Zuzana Slánská
Zuzana Slánská  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:40
English to Czech
+ ...
Jul 31, 2012

Hello everybody,

I have a notebook with Windows 8 Home Premium 64-bit and Office 2007. I have installed SDL Trados 2007 and MultiTerm 2007. I have loaded my TermBases and I can work with them in MultiTerm and in Trados but cannot load them to Word 2007 and to search in them indipendently of Trados running.

I have noticed that the Word screen contains only SDL Trados but not MultiTerm. For that reason I tried to add the MultiTerm7.dot to the Word templates - at the same
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have a notebook with Windows 8 Home Premium 64-bit and Office 2007. I have installed SDL Trados 2007 and MultiTerm 2007. I have loaded my TermBases and I can work with them in MultiTerm and in Trados but cannot load them to Word 2007 and to search in them indipendently of Trados running.

I have noticed that the Word screen contains only SDL Trados but not MultiTerm. For that reason I tried to add the MultiTerm7.dot to the Word templates - at the same place as TRADOS8.dotm. In that way I can see MultiTerm in Accessories in Word but when I try to choose (add) a TermBase there is the only one TermBase - a sample. There is no my TermBase in the list.

I would really appreciate any solution suggestion of this situation.

Thank you!

Zuzana
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Windows 7 or 8 Aug 1, 2012

Hi Zuzana,

What OS is installed on your laptop 7 or 8?
If you've installed Office 2007, you need the dotm file and not the dot file - is for earlier versions of Word (2003).
Copy dotm into you Word Startup folder - link below
... See more
Hi Zuzana,

What OS is installed on your laptop 7 or 8?
If you've installed Office 2007, you need the dotm file and not the dot file - is for earlier versions of Word (2003).
Copy dotm into you Word Startup folder - link below:

http://kb.sdl.com/kb/?ArticleId=3205&source=Article&c=12&cid=23#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:2109

HTH,

Bernard
Collapse

Zuzana Slánská
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 8 Aug 2, 2012

Hi Bernard,

Yes, you are surely right. I have Windows 8 and Trados template is .dotm but the only MultiTerm template I had, was .dot. Now I have downloaded the .dotm template thanks to your link.

(In fact, now I have found my MultiTerm.dotm too but is is in a completely different folder than MultiTerm.dot. And now I have discovered there was already a MultiTerm.dotm in the Startup folder but Trados.dotm is in the Startup folder translated into Czech. In fact there are
... See more
Hi Bernard,

Yes, you are surely right. I have Windows 8 and Trados template is .dotm but the only MultiTerm template I had, was .dot. Now I have downloaded the .dotm template thanks to your link.

(In fact, now I have found my MultiTerm.dotm too but is is in a completely different folder than MultiTerm.dot. And now I have discovered there was already a MultiTerm.dotm in the Startup folder but Trados.dotm is in the Startup folder translated into Czech. In fact there are 2 folders, I have already encountered this problem - maybe 15 years ago. They have not fixed it yet.:-( )

Now MultiTerm appears in the same place as SDL Trados in Word. That is OK.

I am afraid if I use Select TermBase and then Add TermBase only a sample appears and not my TermBases.

Thank you very much for now and I hope you or somebody else knows a solution of this problem too. THANK YOU!

Zuzana
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Error Message Aug 2, 2012

Hi Zuzana,

Are you getting any error messages when trying to open one of your TBs?

Could be linked to a number of issues, like *.dotm as read-only or not in the right folder, Visual Basic version - corrupt normal.dotm, you can delete it, gets recreated automatically when saving a Word file - dlls not registered properly (need to be Run As Administrator), Macro Security settings in Word, User Account settings on your system, one more idea if you've transferred the TBs fr
... See more
Hi Zuzana,

Are you getting any error messages when trying to open one of your TBs?

Could be linked to a number of issues, like *.dotm as read-only or not in the right folder, Visual Basic version - corrupt normal.dotm, you can delete it, gets recreated automatically when saving a Word file - dlls not registered properly (need to be Run As Administrator), Macro Security settings in Word, User Account settings on your system, one more idea if you've transferred the TBs from another PC/laptop, the file might be blocked, right-click on the TB and unblock and/or the macro you downloaded is corrupt, etc.

Just a few ideas as I don't know what your setup is.

Bernard

[Edited at 2012-08-02 19:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-02 19:53 GMT]
Collapse

Zuzana Slánská
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No error message - different extension for TermBases for Word 2007? Aug 2, 2012

Hi Bernard,

no, I have no error message.

It has this story: I had a PC with Windows XP and Word 2000 and I was working with SDL Trados 2006 and Multiterm 2007 for years.

Now I have a new notebook, in which I have installed Word 2007, SDL Trados 2007 and MultiTerm 2007. I have loaded my Normal.dot from my old PC as I really need it. It has been changed to Normal.dotm or Normal-2007.dotm. I do not know exactly as they are both among Templates. I cannot open a
... See more
Hi Bernard,

no, I have no error message.

It has this story: I had a PC with Windows XP and Word 2000 and I was working with SDL Trados 2006 and Multiterm 2007 for years.

Now I have a new notebook, in which I have installed Word 2007, SDL Trados 2007 and MultiTerm 2007. I have loaded my Normal.dot from my old PC as I really need it. It has been changed to Normal.dotm or Normal-2007.dotm. I do not know exactly as they are both among Templates. I cannot open any my TermBase from Normal.dotm either from Normal-2007.dotm, which I have now tried.

After the installation I opened MultiTerm and I loaded all my old TermBases used in PC as external TermBases. It means I created new TermBases from my old TermBases used in PC. I reorganized all TermBases and checked them they are not read-only. I also tried to make some editing. Everything was working.

I am the administrator of my notebook and I am signed-in.

Just some answers I am able to answer right now. Tomorrow I am leaving for 3 days and I have to prepare myself. I will come back to your ideas when I come back.

Just I was thinking about a possibility whether the TermBases with a MultiTerm.dotm in a wrong folder, were not created in a wrong folder, with a wrong MultiTerm template and consequently with wrong extensions. Do you know what extensions TermBases should have for Word 2007?

Yes, I think it is exactly this problem because now I tried to open MultiTerm and there is no my TermBase any more. Only a sample TermBase as in Word. It changed by the replacement of the template of MultiTerm.dot with MultiTerm.dotm in the correct folder.

When I come back I will try to load my TermBases again and I think it will be OK. Quite a hard work but I think it is a solution. Then I will look at the folder, in which the TermBases will be saved and with what extensions.

I think that all the problem was caused by the only stupid thing not solved for at least 15 years!! Two Startup folders - one in English and another one in Czech. And the Startup translated in Czech has to be used. Really incredible for me that I as the user have to solve this instead of programmers. And what's more - after 15 years again.

I will let you know whether I am right.

In each case thank you very much for every your effort. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Zuzana
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed Aug 2, 2012

Zuzana Slanska wrote:
I think that all the problem was caused by the only stupid thing not solved for at least 15 years!! Two Startup folders - one in English and another one in Czech. And the Startup translated in Czech has to be used. Really incredible for me that I as the user have to solve this instead of programmers. And what's more - after 15 years again.

This may indeed be a source of problems. Hard to tell whether this goes back to poor Microsoft programming, or poor localization. I have my reasons to believe that the latter is true.

Zuzana Slánská
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An error message regarding macro Aug 9, 2012

Hi all,
I came back home and I tried to fix MultiTerm by moving MultiTerm7.dotm in the right Startup folder - it means in the folder translated in Czech, in which already Trados8.dotm is.

The result is that Multiterm appears at the right place of the Word toolbar - next to SDL Trados

BUT:
opening Word an error message appears: "It is not possible to find a macro or it has been switched off by the security setting." and the Help says that the error can appear
... See more
Hi all,
I came back home and I tried to fix MultiTerm by moving MultiTerm7.dotm in the right Startup folder - it means in the folder translated in Czech, in which already Trados8.dotm is.

The result is that Multiterm appears at the right place of the Word toolbar - next to SDL Trados

BUT:
opening Word an error message appears: "It is not possible to find a macro or it has been switched off by the security setting." and the Help says that the error can appear in these cases:
- The macro has been removed from the Template.
- The template has not been read or it was not written in Templates and Accessories.
- The macro has been blocked by the macro security settings in the system.

I have enabled all macros in the security settings, then I also included the path with these two templates among the trustworthy locations. Both templates are among the Templates with the correct path. I have not removed a macro.
If I select SDL Trados from the toolbar - it is OK and it is working. If I select Multiterm from the toolbar, the error message appears again and it is very difficult to cancel it. The Multiterm panel appears but it evidently does not work properly - eg. for missing texts. The error message appears on opening every new or old document.
When I close the Word, the following error message appears: "Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found."

As I wrote before my loaded TermBases are not anymore in the MultiTerm. I tried to load one of my TermBases now. It has been loaded but nothing has changed in Word.

Now I really do not know what to do and I am quite despertate. It seems to me that it is worse and worse.

Thank for any suggestion that maybe can help!

Zuzana
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:40
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I haven't had this problem in a while, but... Aug 10, 2012

I used to have it and it was so annoying that I saved the instructions to solve it.

These are not my own steps, but borrowed from somewhere else, sorry I don't have the source. This is what worked for me:

1. Make first sure if the Termbase folder path is C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\SDL International\MultiTerm\Termbases\ and the "MTMaster.mdb" is placed in.
2. Copy this path
3. Open START --> Run..
4. Type in: regedi
... See more
I used to have it and it was so annoying that I saved the instructions to solve it.

These are not my own steps, but borrowed from somewhere else, sorry I don't have the source. This is what worked for me:

1. Make first sure if the Termbase folder path is C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\SDL International\MultiTerm\Termbases\ and the "MTMaster.mdb" is placed in.
2. Copy this path
3. Open START --> Run..
4. Type in: regedit
5. A window opens
6. Now goto: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> TRADOS --> MultiTerm --> ServerDataBaseInfo
7. At the right window you now must see:
(Standard)
TemplateFile
8. Double click on Location and a new window will open.
9. There you should be able to paste your copied path C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\SDL International\MultiTerm\Termbases\ to your MTMaster.mdb (Please don´t forget the backslash at the end of the path)
10. Close the Registration Editor
11. Now open Word again
12. When you click on select Termbase the window will open
13. Click on the "+"
14. Now you should be able to see your termbases
Collapse

Zuzana Slánská
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What Windows? Aug 11, 2012

Hi Nora,

Thank you very much! Nora, can you tell me what Windows version did you have when you had that problem? Was it Windows 7?

My path for the Termbases is different. In fact there is only a Microsoft folder in the C:\Users\(MY NAME)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\. There is no folder of SDL International.

C:\Users\(MY NAME)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\SDL International\MultiTerm\Termbases\MTMaster.mdb\ - Should there really be
... See more
Hi Nora,

Thank you very much! Nora, can you tell me what Windows version did you have when you had that problem? Was it Windows 7?

My path for the Termbases is different. In fact there is only a Microsoft folder in the C:\Users\(MY NAME)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\. There is no folder of SDL International.

C:\Users\(MY NAME)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\SDL International\MultiTerm\Termbases\MTMaster.mdb\ - Should there really be this backslash at the end?

There is no a function Run in Start in Windows 7 any more. But it is truth I have read somewhere how to recreate this function.

In the meantime (without any my step!) the Word behaviour has changed. There is no error message regarding a macro. If I select MultiTerm in the Word toolbar, it seems to be OK (there are texts) but if I choose Select Termbase an error message "The Microsoft Office Word has stopped to work. The Windows system can search a solution of this problem online and to exit the program." appears. If I choose the possibility "Search a solution online and exit the program", then search is running and then exits Word. Nothing else happens. On the next Word opening it is the same.
At the same time I have a problem in Trados as well. If I choose Multiterm7, an error message "Not a specified error 2147467259" appears.

I have tried to find something regarding this number and I came across some attempts of other desparete people. However it is from 2007. For example:

1. MultiTerm 7 in Word restored
A solution for the problem "Null" "No connection" in Word:
Go to
C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Trados\MultiTerm
and delete MultiTerm7dot.xml.

2. 2147467259 Multiterm unknown error (the same problem in Trados as me):
After deinstalling Multiterm and cancelling the MasterMT.mdb, things are working in Workbench, but not in Word.

What do you think of this? Should I try?

Thank you all for any suggestion!!
Collapse

Zuzana Slánská
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CONCLUSION - everything seems to be working! Aug 14, 2012

Hello everybody who tried to help me,

I am writing here a conclusion. For now everything seems to be working!!

In case Word does not recognize your TermBases or you have any other problem with the connection between Word and MultiTerm it is is very useful to uninstall MultiTerm and to delete the file MTMaster.mdb (I have deleted all 3 files I have found). Do not be afraid of that because it will be created again. Then instal MultiTerm again.
<
... See more
Hello everybody who tried to help me,

I am writing here a conclusion. For now everything seems to be working!!

In case Word does not recognize your TermBases or you have any other problem with the connection between Word and MultiTerm it is is very useful to uninstall MultiTerm and to delete the file MTMaster.mdb (I have deleted all 3 files I have found). Do not be afraid of that because it will be created again. Then instal MultiTerm again.

In case there are still problems deleate the MultiTerm7dot.xml ((your user name)\AppData\ Roaming\Trados\Multiterm). Again - do not be afraid to delete it - it will be created again upon opening Word but this time probably with the correct data.

This procedure helped in all my previous problems. I hope it helps to others too! Maybe this procedure can help with other problems with MultiTerm too. And I think it is harmless - it can be proved each time.

Zuzana
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I cannot load TermBases of MultiTerm 2007 in Word 2007

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »