Trados 2011 fails to recognize an almost exact match
Thread poster: Joji Matsuo (X)
Joji Matsuo (X)
Joji Matsuo (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:43
Japanese to English
Aug 15, 2012

I have two sentences in Japanese with only one different character. After translating one segment, I expected Trados to populate the second segment. Nothing happened. When I did a concordance on the full segment, Trados displayed this error:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

These are the two segments in question:
1st segment: 壁取付 右操作
2nd segment: 壁取付 左操作

The difference is the kanji character for right an
... See more
I have two sentences in Japanese with only one different character. After translating one segment, I expected Trados to populate the second segment. Nothing happened. When I did a concordance on the full segment, Trados displayed this error:

The difference is the kanji character for right and left.

I've used Trados since 2005 and this is the second time I can remember seeing a problem like this.

[Edited at 2012-08-15 02:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-15 02:54 GMT]
Collapse

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 22:43
English to German
+ ...
Updating the TM? Aug 17, 2012

Joji Matsuo wrote:

The difference is the kanji character for right and left.

I've used Trados since 2005 and this is the second time I can remember seeing a problem like this.

[Edited at 2012-08-15 02:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-08-15 02:54 GMT]

Are you sure the TM is set to "update" in project settings?
I had that the other day where for some reason (probably somehow my fault) the TM wasn't updating.

Joji Matsuo (X)
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not a setting issue Aug 18, 2012

Thanks for the tip, but the TM in question is definitely set to "update".
All other segments in this large file are being stored in the TM as they should. In fact, this one is too, it just wasn't being recalled.

This happened two other times with this TM and document. I suppose the internal structure of the TM could be corrupted. When I finish this job, I'll export everything to a TMX file and reimport it all into a clean empty TM.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:43
Finnish to French
Should be 65% match Aug 18, 2012

Joji Matsuo wrote:
I have two sentences in Japanese with only one different character. After translating one segment, I expected Trados to populate the second segment. Nothing happened.

FWIW, I get a 65% match with Studio 2011 SP2:

Joji Matsuo (X)
Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe the double-byte space is causing this Aug 18, 2012

Dominique

Thank you trying this out and for the screenshot.
It's unusual for Trados to flag the three characters after the double-byte space as a mismatch. Usually, it just flags the one non-matching character and reports a score of 98%.

I don't know if you entered two spaces, or one double-byte space, but it seems that the TM doesn't want to recognize anything beyond the double-byte space.

This might be because in Japanese, we don't use spaces. There
... See more
Dominique

Thank you trying this out and for the screenshot.
It's unusual for Trados to flag the three characters after the double-byte space as a mismatch. Usually, it just flags the one non-matching character and reports a score of 98%.

I don't know if you entered two spaces, or one double-byte space, but it seems that the TM doesn't want to recognize anything beyond the double-byte space.

This might be because in Japanese, we don't use spaces. There are exceptions, such as using a space to separate a person's first and last name, or to delimit or demarcate the way non-Asian languages would use a colon.

I'll have to pay closer attention to this in the future, particularly when I have a list of names to translate and see how that works out. It would make sense if the Trados developers decided not to offer fuzzy matches for what it thought was a person's name because the same character can have different readings. To a computer without the ability of understanding context, these six characters could very well be interpreted as a name.
Incidentally, in context, the first and second lines say "wall mounting: right-hand operation", and "wall mounting: left-hand operation", respectively.

[Edited at 2012-08-18 08:53 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:43
Finnish to French
I just pasted your segments into Word! Aug 18, 2012

Joji Matsuo wrote:

Well, Japanese is like ... Chinese to me, I can't speak a single word

I just pasted the segments from your post into a Word document. If they have to be formatted in a specific way, copy them into a document as they should be according to Japanese rules and make it available for download.

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:43
English to French
+ ...
Similar Issue in French Aug 18, 2012

Hi,

What about the example below:

VALVE C
VALVE D

When translating VALVE C into French, you would expect any TM to find a match for VALVE D (instead of no matches found!) - even a concordance search is useless!

Same thing if the English entry is "C" translated as « C » if the next entry is "D" = no match!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2011 fails to recognize an almost exact match

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »