Thread poster: Annette Skipper

Annette Skipper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:32
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 13, 2012

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to claim compensation from SDL? I have been forced to decline a total of 15,500 new words due to SDL's unwillingness to provide support in relation to SDL products?

And the really funny part is that the jobs - which I initially had accepted - came from SDL Denmark who was also unable to provide support for their own projects (their vendor manager even tried to get in contact with Support but was unsuccesful, too) - and my trial version of Studio 2009 was provided på SDL Denmark.... and an email to a sales person tiggered a kind reply but no help!

If this wasn't so frustrating and SDL almost monopolized the CAT tool market, this was almost hilarrioius!

Direct link Reply with quote

ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:32
English to Italian
Information Aug 13, 2012

Dear Annette,

I am from SDL, Language Technologies.
First I am really sorry to hear you are not happy with our software, and I have started an investigation on our end on your specific case.

In regards to the relationship with SDL Denmark, we operate as a separate division from Language Services.
I have passed your feedback to the services division and I hope they might help you further.

We currently offer a trial version for SDL Trados Studio 2011.
The version of the trial is currently unsupported.

Unfortunately we do not offer compensation for missed work. There are so many circumstances out of our control which can influence the use of our software or its installation on individual PCs and therefore we can not be held accountable for compensation on missed work. However we do try and get people back up and running when there is an installation issue as quickly as possible through our support portal.

I have posted on a separate post some advice on how to get installation and licensing support even without a Support contract, which I hope might help you.

Regards
Massimo

Annette Skipper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:32
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 13, 2012

Dear Massimo,

Thanks for your reply and info about the Studio 2011 trial version. I am aware of this fact, though, as I have been offered this trial version by SDL Denmark. I have been hesitant to invest in Studio 2011, however, as I have heard many frustrating stories about licensing issued when you upgrade from one version of SDL CAT tool to another, in combination with the fact that it can be vary difficult to locate to correct support site.

My current frustration, however, is based on two other facts: the failure by SDL to provide support for the Studio 2009 trial version I had obtained via SDL Denmark when I became an SDL freelancer a few months back. It was in this connection, the vendor manager tried to help but also have to give up as I could not activate the 90 days license I'd been given as a new Freelancer. This caused me to have to decline a 11,000 new words jobs during my first week - can you imagine my frustration?

The second fact is me having to decline another 4,500 hundred words in SDLX today as I can no longer access the SDLX Edit feature after I uninstalled the inactive Studio 2009 trial version last week. I tried to find the proper suppport form at your website but this is very difficult to locate - I kept coming back to the main Support Site - I even wrote a sales person just to get some contact with SDL. Might I in this connection suggest that you make it a little easier to locate the proper support page at the Solution Finder site? I had to ask in here, and someone gave me this link: http://kb.sdl.com - which was helpful (although I missed the correct version of my own software in the first instance!!).

I understand that I cannot claim compensation - it was merely my (infantile) attempt to catch the attention of an SDL support person... and I did I have filed a support ticket and hope that I will be able to accept jobs from SDL Denmark again during the following couple of days.

KR Annette

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compensation from Lost Work

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search