Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Copying tags in Studio 2011
Thread poster: Yasutomo Kanazawa

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Aug 8, 2012

Hello,

I'm presently working in Studio 2011, and I would like to know if there is a way to copy & paste tags in the source segment to target segment.

I know that this was possible in TagEditor, but I cannot find any way to do this in Studio.

Your input would be much appreciated.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emanuela Galdelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:55
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Sure you can do it Aug 8, 2012

Hi Yasotumo,

you simply have to do:

Control + Ins = Copy source to target

Alt + Shift + Ins = Copy all source to target


You can find the keys under: Translation.

Ciao from Rome,

Emanuela


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 8, 2012

Ciao Emanuela,

Thanks for the great tip! It works.

Ciao from Tokio,

Yasutomo


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
And how about copying single tags? Aug 8, 2012

I have had the same problem, when I had to use Studio. I looked through the list oft key combinations, but could not find an equivalent for copy first tag, move to next tag, move to previous tag (alt+cntrl+down, alt+cntrol+left, alt+cntrol+right, which are standard conmbinations in Tageditor, WFC and WFP).

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more question Aug 8, 2012

How do I copy and paste the tags in the correct (preferred) position into the target segment from the source?

When I try drag the tag(s) I want to copy, press "Format Paint" -> Copy Source Formatting, I can yes, paste the tag(s), it would be placed at the end of the sentence. How do I place this tag where I need it (ex. in the middle or at the beginning of the sentence) ?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:55
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Two ways to copy tags Aug 8, 2012

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

How do I copy and paste the tags in the correct (preferred) position into the target segment from the source?



Place the cursor in the desired place in the target segment and click Ctrl+comma. You'll get a drop-down list of all available tags (and placeables). Select the one you want with the arrow keys and click enter.

Another way to do it is to highlight the text you want to place within a tag pair in the target segment. Now move the mouse over to the source segment and press ctrl + left mouse click. the tag pair will be inserted around the highlighted text in the target.

HTH!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still doesn't work... :-( Aug 8, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

How do I copy and paste the tags in the correct (preferred) position into the target segment from the source?



Place the cursor in the desired place in the target segment and click Ctrl+comma. You'll get a drop-down list of all available tags (and placeables). Select the one you want with the arrow keys and click enter.

Another way to do it is to highlight the text you want to place within a tag pair in the target segment. Now move the mouse over to the source segment and press ctrl + left mouse click. the tag pair will be inserted around the highlighted text in the target.

HTH!


Hello Emma,

Thank you very much for the tips, but for the first option, no drop-down list is displayed.

As to the second option, no tag pair would be inserted around the highlighted text in the target.

Am I missing something?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Extra Consult
Belgium
Local time: 14:55
Member (2008)
English
Ctrl-click Aug 8, 2012

In Studio 2009, you can place tags in the target column by placing the cursor where you need to insert the tag, and then simply ctrl-leftclicking the tag in the source column.
No selecting or highlighting of text is required.

I'm guessing this would work for Studio 2011 as well.

Kind regards,
Geert

[Edited at 2012-08-08 13:56 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:55
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
F1 Aug 8, 2012

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Am I missing something?



Maybe my explanations haven't been clear enough. In that case, I think you're best off reading how to do it in the Help.

F1 (help)
Search for "inserting tags".


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:55
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You can choose your own shortcut Aug 8, 2012

Even though Ctrl+Comma is simple and straightforward, like Heinrich points out, I was so used to Ctrl+Alt+Down, that I set that shortcut by going to Tools>Options>Keyboard Shortcuts>Editor, then choosing QuickPlace from the right-hand menu.

To place tags in segments, it's like Emma has explained, place the cursor where you want your tag, then use your keyboard shortcut. All the tags in the segment are displayed and you can choose the one you want. If there are several, each time you press your shortcut, the next tag is displayed, and you can see it being highlighted on the source text.

If there are formatting tags, for example, bold, italic, rather than just placing the cursor in the position of the first tag, it's better to select the text the formatting will be applied to, then use the shortcut, this will place both the opening and closing tags around the appropriate text.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:55
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Which CAT tool are you using? Aug 8, 2012

When I try drag the tag(s) I want to copy, press "Format Paint" -> Copy Source Formatting, I can yes, paste the tag(s), it would be placed at the end of the sentence. How do I place this tag where I need it (ex. in the middle or at the beginning of the sentence) ?



By the way, after re-reading this part of your question, I'm wondering if you're really using Studio. "Format Paint" sounds like SDLX to me.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Edit Document Aug 8, 2012

Nora Diaz wrote:

When I try drag the tag(s) I want to copy, press "Format Paint" -> Copy Source Formatting, I can yes, paste the tag(s), it would be placed at the end of the sentence. How do I place this tag where I need it (ex. in the middle or at the beginning of the sentence) ?



By the way, after re-reading this part of your question, I'm wondering if you're really using Studio. "Format Paint" sounds like SDLX to me.


I'm working on a SDL Edit document (that's what the property says). It's an itd file. Sorry for my ignorance, but is this SDL or SDLX?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:55
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What are you using to translate your ITD file? Aug 8, 2012

An ITD file is an SDLX file, but it can also be processed in Studio.

The question is, are you using SDL Edit (SDLX) to translate it or are you using SDL Trados Studio? Look at the top left corner of your window to see what the program name is.

Also, if you have a menu called "Format Paint", that's SDLX, not Studio, and therefore the suggestions offered here would not work.

I would think SDLX opened the file if you double-clicked on it. Try opening Studio first, then opening your file from within Studio in order to translate your ITD file in Studio.

[Edited at 2012-08-08 17:26 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:55
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Aug 9, 2012

Nora Diaz wrote:

An ITD file is an SDLX file, but it can also be processed in Studio.

The question is, are you using SDL Edit (SDLX) to translate it or are you using SDL Trados Studio? Look at the top left corner of your window to see what the program name is.

Also, if you have a menu called "Format Paint", that's SDLX, not Studio, and therefore the suggestions offered here would not work.

I would think SDLX opened the file if you double-clicked on it. Try opening Studio first, then opening your file from within Studio in order to translate your ITD file in Studio.

[Edited at 2012-08-08 17:26 GMT]


Hello Nora,

Maybe you're right that I am working on a SDLX file, since it says SDL Edit at the top left corner when I open the file by double-clicking on it. And there's also the "Format Paint" feature. I'm so ashamed that I couldn't tell the difference between Studio and SDLX.

Would you be kind enough to give me some tips on how to copy and paste tags in the source to the target segment?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:55
Member (2010)
English to French
It's possible to work on ITD files from within Trados Studio 2011 Aug 9, 2012

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Nora Diaz wrote:

An ITD file is an SDLX file, but it can also be processed in Studio.

The question is, are you using SDL Edit (SDLX) to translate it or are you using SDL Trados Studio? Look at the top left corner of your window to see what the program name is.

Also, if you have a menu called "Format Paint", that's SDLX, not Studio, and therefore the suggestions offered here would not work.

I would think SDLX opened the file if you double-clicked on it. Try opening Studio first, then opening your file from within Studio in order to translate your ITD file in Studio.

[Edited at 2012-08-08 17:26 GMT]


Hello Nora,

Maybe you're right that I am working on a SDLX file, since it says SDL Edit at the top left corner when I open the file by double-clicking on it. And there's also the "Format Paint" feature. I'm so ashamed that I couldn't tell the difference between Studio and SDLX.

Would you be kind enough to give me some tips on how to copy and paste tags in the source to the target segment?



Hi Yasutomo,

You can quite well work on ITD files from within Trados Studio 2011. Hence you can use Trados Studio 2011 features to handle tags. ITD files can be smoothly exported from Trados Studio 2011. I can assure you it works very well. I often have large sets of ITD files to translate and check in to SDL servers and it works as a charm!

Now if you feel more comfortable using SDLX or SDL Edit, you can copy tags but only after entering Paint mode (Ctrl+F9). Check the online help for more details.

HTH.

Cheers.

Patrick


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copying tags in Studio 2011

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search