No native support for SGML files in Studio 2011?
Thread poster: PapagenoX

PapagenoX
Local time: 09:53
Aug 1, 2012

Hello, my name is José and I'm one of those "rare as hen's teeth" internal translators at a major corporation. My supervisor and I have been getting Trados Studio 2011 up and running on her laptop as a trial run before taking the plunge and installing it on my machine. Getting our TM converted was fairly straightforward, our .ini files a bit less so (apparently they had to be "saved as" with UTF-8 encoding first).

Anyway, after all that, we find that opening .sgm files, which is our bread and butter here (all of the files in our Content@ database are in .sgm format) is NOT natively supported!? Seems a pretty major omission on the part of the salesperson to not tell my supervisor that before she sold her the upgrade.

So let me get this straight-- I have to keep Trados Workbench from 2007 installed on my machine and "prepare" .sgm files by converting them to .ttx files first, just so I have the honor and privilege of opening them in Studio 2011? Please tell me I can at least directly save .sgm target files.

What am I missing here? It seems like all we've paid for is to add a couple of previously unnecessary steps to our process.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:53
English
Just an update on this Aug 4, 2012

Hi José,

As we discussed yesterday you can do this by converting your ini to a Studio filetype, but based on HTML rather than XML. Hopefully you'll have some success with this now in opening your *.SGM files directly in Studio, but I didn't want to leave this thread open as we also discussed it here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/229253-switching_to_studio_2011_what_to_be_aware_of-page2.html#1993180

Regards

Paul

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No native support for SGML files in Studio 2011?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search