INI files in Trados 2011
Thread poster: Sarah Downing

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:24
German to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2012

Dear Trados experts,

I prefer to work with Trados 2011 because I find it faster and more efficient, but some of my customers still insist on using 2007.

My customer has sent me a Trados 2007 TM plus a bunch of TagEditor files for this one project. They’ve also sent me an INI file, which I’m supposed to import into the TM. I also have some XML files for the clean-up.

What I am wondering is this:
Can I just disregard the INI file and translate the TagEditor files in Studio 2011 because I know that the InDesign file types already exist in this program and was actually under the impression that the INI is only required for this purpose in 2007 and wouldn't really be required in 2011?

I know that I can easily translate TagEditor files in 2011, but I want to make sure that I'm not overlooking anything such as customer-specific settings as I'm not 100% sure what the purpose of the INI file is, other than to enable one to translate InDesign files in TagEditor when you don't actually have the InDesign program?

Either way, I'm going to have to convert the 2007 TM to a 2011 TM, so my other thought was to open it up, import the .ini file and then export it as a TMX. Would that be a viable solution?

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I'm short on time as it is and TagEditor always seems to slow me down, so I'm hoping very much that there is some way for me to translate the files in the program of my choice whilst still keeping the customer happy.

I'm pretty sure that I can't import the INI file in 2011, but on the other hand I'm not even sure whether this is that important.

Thanks in advance for your replies!:-).

Sarah

[Edited at 2012-08-13 16:25 GMT]

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:24
Member (2010)
English to French
INI File is to be specified as DTD, not imported to TM Aug 13, 2012

Hi Sarah,

The INI file is most likely to be specified as DTD for the ttx files. So in Tag Editor use Tools/Tag Settings/Open and browse to your INI file.

HTH.

Cheers.

Patrick

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but that's not my question ... Aug 13, 2012

Thanks, Patrick, but this doesn't really answer my question. I have instructions for "importing" the INI file into the TM or adding it to the TM or whatever you want to call it.

What I want to know is what to do with this INI file if I'd prefer to work in Trados 2011 rather than 2007. As I stated above, I do not want to work in TagEditor.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Member (2010)
English to French
INI File is to be specified as DTD, not imported to TM Aug 13, 2012

Hi Sarah,

Even you work in Trados Studio 2011 as I always do, you have to specify the INI file as DTD for the TagEditor files to work properly.
Now are you really sure your client instructed you to import INI file into your TM? That sounds very weird.

HTH.

Cheers.

Patrick

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved - it's basically as I suspected ... Aug 13, 2012

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for trying to help. I just found this post and it basically confirms what I suspected in the first place:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/177224-how_do_i_specify_an_ini_file_for_a_ttx_file_to_be_translated_in_sdl_trados_studio.html

If I open the TTX in TagEditor, incorporate the INI file and then open that TTX in Studio, I won't need to do anything else.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Member (2010)
English to French
Did you see that post in the same thread as Walter's? Aug 13, 2012

Dear Sarah,

I'm afraid Walter's post is not that relevant to your problem. Did you see the flwg post which was replying Walter's?

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/177224-how_do_i_specify_an_ini_file_for_a_ttx_file_to_be_translated_in_sdl_trados_studio.html#1557964

Use Tageditor first Aug 7, 2010

Hi,

I agree with Jerzy. All what you need to do is to open your TTX file in trados Tageditor using the .ini settings.
So, you need first to add the .ini file from tools > Tag settings, then open your TTX file and save it, and you can use this saved TTX file to translate in Studio with the same Tag settings that is in Tag editor.

Ahmed Maher

[Edited at 2010-08-07 10:54 GMT]

Member (2010)
English to French
DTD is critical and has nothing to do with TM Aug 13, 2012

Dear Sarah,

Let me revert to what may be an important issue that should be highlighted.

In your starting post you asked whether the INI file was important. The answer is definitely yes because it contains the DTD info. If you wonder what DTD is, you may look at the flwg wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_Type_Definition

DTD has nothing to do with Translation Memory. It has to do with documents' actual structure and any associated issue.

Whatever you work directly in TagEditor or handle ttx files using Trados Studio 2011, DTD has to be properly set in TagEditor's tag settings so Trados Studio 2011 can handle ttx files in a proper way. You have to open your customer's INI file from TagEditor's Tools/Tag Settings in order to set DTD even though you do not use TagEditor as your CAT tool.

I hope above is clear and helpful.

Cheers.

Patrick

[Edited at 2012-08-13 10:06 GMT]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still confused and going to call customer, but thank you for trying to help. Aug 13, 2012

Patrick,

Thank you for your explanation and for trying to help. Actually, it does seem that this INI has something to do with TM as I've been asked to "add" it to my TM - these are the specific instructions I've been given by my customer.

Thank you for your link. However, I am still extremely confused. I think that the link I posted is in fact very relevant to my problem. The thing is I have been given specific step-by-step instructions to insert the INI file in the TM:

Sie öffnen das TM, gehen auf OPTIONS, dann TRANSLATION MEMORY OPTIONS.
Darunter gehen Sie auf den Tab TOOLS und wählen dort wie im Screenshot TAG SETTINGS aus und suchen unter OPEN die INI Datei im Verzeichnis, wo Sie sie davor abgelegt hatten.

Either way, I'm going to call my customer to make sure.

Regards,

Sarah

[Edited at 2012-08-13 14:29 GMT]

Member (2010)
English to French
Aug 13, 2012

Hi Sarah,

I had a doubt further your quotation of their message.
They're right.
Actually you can get to the same result by doing the flwg:
In Trados Translator's Workbench (the application that manages the TM), click Tools tab, then click Tag Settings and click Open to "import" your INI files.

This is actually the same dialog box and action as the one in TagEditor .

By importing the INI file, you add a DTD file that could be used by the relevant ttx files.

To be completely honest, I'd completely forgotten about the availability of this option in TWB.

So I apologize for insisting on TE.

Cheers.

Patrick

[Edited at 2012-08-13 14:51 GMT]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think the customer's confusing anything ... Aug 13, 2012

Hi Patrick,

I tend to think that the customer knows what they are talking about as they have done this multiple times before.

However, I appreciate you trying to help, but the only way to make sure is to call the customer, which is what I just did. They will talk to their technical department and get back to me. I sent them the link I pasted in this post as I happen to think it sounds very relevant. We'll see what they say about this. I prefer to make 100% sure as I don't want them to have problems afterwards.

No need to apologise. You can't possibly remember everything.

Regards,

Sarah

Member (2010)
English to French
You're right Aug 13, 2012

Sarah,

I just edited my reply's heading after posting it.
Your customer is not confusing.
Both ways to add an INI file are valid and actually the same, whatever you do it using TWB or TE.
However I must stress that both ways have nothing to do with TM itself but with DTD.

You must understand that eventually things are done at Trados' level and not Trados Studio 2011's level as the latter is here only sort of hub which is able to handle a lot of various file formats using their own capabilities. For instance, try to double-click a Word file in the Files view (source language) and Trados Studio 2011 will open the file in Word (or whatever application associated to .doc files on your computer.)

Good luck!

Patrick

[Edited at 2012-08-13 15:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-13 15:02 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If your client asks you to use the ini file, use it. Aug 13, 2012

The .ini file modifies the settings of the ttx file, and if you don't use it you might be modifying tag and segmentation rules. Thus, you should link the .ini file with your translation job using Trados.

Regards

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you to both of you ... Aug 13, 2012

My client just talked to their technical department and they have told me that in this case I don't need to use the INI file when translating this particular project in Trados Studio, so that is what I will be doing. We'll be doing a test to make sure everything works fine, but I seem to remember doing this in the past without any problem whatsoever.

The reason for all this it seems is that the TTX was created in 2007 with the correct INI. Either way, the technical department sounds like they know their stuff.

So, I think I can pretty much close this thread.

Thanks to Patrick and Clarisa for your input!

Sarah

[Edited at 2012-08-13 16:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

INI files in Trados 2011

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search