Trados compatible TM in a Mac
Thread poster: Jose Fernandez

Jose Fernandez
Spain
Local time: 03:45
English to Spanish
Aug 10, 2012

Hello everybody,

I have been using Trados 5.5 for years and years, without needing upgrading but now I am seriously thinking about switching from the PC world to the Mac. The only 2 things that kept me doing that in the past where the incompatibilities of Trados and Dragon Naturally Speaking with the Mac environment. But now I have realized that Mac allows to install a virtual machine inside iOS so that I could run Trados and Dragon there.

However, and this is my problem, what about the Trados dongle that is plugged into the PC? Yes, my old Trados version still had the dongle, we are getting back to remote ages here. I guessed Trados would not work in the virtual machine without the dongle, so I thought I should think about exploring other translation memory programmes compatible with Trados (so that I could use my giant TM memory with them) without incurring in the huge costs of upgrading Trados.

Anyone has been faced with this type of issue before?
What TM programme would you recommend for using the Trados TM in a virtual machine inside a Mac?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jose

Direct link Reply with quote

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
iOS or MacOSX? Aug 11, 2012

Your use of the word "iOS" is the only clue here that you're referring to an iPad. Are you?
iOS and MacOSX are not the same thing at all (although there's extensive overlapping functionality).

If you're referring to the iPad, and the dongle is a USB device, I'd check some USB-over-Wifi solutions (like http://www.globaledgesoft.com/usb-over-wi-fi/).
Non-Apple tablets usually have better connectivity, and a USB dongle would likely (but not necessarily) work. Does it have to be iOS?

If you're referring to Macs (MacOSX hardware) then I see no reason why a USB dongle shouldn't work using Parallels, which in my experience connects hardware devices to Windows transparently.

I've written a TMX translation memory viewer for MacOSX. Not full-featured CAT, but useful: www.jfbraun.com/xoterm . But this is for *Mac*, not for iOS devices.

[Bearbeitet am 2012-08-11 08:07 GMT]

Jose Fernandez
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I meant an iMAC Aug 12, 2012

Sorry Joakim, I´m new to the apple world. I meant an iMAC. You say that the dongle should work, but does the imac have an old parallel port for printers, like the one my old dongle uses? It is not USB.

In any case I´ll have a look at your links too, thanks.
Jose

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Parallel-to-USB adapter Aug 12, 2012

There are parallel-to-USB adapters around, too. You'll need to find one with a Mac driver. And of course it might not quite work...

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 09:45
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Go Mac all the way Aug 13, 2012

Jose, the latest OS for Mac, Mountain Lion, supports dictation, also for Spanish. It's said to be very good, so if you work in OS X, you don't have to worry about Dragon. It appears to be the same engine anyway.

Trados 5.5 is very old, and since it wasn't particularly good in it's days, it's very outdated now. There are several CAT tools that run natively on a Mac, including free ones. Most of them can handle legacy Trados files like TTX, and many more file formats. And all have much more to offer than Trados 5.5. For a list of CAT tools: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2184204/CAT%20Tools%20DEC%202010.pdf
Of the free CAT tools, OmegaT and Virtaal are quite popular. I use CafeTran, a feature-rich CAT tool that will set you back a mere €80: http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.com

If you still want to use Windows, you'll need a virtual machine. I tried Parallels and VirtualBox. The latter is free: http://www.virtualbox.org It works fine, it's a lot faster to start up, but Parallels seems to be better integrated in OS X. I suggest you try Virtualbox first.
Parallels and VMWare Fusion are the paid for VMs. The official price is USD 80, but quite often you can buy them in a USD 50 bundle with around 10 other apps for USD 50. Check out http://www.mupromo.com for offers regularly. A recent example: http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/06/get-11-great-mac-apps-for-49-99-with-the-macupdate-june-2012-bundle

Joakim already mentioned an adapter for the dongle. He also expressed doubts if it will work. I agree. You will have problems finding one, it will not come cheap probably, and it may not work. Yet another reason to forget about Windows and Trados altogether.

And finally, see to it that you buy plenty of RAM for your iMac. For OS X, the 4 GB that comes with it, is enough, but a VM will eat a few gigs, and some CAT tools - like CafeTran - use RAM to access databases/memories. That makes searching a lot faster than accessing them on an HDD, but if you use (very) large TMs, extra RAM is very useful. Don't buy that RAM when you order the iMac. I asked my dealer to add 8 GB (for a total of 12) to my iMac some time ago, and it only costed me USD 70, it's probably cheaper now.

Jose Fernandez
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Dragon&trados Aug 15, 2012

Thanks Meta for all that info. I had searchedthe web for info about dragon and similar softwares but had not found anithing convincing. I will sure check those links. I had also thought about the RAM and intend to install 8 mg minimum. I am told that a new iMac might be available soon, and perhaps it is worth waiting a bit. But I might go for it straightaway.
Thanks for your help.
Jose

Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Waiting? Aug 15, 2012

Jose Fernandez wrote:
I am told that a new iMac might be available soon, and perhaps it is worth waiting a bit.

Yes, the problem is, nobody knows when (in a couple of weeks or early 2013?), and what. I mean, will the update be incremental or revolutionary? Resolutionary even, if the new iMac comes with a retina display. There's no way to tell.

I was lucky. I had made up my mind, and sent my daughter (Meta, I'm Hans) to buy the 21.5" iMac. The new one. And I told her to ask the dealer for a discounted "old" model. They didn't have one, but they did have a 27" iMac. I ended up buying that one for a bit more than € 1,000. I wasn't much interested in the new processor, and that was the major update. But I did get 500 GB more HDD space compared to the 21.5" model, and that glorious, huge display.

Anyway, check http://buyersguide.macrumors.com for the latest rumours.

Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
External HDD Aug 15, 2012

Final tip: Buy an external HDD (same capacity of the internal one or more) together with your iMac, or before, because of Time Machine. Together with Spotlight, Time Machine is probably the best thing that happened to computers since sliced floppies.

Cheers,

Hans

Jose Fernandez
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Waiting Aug 16, 2012

Yes, I think I won't be able to wait much longer...I think I'll go for it now.
Regarding the external HD, I guess you use it for whole system back ups?

Many thanks for all the info, it has been very useful!
jose

Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The whole system plus versions Aug 16, 2012

Jose Fernandez wrote:
Regarding the external HD, I guess you use it for whole system back ups?

Yes, Jose, absolutely everything, including all versions of files, apps, and everything. That's why it's important to see to it you have an HDD ready from the minute you start up your iMac for the very first time. The first back-up will take some time, of course, and using Time Machine from the very beginning allows you to perform an automatic clean install later or on another Mac. After the first time, TM backs up everything every hour (default, takes seconds rather than minutes), so you'll have a hard time loosing important files. Incredibly important. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOwL8MuE_Y

Cheers,

Hans

Jose Fernandez
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Backups Aug 17, 2012

Fantastic!
Much easier than on a pc, where you have to reinstall all apps, programmes, data, etc. A real nightmare when you change the pc. This seems so much easier and safe!

Thanks for all the advice!
Jose

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados compatible TM in a Mac

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search