SDL Trados Studio 2011 Starter: apostrophe style change/inserting symbol using keyboard shortcut
Thread poster: Allison Wright

Allison Wright  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:21
German to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2012

An agency client has annoying insisted that it wishes all its translators to use the right single quotation mark (curly one) as the apostrophe in all target documents for a particular client of theirs.
This corresponds to the ASCII Alt+146.

My problem: I use a laptop. Compaq, which has, as far as I can tell, a "Standard 101/102 Keyborad or Mictrofsoft natural PS/2 Keboard with HP QLB.

If I press [fn] + [num lk] to acces the so-called number pad and strike Alt+146, nothing happens.

I really do not want to have to do this each time I need to insert an apostrophe!

My Windows language is set to Portuguese, since this give me uncomplicated access (while touch typing) to all accents in French, German and Portuguese. If I change the Windows language to En UK or En US, some of the accent keys do not work, and the keys assigned for other symbols (* % &, etc.) change, and I cannot find them.

Any change to this configuration to achieve a curly apostrophe is therefore not acceptable to me.

I have managed in Word to use the autocorrect function to change my straight apostrophe when hitting the apostrophe key on my keyboard to a curly apostrophe, without a problem. This is not really relevant, because delivery to the agency is via SDL Trados Return Package.

Unfortunately, it seems that character mapping in Windows is font dependent. My keyboard changing options do not seem to allow me to change what appears on the screen (and print) when you press an individual key (as was the case in the old days!)

I have tried to use the QuickInsert menu on Trados 2011 Start to insert the right single quotation mark to the QuickInsert menu.

I have followed the instructions to the letter, and instructed the programme to include this on the QuickInsert menu for sdlxliff and two versions of Word files. Nothing is showing on the QuickInsert menu.

The agency has sent me the correct apostrophe in an e-mail. The best suggestion so far is to copy this apostrophe into a Word document, and then copy and paste it into the sdlxliff file every time I need it.
This, in my view, is not a solution. It certainly does not seem to be "translation" either.

Nevertheless, I would like to comply with their request if possible (without purchasing new hardware, or driving myself mad in the process!).

Is there a Trados-based solution to achieve this right curly quotation mark without having to hit five or six keys each time before it happens?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

pjg111  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:21
Member (2010)
English to French
Solutions available outside Trados Aug 14, 2012

Hi Allison,

My two pence about your query:

Better search solutions outside Trados.

Some leads:
PhraseExpress utility (www.phraseexpress.com)

Postprocessing your exported files using a macro to batch search your exported files and replace any relevant occurrence of ' with ’.

HTH.

Patrick

pjg111  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to French
Another track: SDL Batch Find and Replace Aug 14, 2012

Allison,

Another idea that came to me just after my initial post:
SDL Batch Find and Replace
which is a utility that allows to batch find and replace text in several Trados Studio 2011 files.
You cannot automate it and have to make sure to use it after being finished with your translation.

HTH.

Patrick

Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Find and Replace Aug 14, 2012

I had thought of Find and Replace, but not Batch Find and Replace. Thank you for the tip, Patrick - and the link in your previous post.

Ana Cristina Gutierrez Iglesias
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
Autosuggest Aug 14, 2012

Bonjour
Je vais acheter une version Studio Freelance 2011 de SDL et je me demande s¡il est vraiment utile d'acheter Autosuggest 100 euros ou si on peut s'en passer pareil pour multiterm extract 2001 ?
Les clients démandent qu'on les utilise d'habitude ou pas ?
Que pensez-vous de Studio Freelance 2011 par rapport aux versions legacy antérieures ? Trouvez-vous qu'elles sont plus faciles ou plus difficiles à travailler ?

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Vote for customisable QuickInsert hotkeys Aug 14, 2012

The current QuickInsert arrangement is irritating (or rather pretty much useless).

Vote for a customisable system here:

http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=3914

@Cristina

AutoSuggest is useful if you have at least one 25,000-segment translation memory from which to generate an AS dictionary. Most people who have purchased AutoSuggest seem to find that it can enhance their typing speed.

MultiTerm Extract is a different program with a different purpose (terminology extraction).

AFAIK, Autosuggest is not generally required by clients while MT Extract may be useful if you need to analyse texts for vocabulary or your clients require you to deliver a glossary as well as a translation.

I find Studio is far superior to Workbench because you avoid using Word. Studio also has far less on-screen clutter than TagEditor. It may take time to get used to Studio if you are coming from WB but it will be time well spent.

But you might want to start a new thread to discuss this.

FWIW

[Edited at 2012-08-14 19:51 GMT]

Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Voted Aug 14, 2012

Giles Watson wrote:

The current QuickInsert arrangement is irritating (or rather pretty much useless).

Vote for a customisable system here:

http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=3914

Thank you, Giles! Have voted, and put my two cents' worth.

A very interesting site - and much easier to follow than any Help file I have ecnountered thus far.

Szabolcs Király  Identity Verified
Hungary
Portuguese to Hungarian
+ ...
Autohotkey Aug 26, 2012

Hi Allison,

I have the same problem (laptop etc.)
As for now, I solved it with Autohotkey. It may seem complicated at first but if you just want replace keystrokes with different ones, it's quite simple. Eg. find an empty key combination and assign it to curly quotes. With the app you can define this remapping in a text file. So think over which chars you need and find a convenient combination. (Obiously try to avoid things like Ctrl+C...)

What you can do:

1) download and install Autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com)
2) Check this page for Alt, Shift, AltGr etc. keys as you will need them: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm
3) open Notepad or Notepad++ or anything similar
Simply type the key combination you want to use for the special character followed by :: then copy the special character from Word. You can include everything in one document. Every remapping must be in a new line.
4) Save the file as Unicode text with the extension .ahk.
5) Double-click the file to launch the script and start to translate with Trados Studio or any other CAT tool.

My example:
!h::„
!j::”
!i::–
! stands for the AltGr key, h is the h key, :: is the program function and „ is the character required.
In Studio I can use AltGr+h for starting curly brackets, AltGr+j for closing one and AltGr for en dash. Practically that's it. You will have to launch the .ahk file again if you shut down the computer.

Hope that helps,
Szabolcs

Portugal
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 27, 2012

Thank you, Szabolcs. I shall give it a try.

That might be a solution. Presumably, you have had no complaints from clients about undecipherable symbols in your translations?

Szabolcs Király  Identity Verified
Hungary
Portuguese to Hungarian
+ ...
no Aug 27, 2012

No, that's another story - Autohotkey just tells the machine to print character x for the input y, like you pressed the key y. So, if the original format supports the curly apostrophes you won't have any problems.

Gurudutt Kamath  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:51
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Studio 2011, Autosuggest, Multi-term Aug 30, 2012

Hello Cristina,

Even though Studio Freelance 2011 is a beast, it is quite a good one. I am enjoying working on my first project.

Autosuggest is already existing in Studio 2011. If you have the 100 euros, most probably it will be a great utility. (Currently, you can generate an Autosuggest dictionary only if you have 25,000 segments TM!)

Multi-term is another beast. I have not yet used it in this version.

SDL has several good videos -- do check them out. Similarly, they have free webinars -- do attend them.

Good luck and good day.

Guru

Cristina Gutiérrez Iglesias wrote:

Bonjour
Je vais acheter une version Studio Freelance 2011 de SDL et je me demande s¡il est vraiment utile d'acheter Autosuggest 100 euros ou si on peut s'en passer pareil pour multiterm extract 2001 ?
Les clients démandent qu'on les utilise d'habitude ou pas ?
Que pensez-vous de Studio Freelance 2011 par rapport aux versions legacy antérieures ? Trouvez-vous qu'elles sont plus faciles ou plus difficiles à travailler ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2011 Starter: apostrophe style change/inserting symbol using keyboard shortcut

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search