Studio 2011 - TM will not update
Thread poster: m_laura_suarez

m_laura_suarez
Argentina
Local time: 13:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2012

The Translation Memory Update feature is disabled. When checking the settings, "The fields cannot be edited because the TM is opened in the maintenance editor"... ¿? S.O.S., and thanks in advance.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:23
English
Close the TM... Aug 4, 2012

... in the TM Maintenance view. You do not need to have this open when you work... the TM can be viewed as you work through the TM Results pane in tbe Editor View.

Regards

Paul

m_laura_suarez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The TM Maintenance view is not opened. Aug 4, 2012

Thank you, Paul. It looks as if that was not the cause - my TM Maintenance view has not been opened.

United Kingdom
English
Tricky then... Aug 4, 2012

... but just to make sure we are both talking about the same thing. This is the error message I think you get:

I get this when I click on settings here:

And the reason I get this is because I have the same TM open in the Translation Memories maintenance view:

So if I close the TM in this view all is well.

Many apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here... but sometimes I find myself talking about one thing whilst the listener thinks I'm talking about something else..!

Regards

Paul

m_laura_suarez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That seems to be the root of the problem Aug 6, 2012

Yes, you are right, it comes from there. But would closing it mean to take it out from the TM tree at the upper left part of the screen? In that case, I think I wouldn't be working with that excluded TM anymore... and I indeed need to work with it.
Your explanations are crystal clear, Paul - and I really thank you.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just make sure it's added to your Project Aug 6, 2012

The TMs that you use for any given project are added via Project Settings, and not in the Translation Memories view.

An easy way to make sure your desired TMs are active is to go to the Editor view with one of your files open, click on Project Settings-Language Pairs-All Language Pairs-TranslationMemory and Automated Translation and look on the right-hand panel. If your TM is not listed, just add it by clicking the Add button.

United Kingdom
English
Common thought process of a long term Trados user..! Aug 6, 2012

Maria Laura Suarez wrote:
Yes, you are right, it comes from there. But would closing it mean to take it out from the TM tree at the upper left part of the screen? In that case, I think I wouldn't be working with that excluded TM anymore... and I indeed need to work with it.

Hi Maria,

I've seen quite a few users who are so used to Trados and a separate Translation Memory window (Workbench) that they look for the same approach in Studio. As Nora pointed out Studio is different and actually has an integrated Translation Memory view.

So the idea is that you open a document for translation, or create a Project, and you select the Translation Memory, or Memories, you want to use either through the Open Document dialogue window here:

Or if you create a Project when you get to this stage of the Project creation wizard:

If you forget at these points then as Nora says, you can also add the TM through the Project Settings dialogue afterwards.

The Translation Memories view is only for maintenance. So this is a feature the old Trados did not have, where you can carry out many maintenance functions on your TM if you wish, such as removing duplicates, creating smaller TMs from your Main TM to give to a customer based on dates, or field names etc. Things like this. You might never use this at all... so closing it, or removing it from the left hand menu will not delete it and will not affect your ability to use a Translation Memory in your work.

It would probably be worth reviewing the Quick Start Guides that are installed with Studio. You can find them in the windows start menu in the Studio program group, or through the Home screen in Studio here:

The first one on Translating and reviewing will be most useful to begin with, but they are all well worth a read to help you get the most from this product.

Regards

Paul

m_laura_suarez
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 7, 2012

Cristina,
I will check everything has been set upon your instructions and let you know soon.
Thank you very much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011 - TM will not update

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search