No native support for SGML files in Studio 2011?
Thread poster: PapagenoX

PapagenoX
Local time: 11:31
Aug 1, 2012

Hello, my name is José and I'm one of those "rare as hen's teeth" internal translators at a major corporation. My supervisor and I have been getting Trados Studio 2011 up and running on her laptop as a trial run before taking the plunge and installing it on my machine. Getting our TM converted was fairly straightforward, our .ini files a bit less so (apparently they had to be "saved as" with UTF-8 encoding first).

Anyway, after all that, we find that opening .sgm files, which is our bread and butter here (all of the files in our Content@ database are in .sgm format) is NOT natively supported!? Seems a pretty major omission on the part of the salesperson to not tell my supervisor that before she sold her the upgrade.

So let me get this straight-- I have to keep Trados Workbench from 2007 installed on my machine and "prepare" .sgm files by converting them to .ttx files first, just so I have the honor and privilege of opening them in Studio 2011? Please tell me I can at least directly save .sgm target files.

What am I missing here? It seems like all we've paid for is to add a couple of previously unnecessary steps to our process.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:31
English
Just an update on this Aug 4, 2012

Hi José,

As we discussed yesterday you can do this by converting your ini to a Studio filetype, but based on HTML rather than XML. Hopefully you'll have some success with this now in opening your *.SGM files directly in Studio, but I didn't want to leave this thread open as we also discussed it here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229253-switching_to_studio_2011_what_to_be_aware_of-page2.html#1993180

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No native support for SGML files in Studio 2011?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search