex formatting or layout, don't expect your Word file to come out looking exactly like the PDF. There are usually some layout issues that need to be fixed manually in Word.

Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Remove formatting? Jul 31, 2012

Thank you for your swift replies.
Nora, the problem is that the client doesn't want the Word file to look like the original pdf. He wants a 'clean' text.
I was just wondering whether it is possible in Trados to remove all formatting from a source document and keep only the text?

Annelise Brincker  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Copy text Jul 31, 2012

Have you tried copying the text from the pdf-file in Acrobat with Ctrl-C and pasting it in Word with "paste special" --> "unformatted unicode text"?

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:02
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Studio has 3 options for PDF Jul 31, 2012

In Studio, go to Options - File Types - PDF - Converter

There you will see 3 options under Layout:

Flowing
Continuous
Exact

I think if you choose Continuous you will get something close to what you need.

Then under Image Recovery you can choose Remove Images, and so on.

Then just delete whatever you don't need from the target file in Word.

Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That worked! Jul 31, 2012

Thanks Tekst-Anne, that seems to work. And I learned something new in Word.icon_smile.gif
Now I see your reply, Nora, will try that too.

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Original format would be easier than PDF Jul 31, 2012

Lara,
Since your client needed the target text as a Word file, I guess that the original source text was created in Word.
In the future you may ask your client to send both: the original text file (pure text, no graphics) and the PDF.
You would directly use the text file (whether TXT, RTF, DOC or DOCX) as the input text to be translated - that's a smaller effort on your side. And you would avoid any potential conversion error. The PDF file (with graphics and all the layout) would be just a visual reference for you to better understand what you work on.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I save a pdf-file as .docx document?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search